IGNORED

Do the Duggars vaccinate?

sidehugger

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I researched the chicken pox vaccine pretty well a couple years ago when my kids were due to get it. There was really only one long term study (probably because it's such a new vaccine) but it showed that the vaccine was very reliable even into adulthood. It also showed that those who got chicken pox after being vaccinated had much more mild cases--even if they caught it as teens or adults (when there's a higher risk of complications). That sold me on the vaccine for my kids when I had previously been on the fence.

One thing I have wondered is if so many vaccinated people get chicken pox because a relatively high number of people don't hold immunity to chicken pox naturally. I knew several people in high school who had caught it multiple times. I actually know one crazy mom I went to high school with who has had chicken pox something like 7 times. She got it every time it went around the neighborhood as a kid and then still decided not to vaccinate so she gets it again every time one of her kids catches it. (Everyone else I knew who got it twice appeared to be immune after the second time.) I know they recommend a second dose of the chicken pox vaccine because of a relatively low rate of immunity after just one dose. (One dose of chicken pox vaccine is something like 85% effective compared to say one does of measles vaccine which is 95% effective.) So that may be related to the lower rate of natural immunity.

Chicken pox is the one vaccine that I understand when parents are wary of it or decide against it. It's relatively new and there were so many breakthrough cases before they started recommending the 2nd dose that it didn't seem to be as effective. While chicken pox can have serious complications (as the previous poster who was hospitalized mentioned), it doesn't have the same history of complications that measles or polio had so it's easier to see it as not a serious concern.

I have never heard the Duggars express an opinion on vaccination, but I could see them deciding against the chicken pox vaccine even if they got other regular vaccines.

I will say that pre-TLC, the Duggars were so isolated from everyone that the risk of coming in contact with stuff probably seemed very unlikely to them.

Given all their "missionary work" in developing countries, I imagine they have had to have certain vaccinations. If Joe's college is like most colleges around the country, he probably has had to have boosters and Meningitis shots to be accepted. With all their running around outside and accident prone boys... those kids would probably have had to have tetanus shots.

Credit where credit is due... they do seem to pay a lot of attention to the physical health and wellbeing of their kids. They took their daughter to a plastic surgeon to get her lip stitched up... I think they probably have the very basic vaccinations. Probably not yearly flu shots though.

I'm nearly 30 and have never had chicken pox; however I get my vaccine every year for it. I do NOT want to pass that on to anyone.

If the kids aren't vaccinated it would be because the Duggars are either: A) disorganized or B) too cheap (are vaccines covered under insurance? I know when I had my kids, nearly 28 and 25 years ago, they were not. I highly doubt Michelle or JB researched all those vaccines and decided that for various reasons they were anti- the protocol.

These are people who fed babies lying on their backs and straight out of a can...let the kids walk on the counters, and sleep in pack and plays until they are eligible for Kindergarten.

Research= work

Work takes effort.

The Duggars are not keen on work (as far as I can tell).

If the Duggars have half a brain, they'll vaccinate for anything and everything they can. Some people (like myself) cannot get certain vaccinations and we rely on herd immunity. Babies under 6 months, people with certain illnesses, and elderly people cannot get vaccinated. Do the world a favor and vaccinate your kids.

My son is another one who was vaccinated for chicken pox and got it anyway, but it was a really mild case. He caught it from my husband who had shingles. We didn't even know what shingles looked like or would have expected someone as young as my husband to get it, well we know now!

As for the Duggars, I bet they do vaccinate the kids now. They'd have to for all the out of country trips they've taken.

When I traveled to Ghana the only vaccine that was required was the yellow fever vaccine. Others such as typhoid were "highly recommended" but not required. You had to bring proof with you that you received the vaccine and had to present it almost as soon as you got off the plane. The requirements are the same for all countries where yellow fever is still endemic. I would imagine that a reputable missionary program would require their workers to be vaccinate but I'm not too sure how reputable the missionary programs are that the Duggars use. (I received all recommended vaccines for my trip to Ghana. They are recommended for a reason. I even opted to get a polio booster).

Chicken pox can be a very serious illness. My son contracted encephalitis as a complication of chicken pox. We were very lucky; he responded very well to the anti virals used to treat him and made a full recovery. I live in the UK, where we don't vaccinate against chicken pox, therefore everyone pretty much gets cp. He is the only person I ever heard of having such a serious complication, but still, I know if I had any kids who hadn't had cp, I'd vaccinate them for sure.

My cousin's child got chicken pox internally when he was 3. He was in the hospital for four days. He was born in 1997 and the vaccine was fairly new and my cousin decided not to do it. She regretted it. I don't think complications are common, but when they happen they can be extremely serious.

Probably not, and as others have stated, because they all had Chicken Pox. but on the other hand, Dim Bob once told his kids that BECAUSE they've had Chicken Pox, they will never get Shingles when they get older. It might eve be possible that they've had other vaccines, but he let them get the pox on purpose because he thought that he was doing them and their immune systems a favor.

Jim Bob is a special kind of stupid. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

the reason people don't get shingles (that have had chicken pox) was b/c they would be exposed to kids that have the chicken pox through out their lives--being around active pox builds up the bodies immunity to it (like a booster shot if you will) but with the invention of this vaccine less kids are getting chicken pox and therefore denying "boosters" to those who had it before there was a vaccine

One complication of chix pox that hasn't been mentioned is serious skin infections that result from scratching. Think MRSA.

For all their faults they don't seem like the anti-vax type to me. You have to get some vaccinations to be able to travel a lot of places too, so I would think they probably have them.

Unless I am completely uninformed (and I don't think I am as Ihave traveled out of the country lol), the only vaccine that is actually required by law is the Yellow Fever vaccine - and you only have to get it if you go to specific countries in South America or Africa ( I think). I actually read an anti-vax thread on FB once about people taking their kids to Haiti, and wanting to know how to prevent the diseases that were vaccine-preventable.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
Slightly off topic:

I seriously wonder what was going through my head when I went through my anti-vax phase. I consider myself so lucky that I didn't get sick when I traveled to a developing country and did not get any vaccines such as typhoid, hep a, etc. Now that I am preparing to go back to that country long-term, I am getting all those vaccines. ;)

They'd be idiots to not get tetanus boosters. Back when they were building the TTH and handling raw materials and power tools, to all the outside "playing & exploring" they do now. Some of those middle boys must have stepped on nails, slashed open their skin, etc, on metal enough times for them all to get tetanus shots. If not, they are more stupid than I thought.

I really doubt that Crown College, being a hot mess of fundydom, requires any vaccines.

I have a feeling that the Duggars vaccinate, but that perhaps the Bates haven't, which is totally irresponsible.

It would be stupid and reckless to go on mission "trips" (or vacations) to underdeveloped countries without needed immunizations. Unfortunately, since no Central American country requires US citizens to have visas, that can't be enforced on Duggars or Bates. The Philippines, where some Bates and Duggar bros went, also doesn't require visas.

China, however, does require US citizens to have a visa, but I don't know if immunizations are involved.

I doubt that.

According to the Arkansas regs at http://www.healthy.arkansas.gov/aboutad ... wifery.pdf, page 12, all that is required for a midwife apprentice permit is:

1. A copy of high school diploma, GED certificate, or highest degree attained.

2. Negative TB skin test, negative chest x-ray or valid health card.

3. Date of rubell a immunization or proof of immune status. This documentation

is required only with the first application for the permit.

4. Current certification by the American Red Cross or the American Heart

Association to provide cardio-pulmonary resuscitation to adults and infants

It's surprising to see the requirements for certain permits, programs or jobs.

When I was looking into things to do after University, I thought the Child and Youth Worker program would be a good fit. Both colleges required all students to have a flu shot, I'm assuming because part of the course includes a practicum. I noped it all the way to another program I ended up being able to take for free (Didn't get a job in that area, but it was an interesting experience)

According to the Arkansas regs at http://www.healthy.arkansas.gov/aboutad ... wifery.pdf, page 12, all that is required for a midwife apprentice permit is:

1. A copy of high school diploma, GED certificate, or highest degree attained.

2. Negative TB skin test, negative chest x-ray or valid health card.

3. Date of rubell a immunization or proof of immune status. This documentation

is required only with the first application for the permit.

4. Current certification by the American Red Cross or the American Heart

Association to provide cardio-pulmonary resuscitation to adults and infants

That's interesting. Just the one since it's dangerous for pregnant women. I'm sure it varies by state.

Wouldn't they all be dangerous for pregnant women?

I think Rubella has the highest likelihood of causing birth defects. It's an illness that is, typically, very minor, and sometimes unnoticed by an otherwise healthy person. However, it can have devastating results on a fetus. A woman exposed to the virus between 28 days prior to getting pregnant and 26 weeks pregnant can result in a high rate of miscarriages or chance for developmental problems (both physical and mental) of the fetus.

I looked up shots for Nepal. All the basics like MMR, Tetanus, etc are required. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destination ... none/nepal

Doesn't look like they are required in the sense that anyone checks. I've traveled to countries where Tetanus is recommended (basically anywhere haha) and no one has check -- and thank heavens, because I had a very bad reaction to the vaccine and was advised to skip it.

The big required vaccine is Yellow Fever -- countries without it want to avoid it, so if you've been to places where they have it, you tend to need a certificate of vaccination if you go elsewhere.

Archived