IGNORED

Joseph Duggar starts College

luv2laugh

There is a 2nd one of this kind of "Colleges"?

How.the.eff. are this things not illegal? That is clearly "hate crime", no? Does that mean one could open up a private Hospital and make up a rule to only treat patients of a certain eye colour too?

Or are, if things would get serious, this "contracts" overthrown by law and it´s only a piece of made-up paper in the end of the day?

I mean, Pa Duggar couldn´t REALLY sue the College board if Joseph hooks up with a nice black girl from Bible-approved garment fabrics class 101 without having parental permission...? That is all just a Show.

I don't think he could sue if his son violates the rules. That's not the schools problem.

You're allowed to be racist and join private racist clubs. But in general businesses that are open to the public cannot discriminate based on race.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looking at the schedule, why the eff do you need to take creationism (i will not call it "creation science), bible teaching, and baptist history to be a mechanic?

I'm calling it now:

Next season they will do a "Joseph goes to college special" where they will show him applying to 3 or so colleges, writing essays, getting acceptance letters, visiting campuses (we already saw pics of them visiting college of the ozarks), and making a decision (which we now know to be crown college).

They will do this in the style of how Christians SHOULD go to college, and making themselves seem so modern yet so very holy for choosing modest christian schools.

They'll do a goldielocks style choosing ceremony where "this one was too far" "this one was too liberal" "clown college is juuuuust right!"

They'll move him in, give him some silly responsibility lecture, and make sure his roommate accountability buddy Lawson knows the rules too.

Joseph will be shown studying, walking to class and NOT dating girls. Clown college will LOVE the free advertisement and I predict there will be a HUGE increase in leghumper applications next year at CC.

NO NEED TO AIR IT TLC - I JUST SUMMARIZED YOUR ENTIRE PLOT ARC FOR THIS SEASON :wink-kitty: :wink-kitty: :wink-kitty:

So just like the Jill wedding venue ep where we knew there was no chance whatsoever of anything other than the cross church.

Someone upthread asked about Bob Jones University - yes, they had an absolutely no interracial dating rule until 2000. I was in high school when the ban was lifted (rumor had it was because George W. Bush spoke in chapel and the media were scrutinizing the school). Because I went to a small fundie private school where Bob Jones and PCC were the only accepted colleges (I broke the mold by going to a "cool fundie" college), we had representatives from Bob Jones come to our school at least twice a year and my school sponsored trips there for viewing weekends (which was as fun as it sounds, I can assure you, but it got us out of class). I asked a student who went there if interracial dating was allowed. He sneered - SNEERED - and said, "Why would you WANT to?" He then went on to say that at the very least, interracial people shouldn't have kids because "The kids look ugly and weird." I asked if he had interracial parents. He was so insulted by the fact that I implied he was interracial, it didn't even click that I had instead called him ugly and weird-looking :lol: :lol: :lol: Idiot.

For the record: For all my fundie upbringing's faults, I was always taught to abhor interracial dating bans as unbiblical and wrong. I was never to attend BJU for precisely that reason. And dang, how I loved trolling racists.

There is a 2nd one of this kind of "Colleges"?

How.the.eff. are this things not illegal? That is clearly "hate crime", no? Does that mean one could open up a private Hospital and make up a rule to only treat patients of a certain eye colour too?

Or are, if things would get serious, this "contracts" overthrown by law and it´s only a piece of made-up paper in the end of the day?

I mean, Pa Duggar couldn´t REALLY sue the College board if Joseph hooks up with a nice black girl from Bible-approved garment fabrics class 101 without having parental permission...? That is all just a Show to scam Fundies[tm][/tm] into non-accredited institutes.

Anny, you may interested in a recent development in my community.

I used to see a doctor who was partnered with another GP. The other doctor ended up taking me as his patient.

Now they have apparently split up. Last time I went, there was a huge notice in their lobby that they were no longer taking Medicare, they would only take certain insurance plans, and the rest were paying cash. Now.. you can pay cash and then file a claim with your insurance on your own. Normally the dr office will file on your behalf and you pay the co-pay up fromt, something like $25 although the last year I was there it had jumped up to $45.

Ok so I have not been back, I don't care for that second doctor. A few months ago I got a letter from him. He is moving to a new office. He is no longer taking insurance but he is taking applications for new patients. He has developed some kind of system where the patient pays either a hefty annual fee or an even more expensive monthly fee, no matter how often or how little you see the dr.

If you are accepted into his office, in exchange for this fee you get nearly instant access to him, he might even come to your home or office. That is unheard of.

I have no idea how this is working out for him. This is a new way of doctoring but I can just about guarantee you his patients are now limited to people with enough DI to pay his annual fee. No idea how test or anything work but I was really blown away at the exclusivity of his program.

Have to go. work.

looking at the schedule, why the eff do you need to take creationism (i will not call it "creation science), bible teaching, and baptist history to be a mechanic?

same reason I had to take humanities classes, science classes and literature classes to earn my business degree (I went to a public, accredited university with over 20,000 students). Makes us "well-rounded". yeah- I haven't used one ounce of my geology or Russian lit class since graduation... I am guessing since this is a Christian education they will have to take some sort of bible class every semester. I missed the mechanic schedule, I didn't see any majors that were technical skills...oh wait the one I am looking at is in MN and accredited. ...google search ... now I see THE Crown College of the Bible. Wow 2 colleges with basically the same name. yikes. Any way, seriously mechanics have to take "intro to missions"? I would like a missionary mechanic to be convicted to come bless me with some new brakes and an oil change and fix the rear lift gate of my van....

At the bottom of the crown trade and tech website it says:

post-9835-14451999880679_thumb.jpg

I find the "pray as we seek god's will and timing" funny and I think it should say: "Please give us more money, your name will be on a building if you gift us money to have a welding, electrician, etc program." well...At least these are marketable skills but I doubt they need a bible class (or 2) every semester!

Ok, I think there are multiple reasons for Joseph being sent to CC, so take your pick:

1) Interest in a Bates girl or another fundie family in that area.

2) Damage control

3) JB realizes that some college is now necessary to being successful.

4) JB realizes that he may not be able to help his sons start their own business, and they will have to join the workforce like everybody else. (related to #3 above)

5) Joseph is being sent away as punishment for some more brainwashing for some stupid crazy ass Duggar rule.

6) Storyline for the new season.

7) FU internetz fodder

I could be completely wrong, but something is prompting JB to do this. I don't think the Duggars have all of a sudden changed their views. They still pretty much toe the Gothard line with a few differences here and there.

@Brownie Momma

:pink-shock: Well, if greed takes over.. some people just can´t "get their pockets full enough". Let me guess, that doc sells some "youth rejuvenation" crap on the side? Or he is really generous with the pre-scripts?

[...]

I am guessing since this is a Christian education they will have to take some sort of bible class every semester. I missed the mechanic schedule, I didn't see any majors that were technical skills...oh wait the one I am looking at is in MN and accredited. ...google search ... now I see THE Crown College of the Bible. Wow 2 colleges with basically the same name. yikes. Any way, seriously mechanics have to take "intro to missions"? I would like a missionary mechanic to be convicted to come bless me with some new brakes and an oil change and fix the rear lift gate of my van....

I find the "pray as we seek god's will and timing" funny and I think it should say: "Please give us more money, your name will be on a building if you gift us money to have a welding, electrician, etc program." well...At least these are marketable skills but I doubt they need a bible class (or 2) every semester!

Hey, DO NOT LAUGH AT THE GAWD-SENT MECHANICS! :D

I think that was like 2-3 years ago, in a german town, a couple sat in a broken-down car for almost 2 weeks and waited for the Lord to "fix it" :D !

So you see, Bible class and mechanics courses could make sense! In fact, Joseph could become a travelling missionary mechanic, driving across the USA in a truck, always on the outlook for somebody with a flat tire or in need of a jumpstart ... just him, his bible and the TLC camera crew.

Actually, I would watch this... :popcorn2:

@Brownie Momma

:pink-shock: Well, if greed takes over.. some people just can´t "get their pockets full enough". Let me guess, that doc sells some "youth rejuvenation" crap on the side? Or he is really generous with the pre-scripts?

I don't know if he does anything like that, he didn't when I saw him. I didn't like him because he had this attitude of he's the doctor and god forbid anyone read something on the internet and dare to question him.

This is just really odd because he has found a way to go around the established system by appealing to only people who can afford this - no elderly patients, as most as on Medicare, and no poor people as he is not accepting medicaid or chip and poor people certainly won't be able to afford his annual fee.

So apparently he certainly can take only purple-eyed patients if he wants to.

I live near the Pensacola christian college one and drove by it with my dad one day. I said how it looks too perfect. Every blade of grass was probably exactly cut the same height and it was so pristine that it looked like no one ever was outside. It was actually hilarious because right outside the gates was a ghetto car wash with some girl in a bikini on the side of the road.

My dad is a private investigator and does background checks and had to go in to interview some people once and he said they were nothing but nice to him. I said "well duh, they HAVE TO BE!"

Ugh. I can't with these schools..

I agree. I suspect part of this is damage control for all the articles lately about how the Duggars don't let their kids go to college. Plus it's probably a new storyline for the show.

Also, Joseph is a quiet young man who doesn't seem to like being on TV much, so his going away doesn't affect the show the way a more visible Duggarling's absence would.

I am not familiar with the concept of this kind of Christian Colleges, but they strike me as odd - so maybe somebody could tell me:

Are this Colleges part of any kind of umbrella organization?

The I in IFB is Independent, so no. No umbrella organization.

I agree - it was never more obvious when after it was decided that Ben moved in = the girls aka Jana, Joy, Jill and Jessa are decided on cleaning Ben's "room"

this is what they did - where was Michelle - it was her headships's brainy idea -

they had to be busy - in order for Michelle to get pregnant all those times - I get that she handed each kid of - but what the bloody hell does /did she do once she couldn't get pregnant anymore. Now that is a question I currently have ?

Progression people

Joseph has always seemed like a very nice guy (and held in very high regard by JB), but one of the last Duggars I'd expect to go to college. I agree with those who think a Duggar in college will be good for the family image and ratings. Maybe Lawson is also attending so they can carpool together and encourage each other to not have sinful thoughts.

Could it be that Josh has really felt the effects of his DC job with no college education and that was part of the send-a-Duggar-to-college decision? Could Josh have even gotten the job he did if FRC wasn't part of the Duggar's anti-choice coalition? I don't know, but if a bunch of the boys end up in fields relating to media and/or politics - which seems reasonable given their family interests, exposure, and connections - then this could be a practical choice. ASE certifications wouldn't hurt either.

Joseph has always seemed like a very nice guy (and held in very high regard by JB), but one of the last Duggars I'd expect to go to college. I agree with those who think a Duggar in college will be good for the family image and ratings. Maybe Lawson is also attending so they can carpool together and encourage each other to not have sinful thoughts.

Could it be that Josh has really felt the effects of his DC job with no college education and that was part of the send-a-Duggar-to-college decision? Could Josh have even gotten the job he did if FRC wasn't part of the Duggar's anti-choice coalition? I don't know, but if a bunch of the boys end up in fields relating to media and/or politics - which seems reasonable given their family interests, exposure, and connections - then this could be a practical choice. ASE certifications wouldn't hurt either.

Josh came off a little resentful or jealous of the McMansion. I wonder if he's now fuming about Jospeh getting to go to college when he didn't.

If I were choosing I would have sent Josh. Josiah. JINGER. Fer sure Joyanna. But not JD or Joseph and prolly not Jana either. Maybe Jana.

Josh came off a little resentful or jealous of the McMansion. I wonder if he's now fuming about Jospeh getting to go to college when he didn't.

If I were choosing I would have sent Josh. Josiah. JINGER. Fer sure Joyanna. But not JD or Joseph and prolly not Jana either. Maybe Jana.

Josh had oodles of time at the car lot to do an online degree. Still, I can't imagine there are many working for FRC without a B.A./B.S. and I imagine some have a J.D. I think he's likely jealous of the greater freedom the younger ones have--they MUST watch movies for crowd control on that bus, they get to dress like [Conservative] teens--no tucked in woven shirt with a collar and old man's khakis with a phone in a holster for the younger guys. He had to actually HELP with little kids, I'm sure. I doubt the other boys have very much. He was kind of wistful in the Christmas Parade episode years back when he said he remembered getting a few gifts from Santa when he was little [i.e. before the 'rents went batshitcrazy into ATI/IBLP]. He's the only one who might remember having normal parents, too.

I scanned through their catalogue and didn't see much in the way of trades. If Joseph is going there, he is training to be a minister or a missionary. Those types of courses take up 90% of the catalogue. I suppose at least he will get some kind of proper theology, instead of the 400th telling of the baby bible stories according to Jim Bob.

They must have forgotten Jesus was a carpenter first. :think:

Jill got to go and get married because she too is delusional and will try and have 19 kids. JB thinks of the $$$.

Jessa probably did threaten to elope or something so, I bet that helped his decision to let her marry. If that is complete Hogwash then again JB thought of the money.

Jana and Jinger are busy looking after several kids that he and his wife are too busy bonking all the time to look after them themselves. The show relies on money, more kids is more money.

Also JB knows we're not all that interested in seeing the boys marry so eh, they can do what they like. Also Smug, getting him that job gives them more publicity so they can spew their hate.

Edited for bad grammar!

I would think that carrying on of the Duggar last name would hold some clout there. Unless any of the girls/women got married and kept their last name or were (gasp!) single mothers giving their child/ren the Duggar last name, they're not furthering the name at all.

Anny, you may interested in a recent development in my community.

I used to see a doctor who was partnered with another GP. The other doctor ended up taking me as his patient.

Now they have apparently split up. Last time I went, there was a huge notice in their lobby that they were no longer taking Medicare, they would only take certain insurance plans, and the rest were paying cash. Now.. you can pay cash and then file a claim with your insurance on your own. Normally the dr office will file on your behalf and you pay the co-pay up fromt, something like $25 although the last year I was there it had jumped up to $45.

Ok so I have not been back, I don't care for that second doctor. A few months ago I got a letter from him. He is moving to a new office. He is no longer taking insurance but he is taking applications for new patients. He has developed some kind of system where the patient pays either a hefty annual fee or an even more expensive monthly fee, no matter how often or how little you see the dr.

If you are accepted into his office, in exchange for this fee you get nearly instant access to him, he might even come to your home or office. That is unheard of.

I have no idea how this is working out for him. This is a new way of doctoring but I can just about guarantee you his patients are now limited to people with enough DI to pay his annual fee. No idea how test or anything work but I was really blown away at the exclusivity of his program.

Have to go. work.

OMFG- he has become his own insurance company. Our HC payment system is such a mess.

I would think that carrying on of the Duggar last name would hold some clout there. Unless any of the girls/women got married and kept their last name or were (gasp!) single mothers giving their child/ren the Duggar last name, they're not furthering the name at all.

Ala ssh- Amy

This news sort of makes me sad because if one of the girls wanted to go to college in another state they would likely be shot down. Double standards...

I know it's a 'Christian' school, but I'm proud of Joseph for breaking free. He'll still technically be surrounded by fundies and I imagine he'll practically live at the Bateses' place, so I don't expect his religious views to change much. Still rooting for him. I predict he'll meet a girl at Crown College and be married within the next year or two.

Also, keep in mind that most super-fundie colleges have an underground of dissenting, dissatisfied students who, over the course of their time in college, become vehemently opposed to everything it stands for. Joseph could run into them and actually be introduced to a different viewpoint.

If he was living on campus, he might have more freedom than if he was with the Bates family. Still even if he is staying with the Bates family, this could be a nice experience for him.

I don't know about it being a nice experience in that he already has had the "joy" of living in a large family.

He just might like the privacy of a room on campus where he only has to share with 2-3 others.

:lol:

This is a Crown College promo video with voiceover snark :mrgreen: :

http://www.stufffundieslike.com/2011/07 ... e-edition/

Also, keep in mind that most super-fundie colleges have an underground of dissenting, dissatisfied students who, over the course of their time in college, become vehemently opposed to everything it stands for. Joseph could run into them and actually be introduced to a different viewpoint.

:happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpeveryone:

That Crown College intro video. :lol: "People standing around... More preaching! A bus to the Aquarium and a baseball game... so much khaki"

Since i was one of the oldest in my family i went to a thing kind of like that called Worldview Academy, back when my parents thought we might go to college before they jumped into pseudo-Mennonite "girls are homemakers only" thinking. Worldview Academy was for college prep (basically trying to brainwash fundie kids so they won't end up doubting or asking themselves real questions) and it was as boring as watching paint dry. Except for when they made fun of Steven Spielberg and George Lucas movies like Indiana Jones, that just pissed me off. i would so have been one of those rebellious kids if they'd forced me to go to a useless courting meet market like Crown College or something similar. And it would have been fun trying to stay under the radar enough not to get thrown out. :lol:

Seriously, looking at that video - those Crown College kids probably have to get permission to go to the corner store. Almost all of them had parents who spoke for them and filled out forms for them. ON THE PROMOTIONAL VIDEO. I bet they lock the dorms from the outside at night.

Archived