IGNORED

The fight for equality makes women selfish child-haters

Burris

I have discovered the "Finding Joy in Everything" blog, but the more accurate title would be "Finding Fault in Women."

On 12 January, the blogger, Jo, posted an article called, "Are Modern Women Becoming Harder and Harsher?"

It's not really a question, of course; Jo has latent psychic powers that allow her not only to see into the hearts of every other women: She chose to quote from another woman - alas not a Christian, she bemoans - who shares her odious beliefs.

Natalia Sanmartin Fenollera writes the following:

What I mean is that modern women . . . to a greater or less extent (are) hard. The yearning you all display to prove your worth, to show that you know this and that, to ensure that you can have it all.

This is a mixture of misunderstanding and ignorance. Bias against women still does exist in some workplaces, and so such women must work hard - probably harder than their male counterparts - to achieve something even close to equal recognition.

That has nothing to do with "wanting it all"; many women work not for fancy homes and exotic vacations, but to help with household expenses. And there is no evidence beyond whatever anecdotes Jo and her antifeminists are wont to trot out at times like this that modern women believe in the "have it all" idea. Most people recognize that to have one thing must necessarily cost another. (Does Jo actually know any working women, FFS?)

...the yearning not to be seen as inferior, but instead even as superior...

No; it's the "yearning" to be recognized as equal and valuable - you know, such as the other half of the human race.

The inexplicable yearning for the world to give you credit simply for being a woman.

Strawman. Caricature. The only people who make claims such as this - aside from the occasional crackpot who engages in misandry - are the antifeminists themselves.

Women want to be treated as citizens and received equal pay for equal work, so obviously this must surely be a plot to bring down men.

A woman writes this shit; she's quite firmly attached people to those who would see her stripped of her rights. Most other people just aren't that stupid, however; and hopefully the only people who read those kids of posts do so just watch the show.

Jo herself then weighs in:

Women (in general) are loosing their femininity, their softness, their gentleness, their meekness, their graciousness, their vulnerability, their sensitivity, their emotional bond with family, children and home as they strive to gain equality, to prove themselves, to have it all, to be better than men, to achieve greatness.

So those women who want to make their own money, or who have to do so, have so managed to transcend every shred of their own humanity so that they no longer feel empathy or family bonds.

There is no proof of this claim. It's merely an assertion without force, and yet I'm sure Jo is proud of maligning anyone not herself as an unnatural mother.

Being a mother and wife is no longer considered an important calling.

No matter what career a person chooses, there will be someone - sometimes many people - will condemn it as useless, low status, antique...

Why does Joe care what such people think? Are they forcing her to work?

There was always going to be price for women leaving their traditional roles and taking on the world. But the price has been greater than anyone expected and many are still blind to the cost (not just to themselves, but to others), or are unable to find a way back without biblical truth.

So if people don't see this alleged high cost, that must be their own fault for missing something so obvious. It's impossible that Joe would be wrong, or that she could be witnesses a phenomenon that crosses both sexes and is being caused by economic and physical insecurity.

So why have women gone down this path? Why have they decided that femininity is now bad news, that a soft answer is a sign of weakness? That anger is better than gentleness.

I suppose the simple answer is straying from the Word of God, becoming Godless. I think its selfishness, its the "all-about me" culture that we live in

Sorry, I can't stomach reading her blog. I salute you for doing so. This is so my sister(who I love dearly). She says I have issues with men because I expect to be treated as an equal and with respect. She has to be obedient to her husband. It is interesting that she is the breadwinner of the family. These people are trying to bring us back to the Middle Ages.

ETA. I love my son (a child). I love working with my child patients, the teens I mentor and my RE kindergarten class. Huh. Supporting equality for women and I like kids. How did that happen?

Yeah, I have no stomach for this either, but I love how these people look at history through rose-colored glasses. Women working is not a modern invention. My third great grandmother worked in a pencil factory in the early 1900s. I do genealogy work and I see women all the time listed with occupations, even in the 1800s. And anyone who lived on a farm was doing some kind of work - even mothers - and that goes back generations. Maybe it doesn't count because it was a home business? But it took them out of the "home" and away from caring for their children, at least for part of the day - and yet they still managed to be good mothers! But try explaining "history" and "facts" to these people. :angry-banghead:

Fundie women like this lady who like to talk about other women as being selfish and wrong are the ones who seem "harsh" and "hard" to me.

I'd be tempted to say to this lady: If you're happy with your life, great. Some women want different things than you do. Thankfully we live in a society that allows both women and men to choose a non-traditional path if it suits them.

Archived