IGNORED

Joseph Duggar starts College

luv2laugh

Convenience, probably. I started university in the spring semester and know others who have (of course it may be more unusual in the States). Anyway, I'm guessing this was a fairly recent decision given his age. He wasn't planning on this before graduating high school. He probably decided to go too late to start in the fall.

Maybe Josiah is also going to CC. Josiah was still at ALERT at the beginning of fall semester.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Josiah is also going to CC. Josiah was still at ALERT at the beginning of fall semester.

Honestly, I almost wonder if having two of them on their own together is even more dangerous than one alone? Alone, you might be isolated and scared enough not to get into much trouble. Especially if you lived with the Bates family. But if, say, Jinger and Joy lived alone together, I could see them getting a little more Cousin Amy-ish together than Michelle and Boob would be comfortable with. Having a "buddy" with you would be much more fun and much more tempting to get into trouble, since I really doubt most of the siblings really give a shit about "holding each other accountable" once they've had some time on their own and realize how stupid it is.

Josh- Dc job

Jana- nada

JD-use of plane

Jill-use of very nice home

Jessa- use of a starter home

Jinger- Nada

Joe- Crown College

What the hell is wrong with this picture?

Jill got to go and get married because she too is delusional and will try and have 19 kids. JB thinks of the $$$.

Jessa probably did threaten to elope or something so, I bet that helped his decision to let her marry. If that is complete Hogwash then again JB thought of the money.

Jana and Jinger are busy looking after several kids that he and his wife are too busy bonking all the time to look after them themselves. The show relies on money, more kids is more money.

Also JB knows we're not all that interested in seeing the boys marry so eh, they can do what they like. Also Smug, getting him that job gives them more publicity so they can spew their hate.

Edited for bad grammar!

Convenience, probably. I started university in the spring semester and know others who have (of course it may be more unusual in the States). Anyway, I'm guessing this was a fairly recent decision given his age. He wasn't planning on this before graduating high school. He probably decided to go too late to start in the fall.

The cynic in me thinks that this is a reactive decision to all the complaints that their kids do not go to college. As the kids age, it becomes more and more difficult for them to maintain their position of no outside education. It's a hard position to defend. Jim Bob probably has someone who acts as a PR representative and advice has been offered and taken. Neither John David or Josh were offered the opportunity to go to college. Why now? Because the spotlight is being shown on this family as never before. It will be interesting to follow the other kids, including the girls, to see if this is a unique situation or a trend.

14K for a college that isn't even accredited? You might as well save your money and just go out and get a job.

Those dating rules, wtf?

I'm surprised he doesn't have an accountibilibuddy. I always figured Josiah would be the first to go to pretend college. If that's not the case, they must really trust the Bates.

I don't believe Jim Bob makes major decisions based on negative comments on internet forums. He's a fundamentalist, he expects to be persecuted. Negative comments are just proof to him that he's on the right path. If anything, I think he's letting one of his kids go to college now because he's realized it's not financially feasible to expect them all to become used car salesmen, or magically go into trades without any further education or apprenticeship.

I will admit from the start that I have not read all the posts on this subject so if it has been told already please forgive. Isn't this a weird time to start school? Is it just starting from Christmas or is he just jumping in?

Does the winter semester not generally start at the beginning of January?

Edit: I just googled Crown College's calendar. Apparently classes started on January 14th.

My guesses in red (as to the CC stance):

Wow its crazy how exclusive "whiteness" is, that people who are just as much, if not MORE white than anything else are still considered of the minority race. The one drop rule has far reaching effects.

Not trying to sound like a asshole but I don't see many blacks or Hispanics or Asians at these type of colleges anyway. And why can't interracial couples date? Why does it need to be approved?

"Dorm students may not date off campus students or anyone who is not a student of Clown College without parental and administrative approval. If approved, all dating rules apply"

Why does it need to be approved? Control. That's why.

Also, the rules state that dating couples may not stay in the same home overnight at any time, even during breaks when school is not in session. So he could either be dating a Bates girl OR staying with them. But not both.

I assume that Joseph is occupying Zach's empty bunk at the Bates house.

I find it odd that he started in the spring semester, not the fall semester.

What is up with that?

according to the CC website, all single students under age 23 must live on campus. if Erin BatesPaine attended with an accountabilibuddy, she must have been special enough to get a pass on that one. will they do the same for Joseph?

according to the CC website, all single students under age 23 must live on campus. if Erin BatesPaine attended with an accountabilibuddy, she must have been special enough to get a pass on that one. will they do the same for Joseph?

My guess is local families don't need to meet that requirement. A lot of regular colleges require freshmen to live on campus and give waivers to local students. (Of course, regular colleges have that requirement so you become more involved in campus life, not to suppress any fun you might have...)

I think CC is just trying to avoid single people living in apartments unsupervised. I'm sure Erin never would have been expected to pay for a dorm room when she lived, what, 30 minutes away tops?

I do feel at least a little suspicious that Joseph could be interested in a Bates girl. That would buy him time to "get to know them" better without courting, which is hard for a lot of long-distance fundies to really do. I guess it would have to be Tori? The next one down (Carlin?) is too young, right? How old is she, 17?

Didn't she and her buddy commute from home? Maybe that rule is for students who would want to live in off-campus student housing.

With 20 year old Joseph being so far from hearth and home, he probably has to live in the dorm. Wonder if they inspect the sheets every morning for signs of onanism.

If they live within 50 miles of the school, they can live at home.

I wonder what the point is? He should be starting his own business, no? What is a CC degree going to give him? I think he just wants to get away.

I noticed their silly dating rules. :lol:

http://www.stufffundieslike.com/2012/01 ... e-edition/

"this includes sitting with a member of the opposite sex at meal in a chapel,or church"

apparently I've have more dates than i realized.

"men should treat their dates with respect and kindness observing all rules of courtesy". and woman should do..?

"there will be no physical contact between members of the opposite sex" I'm a huger

"Interracial dating must be approved in writing and verbally by the parents of both students" I'm guessing not many non-white people really go to that 'school'

I wonder what the point is? He should be starting his own business, no? What is a CC degree going to give him? I think he just wants to get away.

Depends what he's studying I guess. But, accredited or not, completely biased or not, at least he'd be learning something instead of just wasting time at TTH. And, who knows, maybe this is his way of finding a girl to court?

It seems like he will have less freedom here than at home. I bet at home he is able to come and go as he likes ( with an AP of course), but there even if he has a partner, he still needs a pass to leave.

Also, I have said this before, and someone up thread just did too. In some ways I think the AP ( accountability partner) could lead to more "trouble". I definitely was more likely to do dumb stuff when I had a friend or friends with me to egg me on. My sister and I would also cover for each other, so we got by with a lot of stuff in partnership, than we would ever have gotten away with on our own.

I think the whole AP requirement is pretty much ass backwards and really just proves how insecure the parents are in what they have taught the kids. If you have taught your children well, then you leave them alone and let them branch out. In order to truly trust them you have to let them be tested. And you have to expect that sometimes they will screw up and your job is to help them figure that out, and try again.

But if you are insecure in what you have "Trained" your children to do, and you inherently don't trust them, then you assign chaperones, and AP's to make sure nothing every happens. Of course the chaperones and AP's really just provide a false sense of security, as I am certain that the sibling bond will often result in kids covering for one another. For example, I find it hard to believe that if Jessa wanted to kiss Ben, that Jinger would rat her out.

It pretty much all comes down to the difference between training vs teaching. Mentoring vs mandating. Guiding vs controlling.

Guess which of those things above, is most likely to have the strongest and most authentic influence on a child?

To have a child never misbehave only because he/she had no opportunity to do so, is a pretty shallow victory. To have a child chose to behave because they made a choice, using Free Will, to behave in a certain way, is so much more meaningful.

:angry-banghead: Powell, TN isn't that culturaly diverse. The race thing makes no sense.

source:been through there many times going from my parents house to where I went to college, now live even further west.

This school sounds worse then Johnsons Bible College

It is confirmed on the Duggar Official FB.

Duggar Family Official

6 hrs ·

Jim Bob decided he wanted to do his own post for Joseph's birthday! So from dad: Joseph turned 20 on the 20th! He is such a great, diligent young man. He typically gets up early at 5 am and prays and studies his Bible for over an hour. Joseph has just started going to Crown Bible College in Knoxville, Tennessee. He loves teaching and discipling young men, encouraging them to make wise choices in their lives. God is going to use Joseph in a mighty way to share His love and Bible principles to today's world! We are very pleased with his choices so far. We love you, son.

OMG I don't speak fluent fundie, so I read the bolded, above, as "He loves teaching and DISCIPLINING young men..." :o :o

I could not believe I read through 4 more pages of posts without ANYONE saying ANYTHING about that. LMAO LMAO :pink-shock:

OMG I don't speak fluent fundie, so I read the bolded, above, as "He loves teaching and DISCIPLINING young men..." :o :o

I could not believe I read through 4 more pages of posts without ANYONE saying ANYTHING about that. LMAO LMAO :pink-shock:

OMG until just now I thought that did say disciplining young men. In fact, I read it to my 3 teenage sons so they could laugh/shudder/recoil in horror with me. I will have to tell them mom is just illiterate. :cry:

Wow its crazy how exclusive "whiteness" is, that people who are just as much, if not MORE white than anything else are still considered of the minority race. The one drop rule has far reaching effects.

The definition of "white" seems to have narrowed in recent years. Desi Arnaz and Fernando Lamas would not be labelled as "white" today, but in the 1940s and 1950s they were married to white women, both onscreen and off-screen, and this didn't stir up any major controversies. These relationships were considered inter-ethnic, but not interracial. People of Middle Eastern origins were also "white" once, but not now. And with all the "Jesus wasn't white" memes, I guess Jews aren't "white" anymore, either. That's rather disturbing, IMO.

Archived