IGNORED

Woman-child Amy "Duggar"

YourGodIsNotMine

I checked Instagram and Amy (whose last name I really don't think is Duggar) is with Mommy and Grandma in Nashville... again. A woman in her late 20s can't travel alone? This is on top of her previous episodes in which she stated that she was leaving them at the Nashville hotel to show she could meet her agent on her own.

At her age, I'd graduated college, travelled Europe, lived in a foreign country for several years, gotten married and had 2 kids and a full-time job.

She is such a woman-child.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I checked Instagram and Amy (whose last name I really don't think is Duggar) is with Mommy and Grandma in Nashville... again. A woman in her late 20s can't travel alone? This is on top of her previous episodes in which she stated that she was leaving them at the Nashville hotel to show she could meet her agent on her own.

At her age, I'd graduated college, travelled Europe, lived in a foreign country for several years, gotten married and had 2 kids and a full-time job.

She is such a woman-child.

Well damn. I've only accomplished two things on that list. I guess I fail at life slightly less than Amy Duggar. :roll:

Seriously, I agree that she is immature, but I can't see criticizing her for not wanting to travel alone. Many if not most people find it both safer and more enjoyable to travel with others. I think it's nice that she enjoys a great relationship with both her mother and her grandmother, too. She's lucky.

I will admit that the 'At her age I had done X, Y, & Z' thing is a huge pet peeve of mine. It's totally arbitrary, superficial, and frankly often quite snobby. It's just not a helpful way to evaluate a person's life - in my opinion.

I don't mean to insult anyone but she has accomplished very little. She doesn't even live on her own. She seems to need her mommy for everything.

I don't mean to insult anyone but she has accomplished very little. She doesn't even live on her own. She seems to need her mommy for everything.

I agree with this point 100%. They are not big on raising strong, independent, resourceful women in that family. Or men for that matter.......

It's nice to be a mommy who is needed. I feel like Amy and her mom are more like friends.

Confession: I still make Dr and dentist/eye appointments for my adult kids, and not just because they are still on my insurance but because we usually go together *sigh*.

I don't think it's weird to take her mom and grandma really. I'm kind of glad Grandma gets a chance to get out of that house with some slightly lower-degree crazy folks once in a while. And I also like the contrast you get to see between Amy's relationship with her mom vs. Michelle and her kids. Amy and her mom seem very close, which is not surprising, since her mom got roughly 19x more time to spend with Amy than Michelle did with most of her kids...

The real issue is that she's back in Nashville at all. Don't get me wrong - if someone loves to sing, they should sing. As long as they want to. There's no age or expiration date on the things that you enjoy.

But singing seems to be her only professional or career goal, and...yeah. I am not sure how great of an idea that is. Though she probably knows that she's going to be married with kids as a SAHM soon and is just doing this for fun to kill some time. :roll: And there's nothing necessarily WRONG with that, but I do personally think it's just not ideal to still be living like a 20 year old when you're fast approaching 30. But it's Amy's life, not mine - luckily. :D

The benefit of your parents pushing you out of the house and kind of forcing you to develop skills and/or a career path is that if things don't go your way, you at least have a backup. If Amy didn't marry or have kids for a long time, and the singing falls through (as it is likely going to), and the show is canceled...what's left?

I don't think the closeness is weird, I'm 23 and have pretty much lived on my own since I was 19 (dorm until 21 but I had a single room ...yay high level anxiety disorder and migraines (not)) But I still go to visit my parents across the state and they come to visit me.My Dad and I go to NFL games during the season and have started some NHL, I really dont see the big deal in hanging out with your family or traveling with them.

I just hope this isn't for yet another "Amy does Nashville" special for this next season. :roll: I mean it was a joke to begin with and now it's just getting ridiculous. If she thinks Nashville is tough, why doesn't she try Hollywood? She has a better chance being an "extra" type actress than a singer. She should be lucky she's had the exposure she's had in reality TV. If she wants to be famous, she needs to find a manager that will point her in the proper direction.

I don't think she is being encouraged to stand on her own two feet and that's just sad.

I will admit that my 20 yr old son when he comes home from university loses all sense of independence and suddenly can't tie his shoes without asking me if he's done it correctly. DRIVES me nuts. :roll:

But whilst at school he is a perfectly functioning adult, who makes his own doctors appointments, buys his own clothes etc.

Its something about walking through our front door that transforms him into a blithering idiot. :lol:

Her parents weren't married when she was born and did not get married until many years later. So, I truly do believe her real last name is Duggar since that was Mom's name when she was born.

As for the other stuff, she is just ridiculous!! Enough of this "going to Nashville" nonsense. If you really want to try and make it, move there for real. Tired of this nonsense

It doesn't bother me that Amy travels with her mother and grandmother. There is a perception, to me, that Amy could probably accomplish more if they weren't there. Maybe they are her momagers.

I have no problem with Amy being close to her mom and grandma. What bugs is that she is going to Nashville to try for a career and is bringing her mom along... Amy is, what, 27/28 years old? She's not a vulnerable teenager trying to break into the music biz, she's a grown woman.

Bring mom and grandma along on a vacation? Great. But essentially, Amy is bringing her mother along to what amounts to a job interview. If she's not secure enough to meet with her agent alone then how in the hell is she expecting to be successful in this very cut throat industry? I get that the Duggars are ALL about family, but seriously, your mom should not be going to go to work with you.

If Amy is incapable of making decisions about her career without looking over her shoulder for her mother's approval, then she has no business in Nashville.

Ugh... these people :roll:

We don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Maybe her mom needs her just as much as she needs her mom (I know my own mom has to be around people 24/7 and constantly begs me to come home for a weekend even though I left the nest a long time ago).

Just throwing my two cents in as to her name - I think that a person has the right to change their name at any time, for any reason. If she wants to ride the coat tails of her 'famous' relatives by being Amy Duggar, then that's her choice. Let's face it - it will open doors for her that would not have been opened without that Duggar name trailing behind her...

"Maybe her mom needs her as much as she needs her mom." To me, that's co-dependent. I always thought that parents raised their children to be fully functioning adults. I will agree that vacationing or hanging out with family is fine and a great thing for family relationships. I am happy to have such relationships with my family. But I'll agree with the OP: By 28, I'd experienced a LOT more than Amy, including college, work, apartment renting, marriage and divorce, paying bills, much of it without parental guidance or involvement because we lived in separate states! Amy has been denied these opportunities, it appears.

I think its obvious that Amy has her issues. However, she has the right to live her life the way she sees fit. It isn't the way I would do things, but I also wasn't raised in the type of family or environment that she was. If I had been maybe I would have turned out the same way. And to be honest, knowing what we do about her extended family, its entirely possible that this lack of maturity isn't entirely Amy's fault - she could have been denied opportunities the same way her cousins have been, just in different ways.

As for traveling with her mom and Grandma, I don't see anything wrong with it. Is it odd when they go to meetings with her? Yeah. That's probably a bit much. However, she may feel more comfortable traveling with people she knows and trusts rather than traveling on her own right now - I know that I feel more comfortable traveling with family or my fiance than I would on my own.

When it comes to her name, I honestly think it is Duggar and always has been. And I don't see why someone would criticize her even if that wasn't the case. It's her name and her decision.

I don't dislike Amy, but she seems so aimless and it's a little sad that she still lives at home with virtually no excuse at age 28-29. I think she calls her mom her "manager" doesn't she? Maybe that's why she's along?

Still, she's not being encouraged to be very independent at all.

I just hope this isn't for yet another "Amy does Nashville" special for this next season. :roll: I mean it was a joke to begin with and now it's just getting ridiculous. If she thinks Nashville is tough, why doesn't she try Hollywood? She has a better chance being an "extra" type actress than a singer. She should be lucky she's had the exposure she's had in reality TV. If she wants to be famous, she needs to find a manager that will point her in the proper direction.

Especially since Bringing Up Bates is doing the "Lawson does Nashville" next week. TLC, it has been done, and then done better. So, not again.

Doesn't it make you wonder what Grandma and Grandpa Duggar were like as parents to screw up their kids to the point that all the grandkids are such train wrecks.

Doesn't it make you wonder what Grandma and Grandpa Duggar were like as parents to screw up their kids to the point that all the grandkids are such train wrecks.

You know they have two kids who made really different choices in life. Deanna had Amy out of wedlock but apparently they've been in a relationship all these years as they married recently.

It's probably more accurate to say JB fell into ATI bc of Michelle but then again, he met her through church visitation so maybe he was on the road to it anyway.

You know they have two kids who made really different choices in life. Deanna had Amy out of wedlock but apparently they've been in a relationship all these years as they married recently.

It's probably more accurate to say JB fell into ATI bc of Michelle but then again, he met her through church visitation so maybe he was on the road to it anyway.

I think they went back to religion after she had the 1st miscarriage and then Michelle really attached herself to her religious community as the babies keep coming, likely more as a crutch than anything else. In those really years before there were Jslaves, JB actually worked. I think once JB and Michelle realized that Gothard's cult takes all the decision making out of their hands, they became deeply entrenched. Next, JB found a way to make his growing family work for HIM- and the way to ensure that easy money continued, was to keep growing his family. Voila~ AND COUNTING is not just a whimsical title.

I definitely think we should be prepared for another excruciatingly boring Nashville episode. She IGed a photo while she was there that was tagged something like "hanging with the producer's kids." Can't imagine why the producer's kids would be in Nashville if they weren't filming...though I guess I can't really imagine why the producer's kids would be there even if they were filming. Vacation I guess?

I think it tends to make better TV for her to take Mom and Grandma with her. Sure, it's possible to experience things alone and enjoy them, but for the TV camera you kind of need to be talking and interacting with someone for there to be much of anything to show. So especially if they intend for her to do anything "touristy" while they're filming -- it helps for her to have a "sidekick" or two.

I feel bad for Amy since she's nearly 30 and it appears has yet to become an independent adult. I also feel like it kind of stinks that this is the example the Duggar children receive of a non-fundie. I don't think everyone needs to travel to Europe or get married but it would be nice if she had a job and could live independently. Also if she does plan on eventually marrying and becoming a SAHM then I really wish she had some option for supporting herself just incase anything happened on her husband.

Archived