IGNORED

Freedom in Christ Ministries

RosyDaisy

Ok, so my therapist has moved out of state. I was refered to another therapist who is a follower of Neil Anderson and Freedom In Christ Ministry (ficm.org) and recommend the book "Freedom From Fear".

I've done some searching, and what I have read comes off as heavily sugarcoated fundamentalism. Has anyone had any experience with this ministry? I am thisclose to finding a new therapist. I just want to make sure I'm not jumping to conclusions.

My googling brought up some articles on Equip.org and Wartburg Watch that indicate he believes in the reality of Satan and demons, including succubi and incubi. I don't know your personal beliefs, but I'd be afraid a therapist following him would be intent on casting out your demons to resolve your problems.

My googling brought up some articles on Equip.org and Wartburg Watch that indicate he believes in the reality of Satan and demons, including succubi and incubi. I don't know your personal beliefs, but I'd be afraid a therapist following him would be intent on casting out your demons to resolve your problems.

Wow. Frightening.

First off, I should have said sorry about your therapist moving. That is always a tough transition. I wish you luck.

The reason I asked about wanting a Christian therapist because I was wondering if that is an important part of the therapy. Johanna25, did your therapist give you a list or recommend that one specifically? When I left jobs at MHC's I would do my best to match the client to the therapist I felt would best suit needs. But I knew the therapists.

A reputable therapist would seperate the therapy from his/her personal beliefs. One thing you can possibly do is interview the therapist about this and then go with your gut.

I wish you luck.

is it possible to score a quick first session/meeting on the cheap, to see if you're compatible? if so, that would be ideal to feel them out, see how they approach therapy and if it seems like it lines up with what helps you. if you get a bad feeling about them, your gut is probably trying to tell you something.

Rosy, everything that Kitten and Browncoat said is the absolute truth when it comes to choosing a new therapist. If your gut tells you something is wrong, it usually is. And a counselor that shoves a book in your face in the first few sessions usually has a personal agenda. That's not saying ALL therapists are that way, but building a rapport should come first over leading a client down any path.

Like Kitten, I know the therapists we refer to because we work with them regularly. It's hard to find a therapist cold turkey (so to speak), especially if you are looking for a certain type - such as a Christian counselor who won't be judgmental. They're out there, one just has to weed through a lot of crabgrass to find them. As Kitten said, interview the therapist and if you feel comfortable with them, move forward, if not, move on to the next one. Your mental and emotional security is of the utmost importance when approaching therapy and you shouldn't have to work with somebody that you don't feel comfortable with.

I'm liberal nondenominational Protestant who attends a liberal church (husband/wife co-pastors, allow LGBT, etc). I'm not looking for Christian therapist. For spiritual counseling and guidance, I talk to one of my ministers.

Thanks everybody for your input. That plus my own research and my gut tells me to stay away, and that's what I'm going to do. I'm canceling my appointment and asking for another referral. I'm not wasting my money and time. At least my GP prescribes my meds. So, I won't be without them.

This just sucks that my therapist would do this to me. I feel betrayed, but I'll be fine. I have wedding plans that will keep me occupied.

I'm so sorry RosyDaisy(love your name btw). Does your GP have a list of therapists? Perhaps your pastors can recommend someone. Again good luck and Enjoy your wedding!! Such a special time. Congratulations!

Thanks! Yes, she does. The problem is I'm on Medicare, so my options are limited. However, I will be on my future husband's insurance after we are married in March, and will have more options.

I think you should contact the licensing board to let them know this guy is trying to push a religious agenda on vulnerable patients.

That's a good idea - but - depending upon the state, he may not need to be licensed. Some states don't require licensing for their counselors and some states base licensing on the degree received without exerting any control over the content of the interventions used by the therapist.

Good idea, but I live in Alabama. Pushing a religious agenda is the norm here, but I'll do it anyway.

I would love for you to go for one session just for research purposes....

That sucks. I ended up following my therapist when she moved her practice 15 miles away because I did not want to find a new one. However, I think she has recommended I read one book over the 4 years I have seen her and it was about children of alcoholics. It doesn't seem right to me and if you can find a new therapist, I would recommend that.

My best friend had a therapist in a city; when my friend moved several hours away, they usually had phone sessions. After another move to six hours away, all of the sessions are by phone. Is this a possibility for other people?

Good idea, but I live in Alabama. Pushing a religious agenda is the norm here, but I'll do it anyway.

Isn't that the truth? I got sick yesterday. Went to a little urgent care by my house (no religious affiliation at all that I know of). Spent a solid 30 minutes have religious music piped directly into the room they had me in. :x

Isn't that the truth? I got sick yesterday. Went to a little urgent care by my house (no religious affiliation at all that I know of). Spent a solid 30 minutes have religious music piped directly into the room they had me in. :x

Wow. My sympathies to both of you. 30 minutes of religious music when you are already sick. Hope you are better.

I guess I am very lucky where we live, and I live in a rural area. I needed a bit of same day surgery at a family owned practice that all attended the local very Conserative Church. I was a bit apprehensive. But no music, no pictures on the wall and mostly secular magazines! The only time I hear religious music is at Christmas. The only Jesus saves signs are attached to churches, which is fine. I feel comfortable in my community even though I'm atheist.

Is this more common in southern states?

*having* my grammar has gone to hell. I blame the meds :cry:

I think I dodged a big bullet. Freedom in Christ Ministries looks more and more like IBLP and VF wrapped in pretty packaging. I can easily see how people can be sucked into this. If not for the fact I have strong liberal Christian beliefs and kept religion out of my therapy sessions, I think I could have fallen victim to this. Just Google Freedom in Christ Ministries and Neil Anderson and check out their YouTube videos.

The southern states aren't called the Bible Belt for nothing. So yeah, this kind of shit is the norm. My GP's and ENT's offices have TVs in the waiting room tuned to CNN.

Archived