IGNORED

The Mallys Ruin Air Travel

GeoBQn

I've always been told that where there's 4 Episcopalians, there's bound to be a fifth.

And I would have told little miss Mally to STFU and then maybe pulled up some inappropriate reading material on my laptop

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've always been told that where there's 4 Episcopalians, there's bound to be a fifth.

And I would have told little miss Mally to STFU and then maybe pulled up some inappropriate reading material on my laptop

That! (And coffee is the third sacrament, right up there with the bread and wine. I actually think there would be a bigger riot on Sunday mornings if there was no coffee than if there was no wine for communion.)

And one wonders why a Mally has yet to meet Prince Charming. I always forgot how much I want to dropkick Grace Mally. She's right up there with Erika Shupe and my new hate-read, Lisa Pennington.

I have a theory that deep down she doesn't want to get married because then she'd have to give up her career as a professional virgin. unlike a lot of other SAHDs she's definitely been able to make a pretty good living off of her buiness. ironically with all the travel and networking she's doing at christian convrntions she's probably in a better position to meet somebody then say in maxwell girl or a botkin girl

Teach them about the church of the flying spaghetti monster. That should shut them up.

Tell them about your weekly ritual of sacrificing a goat. Politely invite them to the next sacrifice.

Even if I knew that no other seats were available, I would be really tempted to call the flight attendant to say, loudly, that Ms. Professional Virgin (love that!) was harassing me, just for the public shaming aspect of it.

[yes, I know that isn't very Christian of me. : )]

Does that actually work? So many flights are overlooked that I can imagine the flight attendant saying, "We have no other seats. Deal with it."

If there were seats, I bet they would. You make a polite issue out of the other patron's harassment of you, use buzzwords like "offensive", "bigoted", "inappropriate", "harassment", "discomfort", "affront to my dearly held religious beliefs", I would bet you'd be getting the premium meal in no time. :lol: :lol:

Tell them about your weekly ritual of sacrificing a goat. Politely invite them to the next sacrifice.

Invite them to the next meeting of your coven.

Seriously, when I encounter a stranger asking me if I am saved, spiritual, got religion or whatever, I tell them it's a personal question and I not going to discuss personal issues with people I don't know. If they persist, I just keep repeating and start glaring at them because I mean it. I can be polite at first but asking again will seriously piss me off.

I absolutely do not like people talking to me as if I was never raised with any kind of religion because I was, don't know about Jesus because I do, probably studied more damn bible and theology than they ever did, that I have no spirituality or any kind of sense of the divine all because I don't go to their particular church or believe in their particular religion. I find it offensive and I lose my patience very quickly and obviously when accosted by these folks.

I'd probably just say I'm an atheist, I don't believe in the concept of God, heaven or that Jesus was anything except a charismatic man who happened to get noticed at the right time. Then, get a stiff drink as soon as possible- a double Rum & Coke or Jack & Ginger.

I don't meet evangelicals very often. (Of course, now that I've said that, they will start coming out of the woodwork.) However, I do fly. The only time someone didn't respect the earbuds was when I was seated next to two elders who a.) were terrified the plane would crash if I didn't turn everything completely off and take the earbuds out of my ears and b.) They every much wanted to tell me about their grandchildren. It was a short flight, and my job does involve making relationships, so I obliged. Grudgingly.

Otherwise, no. Don't talk to me on a plane.

I don't mind conversing with people seated next to me but most of them are more interested in sleeping/reading/listening to their ipods or something else other than talking. Have had some pretty pleasant conversations though. But so far, no one has tried to save me and I am not anxious for that to change.

Ok. I don't travel by plane much. Maybe every other year. But this summer I'm flying from New York to Honolulu. Direct flight. Ten fricken hours. What if I meet a person who wants to save me? In my youth I would have said shut up you dickweed, or eat shit and die or f*uck off. But now I am a middle aged woman with class(well not really, but want to play the part).

Can I have a bunch of smart lines to get them to shut up and be scared of me, my husband and/or my son. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

On very rare occasions, I have found this method fairly effective. Just stare at them and say nothing. If possible, keep a blank look on your face. Complete silence combined with simply staring at them usually results in that person becoming uncomfortable and eventually moving on. Do not engage.

Or, I've occasionally responded with "I do not talk to strangers," followed by silence and returning to reading my book/magazine. I find personal and invasive questions unacceptable.

I don't meet evangelicals very often. (Of course, now that I've said that, they will start coming out of the woodwork.) However, I do fly. The only time someone didn't respect the earbuds was when I was seated next to two elders who a.) were terrified the plane would crash if I didn't turn everything completely off and take the earbuds out of my ears and b.) They every much wanted to tell me about their grandchildren. It was a short flight, and my job does involve making relationships, so I obliged. Grudgingly.

Otherwise, no. Don't talk to me on a plane.

I can understand that they are old and may have flown before on-air movies, video games and radio were a thing... but did these people not realize that the airliners hand out headphones? :cray-cray:

In my experience evangelicals do not know how to respond when you tell them you're Jewish. Especially if you're the kind of fundie who wants the jews to go back to Isreal so we can bring Jesus back.

Is it wrong that I got a kick out of how she approached a JW? Instant karma right there.

Otherwise, she sounds pretty annoying and self-righteous.

If you're alone or with a somewhat-close-in-age same-gender friend or relative, look at the proselytizer, deadpan, and say "I'm gay." And maybe hold your friend or relative's hand. If they try to say you can be "fixed" or whatever, get an attendant and say the person is harassing you.

If my wife and I ran into the Mallys, we would definitely play up our same-gender relationship, and ask that we be moved or swap seats. Using words like "bigot" and "harassing my family."

Fundies are just so antigay, and people should have to face consequences, like embarrassment, for their backwards views on that.

I fly quite a bit, but rarely do I get in a chatty situation, since it is usually for business and the plane is filled with business people.

I am not someone who talks much to the people who are around me when they are not business people. I am polite, I'll had you your peanuts or whatever, butI"m not going to ever ask about why you are going where ever the hell you are going. And if you tell me, I'll listen, but I won't ask for details because I don't care.

Her spiel sounds like every other cold call I deal with, and since I'm not wanting what she is selling, I would handle it like a cold call.

Simple one word answers and after about the second or third leading question, I answer with "Why? or "Why do you ask?"

She then has to lie and say she is interested in my spiritual background (which leads to another "why" from me." Or tell me the truth which is she wants to preach at or convert me... where upon I say "no thank you" or Been there done that , or Don't teach your granny to suck eggs, virgin.

Thank you for all the wonderful ideas. I am imagining doing many of them with a smile on my face. I don't know which is the best. Well, they all are :lol: !

I've never had much problem with this. Usually I smile politely and say no thanks and have a good day. They smile back and say, you too. But one time guy knocks on my front door inviting me to some sort of Jesus thing. I said no thanks. Then he said, I think I know you and he told me accurate information about me and my son, including in what I perceived was a judgemental tone, your son has autism. I said no thank you again, and calmly closed and locked the door which is unusual for where I live. Then I called my son in who was playing out back. He came back once more. Again I said no thanks and he made a face at me. The best I could describe as snarling. Haven't seen him since.

There was one funny time, well I laugh now. I was in the process of divorce and having a bad day and was crying uncontrollably. The door bell rings and I answer it sobbing. She didn't know what to say. She handed me a track and I handed her a buck. She didn't say a word. I think I scared the hell out of her.

I've had Mormons walk up to me while I'm sitting on a park bench smoking a cigarette. And it's like hey, if I haven't managed to give this up for the sake of my own health, do you really think I'm going to do it because some kid in a tie told me that God wants me to? I've also had evangelicals blow right past me when I told them that I thought their questions were too personal. I think for a lot of these folks, the very fact that you are obviously not interested just eggs them on-- look, this poor lost soul REALLY needs me!

ETA: What I'm getting at is that if you even start to get engaged in the conversation, they are not likely to let up. Better to say "no thanks, I'm busy right now, have a nice day."

Salex, I love your idea of treating proselytizing like a cold call!

I also don't have much problem on airplanes. I agree is that the key is, don't engage.

Sometimes I feel that folks--especially older ones--"respect" the "do not disturb" symbolism of printed reading material in your hand more than earbuds in your ears.

When it comes to knocking on my door, if I am not expecting anyone, I don't answer. I don't care who it is, only exception are my neighbors because I recognize them and if they are there, then there is a reason. We have had a lot of JWs come around again and they are getting a bit more aggressive with knocking several times very loudly and then shoving the tracks between the door and door jamb.

A few years ago, Mr. No did answer the door to one of the JW's. Had a polite convo with the guy but I had to ask after he closed the door why he engaged this person. It's your house you can open to whomever you want and you can close the door to whomever you want. The guy came back several times in hopes of more conversations and a chance to save Mr. No

Totally insane that she did this, though I am not totally surprised. I wonder which airport in New York she was in that their were JW w/ a table.

We have had a lot of JWs come around again and they are getting a bit more aggressive with knocking several times very loudly and then shoving the tracks between the door and door jamb

For JWs, explain that you're really busy right then but you'll have some time next week. Then call the Mormons and set up a house call with them at the same time. Enjoy the fireworks.

As far as stuff like the original poster mentioned, if they don't take a polite hint I'd just reply with something along the line of "I gave up imaginary friends at age 6. Aren't you a little old to still be believing in them?"

Here's what I do:

Hand up-palm toward the offender's face, while simultaneously saying, no thank you, sir or ma'am. All said and done with a smile on my face.

From experience on many interminable transatlantic plane trips, asking flight attendants to be moved on long over-crowded flights does not work. Whatever the provocation.

Neither does any form of speech/interaction. It just encourages the questioning/annoying party.

What does work is channeling Paddington Bear. Meet the questioner's eyes and fix them with a Hard Stare TM. Hold the Hard Stare without saying anything until they drop their eyes (it only takes about 7 seconds.) Now ostentatiously turn your shoulder to them and ignore them for the rest of the flight.

Problem solved!

Archived