IGNORED

Stacy: Brady Bunch Kids Had Measles, No Biggie

DomWackTroll

Mike and Carol Brady didn't freak out when their kids got the measles, so neither should you. Seriously.

facebook.com/stacy.mcdonald/posts/10204768690929260?pnref=story

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was lucky enough to have an very mild case of measles, but several kids in my class were extremely ill and my sister was nearly hospitalized and then confined to bed for almost six weeks. Yeah, tell me how it's nothing major...

FICTION! FICTION!! FICTION!!! AAARRRGGGHHH!

I think she's been smoking way too many essential oils. :hookah:

Oh yes, that gritty documentary, The Brady Bunch. Next she'll be lecturing us about the best way to get rid of a cursed tiki necklace. Oh Greg!

The problem is there is no separate Measles vaccine [at least not marketed in the US]. So, kids that are not vaccinated against Measles are also not vaccinated against Mumps and Rubella, both of which are very dangerous illnesses, especially for older people.

Measles might have been a normal childhood disease back, but nowadays it's not, and most parents would have no idea what to do about it.

Remember when Bobby kissed a girl and she said, "you shouldn't have done that, the doctor says I might have the mumps." The Brady family was afraid they were going to be quarenteened.

These diseases might have been common, but they were no less of a threat.

Stacy, you incredible nincompoop!! The Brady Bunch is a fictional sitcom, of course they weren't going to show any of those kids getting seriously ill.

Measles can be deadly. God forbid one of your precious grandbabies should come down with it - but if they do, I guarantee you'll be singing a different tune. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

The problem is there is no separate Measles vaccine [at least not marketed in the US]. So, kids that are not vaccinated against Measles are also not vaccinated against Mumps and Rubella, both of which are very dangerous illnesses, especially for older people.

Plus, mumps can cause sterility in men in or past puberty. That's supposed to be a big deal if you're into militant fecundity.

For arguments sake let's say they are not deadly. Why would you want to risk your child expierenceing the extreme discomfort involved? Do you even care if they suffer? Or do you secretly romanticise your kid being severely ill and the attention you would get while nursing them selflessly back to health?

Well, besides the fact that the Brady Bunch are fictional...

My mother had a fairly severe case of measles back in the '40s. She had to repeat a year of school and became partially deaf in one ear. She's now in her mid-70s and the deafness is a real problem now. Yeah, measles is such a no biggie that Mom had us lined up for shots.

When he was in first grade, my dad got chicken pox, measles, and rubella. He didn't suffer any lasting complications, but he missed so much school that they were going to hold him back a grade. My grandmother was able to convince the principal that my dad would make up the work.

My preschool friend caught measles. She ended up in hospital and developed encephalitis which led to brain damage. I don't remember her before her illness but my mother describes her as a bright girl, very much my equal. I remember her as I knew her at school, a girl with language problems, struggling to develop normal social skills, severe learning problems and physically uncoordinated. I lost track of her through high school as she moved away from main stream education but the last time I saw her she still didn't understand the concept of the letters on the page forming words. I don't care what happened in the Brady Bunch, I will always compare the preschooler my mum describes to the girl I knew and go with immunisation.

My preschool friend caught measles. She ended up in hospital and developed encephalitis which led to brain damage. I don't remember her before her illness but my mother describes her as a bright girl, very much my equal. I remember her as I knew her at school, a girl with language problems, struggling to develop normal social skills, severe learning problems and physically uncoordinated. I lost track of her through high school as she moved away from main stream education but the last time I saw her she still didn't understand the concept of the letters on the page forming words. I don't care what happened in the Brady Bunch, I will always compare the preschooler my mum describes to the girl I knew and go with immunisation.

I'm so sorry about your friend. These are the kinds of stories that need to be told.

Anti vaxxers are living in an imaginary world. It's sad and almost predictable that Stacy M. would look at the mention of measles on the Brady Bunch as an endorsement. :angry-banghead:

I had the measles & the mumps along with my younger brother. No lasting effects for either of us, thank heaven, but they were serious illnesses and we were miserably sick for weeks because the viruses came on pretty much back-to-back. Two of our cousins actually had measles and mumps at the same time -- talk about miserable.

You'd better believe that my kid was vaccinated with the MMR combo as soon as we could get it done.

My sister and I both had the measles, I was about 3 and she was 2. We were in side by side hospital beds for a week. Thankfully no lasting effects, but I am glad that I don't have to worry about my kids catching them (or whooping cough, which I contracted at uni because we had no idea you need booster shots). Immunisations are awesome.

Yes, measles wasn't that huge a deal, because what could you do? And when compared to scarlet fever and diptheria and polio a few deaths from encephalitis is almost minimal.

Measles is more dangerous than mumps or rubella (for non-embryos). The death rate for mumps is 1 in 10,000 and even infertility is rare. The current death rate for measles is 5% (according to CDC, WHO says can be 10% in malnourished). That is in the developing world, I understand the death rate in the first world wasn't that high. But, due to a massive vaccination campaign, cases and deaths in the third world have been plunging dramatically.

In 2013, there were 145 700 measles deaths globally – about 400 deaths every day or 16 deaths every hour.

Measles vaccination resulted in a 75% drop in measles deaths between 2000 and 2013 worldwide.

In 2013, about 84% of the world's children received one dose of measles vaccine by their first birthday through routine health services – up from 73% in 2000.

source: WHO

Clearly, we should all make our healthcare decisions based on what Mike and Carol Brady did, just as we should all hold single mother Murphy Brown responsible for the downfall of the nuclear family.

Pregnant women who get Rubella run the risk of their child having multiple birth defects.

Measles can lead to a variety of long term disabilities in the people who catch measles.

I always wonder if the anti-vaxxers just think their parents and grandparents were gullible iidiots, or if they recognize that their parents and grandparents took their kids in for vaccinations because they had seen first had the results of these childhood diseases and want to avoid them. I guess we'll have to have a few severe epidemics to reteach us about why people used to be happy to get vaccinations.

One of the great ironies of the anti-vax movement is that on thing Rubella is known to cause with prenatal exposure is.... autism.

Archived