IGNORED

The Mallys Ruin Air Travel

GeoBQn

The Mallys can't let one fucking flight go without proselytizing to people.

tomorrowsforefathers.com/gracenotes/?p=14241

I live 30 minutes away from them. We fly out of the same airport, and I admit that I am a little worried about running into them.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would looooooove to sit next to them. They can't out Bible me. :lol: And instead of them making me feel uncomfortable, I bet I could make them squirm.

I would straight up freak out if this happened to me. I love to discuss religion and have beliefs mostly in line with (most) fundies, but oh my goodness... I want to read or listen to music on flights. I do not want to talk to the person next to me.

WOW! Condescending much? The first person flat out told her "we strongly believe in tolerance" and she compares him to Hitler...to his face? But " The whole conversation was very gracious and respectful". I'm sure it was....not!

I actually ran into some LDS in my complex one night and they started trying to proselytize to me, not knowing that I am a gay agnostic/atheist (I go back and fourth) raised in a Jewish household. I just kept telling them I wasn't interested in being 'saved" and kept trying to walk around them. They kept stopping me and insisting that anyone was able to be saved and didn't I want to spend eternity in Heaven? Finally I just looked the girl in the face and said "I'm gay and, according to your gospel, that means I'm burning in hell. Now Excuse me." She actually had the nerve to reply "God will fix that if you truly repent of your sins!"

I couldn't resist, and for this I know I'm going to hell, but I replied "can't repent when I love having sex with women!" She blushed a million colors and stepped away! :dance:

I hate people that shove religion down your throat and insist that they, and only they, are right! Those people had more patience than me because, as you can see, I get tired of it really quick and my brain to mouth filter fails me. I hate when it happens, but, push me hard enough and I can't help it!

***edited because I realized I didn't finish my thought properly***

lol i can't believe she actually invoked godwin's law so easily :lol: oh, fundies, y'all are so precious.

i hope i never end up sitting next to her, either. going off of what i read from her take on things, she's not open to seeing things any way than what she sees them. so, if she tried to ask me about how i grew up and if i was spiritual or not, i'd just say, "i'm sorry, that's a personal question that i'm not going to discuss with a stranger." if she tries to press further, i'll give her the, "fuck off, lady, i don't have the patience for your ilk."

This is why I travel with earbuds (or bud in my case–they're welcome to yammer endlessly in my deaf ear) and an iPad. Nothing says "STFU" like plugging in and tuning out.

I'm flying next week, but the chances of anyone proselytizing to me on the plane are vanishingly small since I'm flying to Las Vegas! :lol:

Aren't they in Iowa? I fly into DSM often. I will have to stay alert for whiny-voiced jean skirts next time.

A lot of witnessing stories sound 100% fake, but I believe the one about the Episcopalian man. It sounds like she found a very patient and thoughtful stranger who slowly became uncomfortable as he realized how deeply wacky she is.

The way she talks about how "special" it was to make friends with the Orthodox woman is a little squicky. I don't know anyone who talks about their real, actual friends like that.

I just read their post. Oh my goodness! I'm an Episcopalian, so that bit about witnessing to the Episcopalian in the airport floored me.

First of all, I thought the guy was very polite to her. Really, really polite!

Second of all, there is an old joke that if you ask 100 Episcopalians a theology question, you might get 100 different answers. We are encouraged to think for ourselves, and sometimes we come to different conclusions. In general, we agree on trying to live by the Golden Rule and we very often don't take the Bible literally. We like to look at the Bible metaphorically and consider historical relevance.

Thirdly, we pride ourselves on being tolerant. My priest explained it this way - After King Henry VIII (divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived - yeah, that guy) died, England went into a period of religious conflict. Throw Oliver Cromwell in there as well just to add to the fun. Some churches ended up being Catholic-light, and some were closer to Protestant. Everyone was exhausted at this point, so they decided that The Book of Common Prayer and the Nicene Creed were all the common ground necessary. Diversity of opinion is good.

Fourthly (is that a word?), I believe that people are saved by grace not by works. I have a different opinion than airport Episcopalian. See point #2.

Fifthly (why stop now), I think it's super obnoxious to bother people when they are a captive audience.

Oh, and her Hitler comment was way out of line!

Edited because I thought of more stuff to say. Oh, and grammar too.

Aren't they in Iowa? I fly into DSM often. I will have to stay alert for whiny-voiced jean skirts next time.

A lot of witnessing stories sound 100% fake, but I believe the one about the Episcopalian man. It sounds like she found a very patient and thoughtful stranger who slowly became uncomfortable as he realized how deeply wacky she is.

The way she talks about how "special" it was to make friends with the Orthodox woman is a little squicky. I don't know anyone who talks about their real, actual friends like that.

I wondered if "She seemed deep in thought for a while." were really "she's tuning me out and trying to calm down her appropriate anger and frustration at me" because it was followed by a change in topic. "After that we began talking about various life issues and became better friends..."

If she started yammering at me, I just might ask her if she is still waiting for Prince Charming.

And one wonders why a Mally has yet to meet Prince Charming. I always forgot how much I want to dropkick Grace Mally. She's right up there with Erika Shupe and my new hate-read, Lisa Pennington.

:roll:

Her subject headings make these people sound like specimens, identifiable only by their heathen dogmas.

"Episcopalian Man" sounds like a display label at a museum of natural history. Y'know:

bcOOyp4.jpg

EM3YTXV.jpg

W1QSHGa.jpg

:roll:

Her subject headings make these people sound like specimens, identifiable only by their heathen dogmas.

"Episcopalian Man" sounds like a display label at a museum of natural history. Y'know:

bcOOyp4.jpg

EM3YTXV.jpg

W1QSHGa.jpg

Thoughtful, are you sure that is Episcopalian Man?

It looks just like David Pecan Thief Waller.

Thoughtful, are you sure that is Episcopalian Man?

It looks just like David Pecan Thief Waller.

Pecan thief would have his shirt tucked in unlike that unholy heathen

Ok. I don't travel by plane much. Maybe every other year. But this summer I'm flying from New York to Honolulu. Direct flight. Ten fricken hours. What if I meet a person who wants to save me? In my youth I would have said shut up you dickweed, or eat shit and die or f*uck off. But now I am a middle aged woman with class(well not really, but want to play the part).

Can I have a bunch of smart lines to get them to shut up and be scared of me, my husband and/or my son. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Pecan thief would have his shirt tucked in unlike that unholy heathen

And David Waller is paler than that.

Ok. I don't travel by plane much. Maybe every other year. But this summer I'm flying from New York to Honolulu. Direct flight. Ten fricken hours. What if I meet a person who wants to save me? In my youth I would have said shut up you dickweed, or eat shit and die or f*uck off. But now I am a middle aged woman with class(well not really, but want to play the part).

Can I have a bunch of smart lines to get them to shut up and be scared of me, my husband and/or my son. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Teach them about the church of the flying spaghetti monster. That should shut them up.

I probably wouldn't have the nerve to do it, but what pops into my mind is answering the first question about my spiritual life by cheerfully asking "How much do you weigh? Do you squeeze your zits? How many times a week do you have sex? Are you wearing an adult diaper?"

Then waiting a few beats (I'm assuming shocked silence would ensue), and chirping "Oh! I'm sorry, I thought you wanted to have a conversation entirely composed of inappropriately private questions."

Teach them about the church of the flying spaghetti monster. That should shut them up.

Thanks. If that doesn't work I can say I am of the domination of the Invisible Pink Unicorn. I forgot about that and FSM. Thanks.

Nah. Tell the flight attendant you are being harassed by your seatmate and demand to be moved to first class.

Does that actually work? So many flights are overlooked that I can imagine the flight attendant saying, "We have no other seats. Deal with it."

I'm at least middle-aged (in fact, I might even be old) but eat shit and die, fuck off, or calling someone a dickweed work for me. Ouiser Boudreaux, a Southern woman of a certain age, told Drum Eatonton to eat shit and die in Steel Magnolias.

Archived