IGNORED

Oklahoma GOP wants to restrict marriage to people of faith

lilah

This is ridiculous

Atheists need not apply: A bill proposed by Oklahoma Republicans would restrict the right to marry to people of faith, and would mandate all marriage licenses be approved by a member of the clergy.

House Bill 1125, filed on Tuesday by Republican State Representative Todd Russ, is a radical measure that would end secular marriage licenses in the state. In addition, the bill would bar all judges and other secular officials from performing marriages in Oklahoma.

Russ claims the radical legislation is motivated by his desire to protect court clerks from having to issue licenses to same-sex couples. Russ says he doesn’t want these workers put in the position of having to condone or facilitate same-sex marriage.

The lawmaker is unapologetic about the fact his bill would restrict marriage to people of faith. Concerning non-believers he said:

Quote:

They don’t have a spiritual basis for a marriage and don’t want to have a clergy member or a priest or someone involved in the spiritual aspect, then they can file an affidavit of common-law marriage.

Russ claims those not wanting to get married by a religious official could file an affidavit through the court clerk’s office claiming common-law marriage. However, as KSWO-TV reports Oklahoma does not currently recognize common law marriages.

In fact, Russ says under House Bill 1125 a marriage would have to be signed off by a preacher, minister, priest, rabbi or ecclesiastical dignitary. Which would seem to restrict the right to marry to Christians and Jews.

The bill is ludicrous on many levels, and it would be laughable if it were not such a mean spirited attempt to prevent people from entering into a legal marriage recognized by the state.

For the record, marriage is a legal contract between two consenting adults, and as a legal contract it is governed by the state. A wedding, on the other hand, may or may not be a religious ceremony, depending upon the wishes of the couple.

If conservative Christians could only understand this simple and basic distinction, which in many ways mirrors the constitutional distinction between church and state, a great deal of time, energy, and taxpayer money could be saved, and used towards more productive ends.

As it is, House Bill 1125 is Christian bigotry, pure and simple. The bill is a naked attempt to force Christian theocracy upon the citizens of Oklahoma.

A toxic combination of anti-gay discrimination and discrimination against non-theists, the bill is emblematic of the dangerous and hateful nature of conservative Christianity in America.

Read more: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressiv ... z3PssheyV7

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And this will totally pass the muster with the US Supreme Court, I am sure. This is what was elected, folks.

"Atheists need not apply: A bill proposed by Oklahoma Republicans would restrict the right to marry to people of faith, and would mandate all marriage licenses be approved by a member of the clergy."

- die trying idiot!

"Atheists need not apply: A bill proposed by Oklahoma Republicans would restrict the right to marry to people of faith, and would mandate all marriage licenses be approved by a member of the clergy."

- die trying idiot!

My husband and I, both people of faith, had a courthouse marriage because our pastor refused to marry us.

So isn't that nice? They're leaving people who are unable to get married in a church or by a clergy member (for whatever reason) without a way to be married at all.

Do these idiots actually read the Bible? I thought trying to be God is frowned apon. They are so full of their selfs and their holiness it would amaze me if they don't start asking to be prayed to.

Russ claims those not wanting to get married by a religious official could file an affidavit through the court clerk’s office claiming common-law marriage. However, as KSWO-TV reports Oklahoma does not currently recognize common law marriages.

Apply for something that doesn't exist. That is some good fundie logic right there.

My husband and I, both people of faith, had a courthouse marriage because our pastor refused to marry us.

Unbelievable, I have no words.

Where I come from, courthouse ceremonies are mandatory and church weddings are optional. All you have to do is, unless you are a regular member in that church, that you attend a marriage education course together with your fiance/é, along with other couples, but even a marriage education course is optional in most churches.

And this will totally pass the muster with the US Supreme Court, I am sure. This is what was elected, folks.

This is what they think about that

Russ says this bill is a way for the State of Oklahoma to prove its independent rights as a state to make laws.

"Where the federal government does not have a right to come in and force its new definitions of what they believe on independent states. Not just Oklahoma, but any state," said Rep. Russ.

.kswo.com/story/27918885/proposed-bill-would-end-marriage-licenses

I live in KS and the whole "The feds have no power over us, really" talk is big. I gather they are hoping for the balkanization of the USA... It is part of the thenomist dream.... local magistrate ruling God's way.

I guess they forget that, even in Okahoma, there are ordained ministers of legitimate churches who will agree to may gay couples. So, then what will they do? Declare some religions illegal? I think yes.

Do these idiots actually read the Bible? I thought trying to be God is frowned apon. They are so full of their selfs and their holiness it would amaze me if they don't start asking to be prayed to.

To me, it seems like they only read the parts of the Bible they like, the ones that justify their hatred, and they seem to be treating the Constitution the same way they do the Bible. :angry-banghead: :music-tool::obscene-birdiered:

The only thing that shocks me is that Alabama didn't think of this first.

Where does one begin???? If I am not mistaken, people in common-law marriages are not entitled to Social Security survivor benefits. So, you pay for Social Security through payroll deductions and if you are not really "married" you cannot benefit from those payroll deductions....hmmm. How does that work? And surely there are some clerks in Oklahoma who are willing to issue licenses to same-sex couples...use those clerks.

I knew there would be some kind of reaction if the Supremes disallow these bans but I admit I never saw this coming. These people need years of therapy....they are not normal.

I would like to think that this bill is DOA, but I fear that this could be the first of many similar pieces of legislation to fight against same sex marriage. The real target of this bill is the LGBT community, since it forbids civil marriage and prevents anti-gay pastors from having to marrying same-sex couples. By putting the right to marry entirely in the hands of the religious (who are presumably overwhelming conservative, this being OK), it pre-emptively eliminates gay marriage as sanctioned by the state. The anti-atheist aspect is just tacked on, I think, to say, "This is a CHRISTIAN state, and if you don't like it, sucks to be you." However, if a clergyman is the only person who can solemnize a legal marriage, it seems like this bill leaves the door open for Islamic or Mormon polygamy, which is permissible in both faiths... :? :shifty-kitty:

Would the state also stop recognizing same-sex or non-religious couples who were married in other states? Or would anyone moving into the state have to get their marriage license re-approved by a clergyperson (I'm assuming clergymen only)?

More importantly, do these lawmakers read the law??

This guys whole premise makes no sense on any level. Why does he think Christians have a claim on marriage and "traditional marriage?" Like no other culture in history got married. Do all of these married atheists fail to have valid marriages? I just finished a family law class and God was mentioned a whopping zero times.

I'm usually really big on States rights, cause most of the time my State is going to go the more progressive route than the Federal government ----- but all this stuff that happens in the South ..wow...I can see why people in that part of the country really need a strong Federal government. Scary.

Scary doesn't even begin to describe it. But you know what? I was born, raised, and live in Alabama. Leaving means giving up. I'll be damned if I leave without a fight!

I'm usually really big on States rights, cause most of the time my State is going to go the more progressive route than the Federal government ----- but all this stuff that happens in the South ..wow...I can see why people in that part of the country really need a strong Federal government. Scary.

Um, Oklahoma is not the the south by any means, culturally or by location. It's the Midwest.

I would like to think that this bill is DOA, but I fear that this could be the first of many similar pieces of legislation to fight against same sex marriage. The real target of this bill is the LGBT community, since it forbids civil marriage and prevents anti-gay pastors from having to marrying same-sex couples. By putting the right to marry entirely in the hands of the religious (who are presumably overwhelming conservative, this being OK), it pre-emptively eliminates gay marriage as sanctioned by the state. The anti-atheist aspect is just tacked on, I think, to say, "This is a CHRISTIAN state, and if you don't like it, sucks to be you." However, if a clergyman is the only person who can solemnize a legal marriage, it seems like this bill leaves the door open for Islamic or Mormon polygamy, which is permissible in both faiths... :? :shifty-kitty:

well, i'm assuming the clergymen who approve marriages have to apply somehow with the state in order to issue the licenses, and i'll be damned if they'll let anyone other than a christian minister (excluding mormon, since dontcha know they aren't real christians...yes, there are christians who hold to that) or rabbi through. i guess, as a pagan, i'd be sol. :shifty-kitty:

The only thing that shocks me is that Alabama didn't think of this first.

Or Texas.....Members of our state legislature sometimes propose these types of symbolic bills knowing that they won't get passed, or even make it to the floor for a vote, but this type of grandstanding plays well with the folks back in the home district.

On the other hand, the newly elected (Republican majority) Texas Senate's first order of business was to change a 60-year-old procedural rule to lower the number of votes required to bring a bill to the floor for a vote -- from 21 to 19. In this new legislative session there are 20 Republican senators, so there is no longer an opposition party in the Texas senate.

After gutting the opposition (at least in the Senate), the first order of business in the Texas legislature is open carry and allowing concealed carry in buildings on college campuses in the state college system.

Gay marriage is currently working its way through the courts in Texas, but I think that even most religious conservatives know that blocking marriage equality is a lost cause, but they won't give up the fight, because god.

That said, "You can't take away our right to take away your rights" is becoming more true by the minute in many states.

I may have to return to my Presbyterian roots to beseech the big guy to save us from this plague of Teavangelicals currently afflicting the land.

I find this so bizarre. Mostly because the people who are typically in this camp are always “PRO STRAIGHT MARRIAGE!11!!!1†You would think they would want as many opportunities for straight marriage as possible.

I find this so bizarre. Mostly because the people who are typically in this camp are always “PRO STRAIGHT MARRIAGE!11!!!1†You would think they would want as many opportunities for straight marriage as possible.

christian marriage is the only straight marriage that counts

So basically, Oklahoma would be like Israel, where there is no secular option for getting married. That means when a couple wants to get married and they don't want to have a religious ceremony (or can't get married according to their religion's laws), they have to leave the country for it. Cyprus has become the Las Vegas of the Middle East when it comes to weddings because it is the only country in the region that allows secular ceremonies. So many people from Israel go there to get married that the capital city has a kosher restaurant.

I bet that if this law were to become a reality (which I doubt will happen) and there were still clergy willing to officiate same-sex marriage, the state's next step would be to create a list of all clergy who are approved to perform legal marriages.

Archived