IGNORED

What's it like living in Tontitown/Springdale

Nic

I've seen the older girls out with just the two of them several times, and I've seen Jana with just some little kids. Never seen any of them out alone, though.

Do their fans realize that their adult children aren't allowed to leave their property on their own? As I was typing the above I wasn't thinking much about it since it's very typical for the Duggars and others we discuss here, but it hit me how incredibly controlling and cult-like it would sound to a complete outsider.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've seen the older girls out with just the two of them several times, and I've seen Jana with just some little kids. Never seen any of them out alone, though.

Do their fans realize that their adult children aren't allowed to leave their property on their own? As I was typing the above I wasn't thinking much about it since it's very typical for the Duggars and others we discuss here, but it hit me how incredibly controlling and cult-like it would sound to a complete outsider.

For me, it sounds totally whacky and unbelievable. Especially thinking about the adult girls. I think of what a PITA it would be to have to grab someone if I just wanted to make a quick run to the store. Life sounds like a constant negotiating and compromise. And this is a small town not Gotham.

For me, it sounds totally whacky and unbelievable. Especially thinking about the adult girls. I think of what a PITA it would be to have to grab someone if I just wanted to make a quick run to the store. Life sounds like a constant negotiating and compromise. And this is a small town not Gotham.

It is whacky - but Mullet and Boob have extreme trust issues. I'm not sure which one of the two is worse though.

The bolded is exactly how I feel about their dating chaperone system. Like they said, Jill & Derrick bribed the kids with candy. There you have it.

I have a friend in the NW Arkansas who swears she saw Jim Bob when she was working at a strip club (not in Arkansas, but over the state line in Missouri). Take this with a grain of salt, but my friend said she was "99 percent" sure it was him, that he seemed very awkward and uncomfortable and left before getting a lap dance. This was a couple years ago, though I just heard the story earlier this year.

I consider this friend trustworthy. She knows who the Duggars are (it's hard not to in that area). I told her, "If you had pictures, you could make a lot of money from TMZ, you know." And she said, "I know!"

I'm still not sure it happened, though, because that would be so out of character for any Duggar. Maybe it was Jim Bob's cousin or something? But I also don't know why she would make it up. If it is true, I figure stuff like this will come out in the inevitable tell-all a few years down the road.

I have a friend in the NW Arkansas who swears she saw Jim Bob when she was working at a strip club (not in Arkansas, but over the state line in Missouri). Take this with a grain of salt, but my friend said she was "99 percent" sure it was him, that he seemed very awkward and uncomfortable and left before getting a lap dance. This was a couple years ago, though I just heard the story earlier this year.

I consider this friend trustworthy. She knows who the Duggars are (it's hard not to in that area). I told her, "If you had pictures, you could make a lot of money from TMZ, you know." And she said, "I know!"

I'm still not sure it happened, though, because that would be so out of character for any Duggar. Maybe it was Jim Bob's cousin or something? But I also don't know why she would make it up. If it is true, I figure stuff like this will come out in the inevitable tell-all a few years down the road.

Maybe it was John-David? LOOOL. If it was JB, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. He seems like a huge horn-dog.

Maybe it was John-David? LOOOL. If it was JB, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. He seems like a huge horn-dog.

Yes, on some level, I would not be surprised at all. That man is obsessed with the sex lives of his entire family.

I guess I would be surprised based on the character JB tries to project, ya know? He's so holier-than-thou about purity and such.

Though, hey, maybe strippers are OK, as long as he doesn't kiss them before marriage. :wink-kitty:

They are pretty famous. Maybe it is a safety issue at this point.

My thought exactly. I wouldn't put it past some people to try to trick one of the kids into an embarrassing situation. Snap a pic, get a video. The Duggars probably need someone to have their back in public.

I can't imagine John-David is constantly chaperoned, what with all the flying he does. I wonder if Jana looks at all the freedom her twin brother has and wonders what she's missing. :(

I can't imagine John-David is constantly chaperoned, what with all the flying he does. I wonder if Jana looks at all the freedom her twin brother has and wonders what she's missing. :(

I wonder if Jana has those thoughts when she looks at Amy or if Jana really sees the world the way her parents have painted it for her.

I find it difficult to believe that JD always has a chaperone or companion, but I easily believe the girls are never allowed to go anywhere alone, even if the companion is a much younger sib.

That makes it sound even worse, doesn't it? There's that extra component of misogyny that their daughters aren't allowed out alone while their sons are.

My thought exactly. I wouldn't put it past some people to try to trick one of the kids into an embarrassing situation. Snap a pic, get a video. The Duggars probably need someone to have their back in public.

It's not like they have security. Jana alone no good, but Jana with Hannie A-OK?

Maybe Jana, Jinger, Joy put up w the restrictions that JD (and Joseph? Does he have a 24/7 accountability partner?) is exempt from bc they do get some pride in saying hey we're pure, we walk the talk and can prove it. It's whacky.

But it's hard to imagine having that many kids and none of them ever saying to JB/JC WHY CANT YOU TRUST ME?? That's like a teen rite of passage.

Can a Duggar kid leave compound w Cousin Amy or a friend?

It's not like they have security. Jana alone no good, but Jana with Hannie A-OK?

Maybe Jana, Jinger, Joy put up w the restrictions that JD (and Joseph? Does he have a 24/7 accountability partner?) is exempt from bc they do get some pride in saying hey we're pure, we walk the talk and can prove it. It's whacky.

But it's hard to imagine having that many kids and none of them ever saying to JB/JC WHY CANT YOU TRUST ME?? That's like a teen rite of passage.

Can a Duggar kid leave compound w Cousin Amy or a friend?

Re bolded: To which JB, like my mother, says, "It's not that I don't trust you, it's that I know better than to trust everybody else."

Re bolded: To which JB, like my mother, says, "It's not that I don't trust you, it's that I know better than to trust everybody else."

I was trying to make more of a statement that I don't think the kids ASK for the freedom vs they do but the parents have a wide variety ways of saying NO.

What it really is like living near the Duggars? Well, on a quiet night, legends say that you can faintly hear the sound of Michelle's uterus screaming for freedom.

There's an interesting reddit AMA on this. Not sure if the guy is legit (probably not, although he does have pictures to prove it), but it's still an interesting read (he's claimed to have seen Jinger out on her own on one very, very rare occasion).

Here's the link:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/sr9bh/ama_i_live_right_down_the_street_from_the_duggars/

EDIT: The OP of the reddit thread apparently was verified by the moderators that he actually lives in Tontitown/knows the Duggars.

There's an interesting reddit AMA on this. Not sure if the guy is legit (probably not, although he does have pictures to prove it), but it's still an interesting read (he's claimed to have seen Jinger out on her own on one very, very rare occasion).

Here's the link:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/sr9bh/ama_i_live_right_down_the_street_from_the_duggars/

EDIT: The OP of the reddit thread apparently was verified by the moderators that he actually lives in Tontitown/knows the Duggars.

Old link????

I have a friend who used to live near the Duggars. The only thing he could tell me about them was that he hated being in line behind them at aldi's because they always took FOREVER. He was glad when he got rich enough to shop someplace else.

Old link????

Is the link not working? (this is my second post, so if it's not redirecting you to reddit, I can repost it).

Unfortunately it was from 3 years ago. But I bet if you guys had some questions for the OP of the reddit thread, you could create a reddit account and PM him your questions.

Here's the link:

This was a pretty interesting read. Since it's dated back two years ago, I wonder if anything has changed. There has been a resurgence of the Duggar brand this past year, so I'm curious to know if they are still humble about their success. Also, I can totally see Jinger being a speed demon! Someone buy her a motorcycle and a leather jacket because starting a biker gang is her calling lol. :cracking-up:

This topic was actually the reason I decided to stop lurking and make an account, but I didn't have anywhere to post my (admittedly kinda boring) info until now. One of my friends from college moved in with her parents, who had relocated to NW Arkansas from the East Coast. She knew I was unreasonably interested in the Duggars (especially because I'm a leftist and should know better) and told me she went out on a date with one of the cameramen! I freaked out and asked her tons of info, but the only thing he told her was that Jessa was "totally a bitch". She didn't like the fact that he called a woman that, and they went on only one more date. The area as a whole though, especially Fayetteville, sounds really beautiful and kind of liberal in some areas. She hasn't had a lot of trouble finding like-minded people, but she lives in an actual town, whereas the Duggars live pretty far out.

And see, I've heard an identical story, only it was Josh at the strip club in DC when he was living there with Anna and the M'kids.

Wonder which version is true, if any? :think:

This topic was actually the reason I decided to stop lurking and make an account, but I didn't have anywhere to post my (admittedly kinda boring) info until now. One of my friends from college moved in with her parents, who had relocated to NW Arkansas from the East Coast. She knew I was unreasonably interested in the Duggars (especially because I'm a leftist and should know better) and told me she went out on a date with one of the cameramen! I freaked out and asked her tons of info, but the only thing he told her was that Jessa was "totally a bitch". She didn't like the fact that he called a woman that, and they went on only one more date. The area as a whole though, especially Fayetteville, sounds really beautiful and kind of liberal in some areas. She hasn't had a lot of trouble finding like-minded people, but she lives in an actual town, whereas the Duggars live pretty far out.

Omg he could've called ME a bitch and I would've kept dating him until I squeezed every last drop of Duggary goodness out of him. (That sentence is unintentionally seedy.)

And welcome! My lefty friends tell me the same thing. I say that I'm just keeping an eye of the other side.

Archived