IGNORED

Alyssa Bates/Webster is wearing PANTS!!

jinseng

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She looks happy,COMFORTABLE,relaxed,beautiful, and so on. They are naming their baby girl Allie Jane. Isn't the cute cute cute littlest Bates girl named Callie?

This is me doing a dance celebrating Alyssa's pants, aka the pants dance:

:dance: :dance: :pray: :dance: :dance: :cracking-up: :dance: :dance: :clap: :dance: :dance:

I don't care if she's still a fundamentalist at this point. She's wearing a sleeveless top and pants!! :D That is so fabulous!! I'm really happy for her. Yay!!

Her pant wearing ass would fight tooth and nail to disallow abortions, gay marriage, birth control and anything not on her families agenda if she could and her men will try. But she looks so cute in jeans so it's all good.

I'm sure she's still fundie and has some hideous views. Wearing pants and a sleeveless shirt when she's been taught her whole life that's immodest and wrong is a significant change, though, even if she hasn't changed her views on other issues. (And with John's father being a Tea Party politician, I think her hateful views are probably only being strengthened.)

Exactly.

And even if she never gives up these views, it's still a step in the right direction, which means her children could take it a step further and their children a step further.

Sorry no. It is a long way from choosing to wear jeans to endorsing Adam and Steve getting hitched or being supportive of a women deciding she want to terminate because she just does. Alyssa could cut her hair, send her kids to regular school and even drink in moderation...that is outward change not inward and again not anything Vision Forumers and Even ATI folk have not done before. She would have grown up seeing and befriending with jean and even short wearers at Big Sandy and other events.

I can't understand why people think these hardcore fundies have to completely change their beliefs to be decent people. What they need to do is realize that they are free to live their way and everyone else is, too. I see people say things like I will believe they have changed when I see them at a gay pride parade or, like here, endorse gay marriage. These people truly believe these things are sinful. Shouldn't it be good enough for them to stop trying to take away the rights of others while maintaining their core beliefs? I believe a lot of them will get to that point.

And wow! She looks so normal!

Sure but the mission is to bring others to Jesus and be warriors for Christ with their way being the only true godly way.. in their minds just letting others be is letting down God and letting other people sin and then burn in hell. That is not something that is easily dismissed even for regular Christians. Plus the Patriarchy most of them want would flounder .

It's not easy at all, which is why any of them, if they get to that point, should be applauded instead of being told it's not enough. My mother believes homosexuality is a sin. My nephew (her grandson) is gay and newly engaged. It makes her sad but she would never tell him that nor would she try to take away his right to marry the man he loves. It actually took me awhile to stop trying to make her see why her beliefs are wrong and accept that she has a right to feel that way and is being respectful of him.

Edited for a multitude of autocorrect errors!

Her pant wearing ass would fight tooth and nail to disallow abortions, gay marriage, birth control and anything not on her families agenda if she could and her men will try. But she looks so cute in jeans so it's all good.

Let me guess. Your pant wearing ass believes in the right to end the life of the unborn, gay marriage, birth control, and everything that is on your agenda. No? Glad your views are inclusive and don't trump the view of others, either. The hypocrisy is hilarious.

Although I am a very liberal thinker, I don't condemn those who disapprove of gay marriage, abortion etc. They are free to have their own beliefs, just as I am. I know lots of conservative thinkers who are really lovely, kind and wonderful people. The thing that I find so bothersome/fascinating about fundamentalists is when their beliefs are unfounded and pointless. The rule that women cannot wear pants seems so ridiculous I just cannot wrap my head around it. If all Alyssa ever achieves is getting rid of these pointless, unfounded, erroneous rules-for-the-sake-of-rules, I will be satisfied. It just breaks my heart to imagine how long she must have been daydreaming about pants, and the fact that her parents would not have allowed it just makes my skin crawl... Well done, Alyssa, for having enough critical thinking ability to question the merits of this rule, and for recognising that God will not be mad at you for making this important decision for yourself.

Parents who send their daughters on trips with Gothard are not decent people. People who make it their mission to strip away our rights and turn America into a Fundamentalist Christian nation aren't decent people.

Also people who are pro-choice, birth control, etc. aren't forcing people to do anything. We simply believe these are rights that should be available, not forced upon anyone. The same cannot be said about fundies. They want what they believe forced on the entire country.

Oh, BTW, wearing pants isn't an indicator that Alyssa is detoxing from the kool-aid. More and more fundie women are ditching skirts as a way to lure people in. It's a facade plain and simple.

Oh, BTW, wearing pants isn't an indicator that Alyssa is detoxing from the kool-aid. More and more fundie women are ditching skirts as a way to lure people in. It's a facade plain and simple.

I would tend to agree with that if it wasn't for a minor detail: Neither on her official instagram account (endorsed by the Bates family), nor on pictures on the blog, nor in the show was Alyssa seen wearing pants. In fact, pictures of her seem to be cropped in some cases in which people on freejinger found the original pic and it was clear that Alyssa is wearing pants.

That makes me believe that this isn't some strategic trick to lure people in. I also don't believe that the family is cool with it. Compare that to Whit, who was wearing pants (and maybe still is), but is never shown in pants. Just sayin'. Baby steps.

Sure, it's just wearing pants, but it's a step in the right direction (and a huge one for her in her world).

As for the fact that she probably still wants to force her own personal belief agenda (no gay marrige, abolish the right to choose etc.) onto everyone, yes that is horrible.

However, the fact that she is willing to step away from some of her parents rules might indicate that maybe, one day, she will be able to rethink her beliefs on other issues too.

And anyways, even if she doesn't, a woman who wears pants and possibly has short hair is even easier to debate on topics like gay marriage than a full-blown fundie

this was discussed in the bates threads. there have been 3 pictures of her in pants in a week.

the fact that she has been raised in skirts and sleeves (kelly has publically said she requires sleeves, pants were never a big deal. apparently.) and 8 months into a marriage we're seeing her in pants and sleeveless tops! that is HUGE!

nothing on her instagram mentions anything about religion, at all. before she got married she said she could deal with 8-10 kids. for her to say something other than the 'whatever god gives' is HUGE. chances are she said 8-10 so it wouldn't rock the boat too much... but again, she's only 8 months into her marriage and may do NFP or even *gasp* birth control pills. just because her parents are fundie and her in laws are fundies that she will stay the same? i'm proud of her for taking the steps and going against the whole modesty standards thing that has been pushed on her from day 1. only 8 months in, who knows what other changes she will make in another 8 months or even 18 months or 8 years!

baby steps.

Maybe she's not being a rebel because she's wearing pants. Maybe her headship says it's ok, and that makes it ok. Maybe he even demands it. That's how patriarchy works, right? People were speculating that Jessa and Jill would wear pants soon b/c it's probably ok with their headship. Maybe they Photoshop her pants out of the picture b/c they still aren't ok with pants, but they can't say anything became Gil transferred his authority to John. Gil it's a true believer. Jim Bob would be pissed at his lack of control, but Gil really believes in those Gothard arbitrary rules.

this was discussed in the bates threads. there have been 3 pictures of her in pants in a week.

where are the other photos of her in pants? can you post?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived