IGNORED

Sister Wives: Kody the Idiot Divorces Meri to Marry Robyn

Eternalbluepearl

I will absolutely never have a wet bar in my house because Meri ruined it for me :P

We had a wet bar in our old house (house built in mid-1980s) because that was the thing at the time it was built. The only time we ever used it for anything other than parking the fish tank on was when our kitchen was remodeled... then we used it to wash dishes. When we got the house ready for sale we had the wet bar pulled out because our agent said it was dated and not a feature people wanted. That was 5 years ago.

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that a large part of their family broke down when they went into separate houses. The oldest kids talk about growing up as close as any brothers and sisters from a 2 parent household and there are pictures of them all in the same bath etc. ... it seamed like Cody has 4 separate families that he would just rotate time with. Not much of a shared experience if you ask me. more like a traveling business man with two families.

That really is how it seems. They went from being one family (granted, a family with problems) to four separate families with one shitty dad to pass around. Doesn't seem to be working out so great.

And splitting money/homes equally almost makes it even less like a family, IMO, because when you're a family, you make the best decisions for the entire unit. While buying four houses in general wasn't the best decision, Meri was really the worst of them. I think that woman is so miserable and resentful that she'll just take whatever she can get. She has a PERMANENT FROWN on her face.

Why in the heck would a (practically fundamentalist) Mormon need a wet bar in the first place?! You can make dirty cokes on the counter and be just fine.

Why in the heck would a (practically fundamentalist) Mormon need a wet bar in the first place?! You can make dirty cokes on the counter and be just fine.

We don't drink, and we have a wet bar. It's actually pretty handy for entertaining -- we can set up a buffet or whatever on the bar, and it keeps kitchen traffic to a minimum (which is good since our kitchen is small).

If you're asking about fundamentalist Mormons and drinking, the answer is that they drink, unlike mainstream LDS. If you're asking about practicalities, I have no idea. But thanks to my student days, I'll drink wine from mugs, so what do I know?

If you're asking about fundamentalist Mormons and drinking, the answer is that they drink, unlike mainstream LDS. If you're asking about practicalities, I have no idea. But thanks to my student days, I'll drink wine from mugs, so what do I know?

Kody's family drinks? I knew the My 5 Wives people drank - I remember the wine tasting "girl's night" episode - but I can't remember Kody ever drinking. I thought they were against it. But there's a lot of episodes I haven't seen.

Kody's family drinks? I knew the My 5 Wives people drank - I remember the wine tasting "girl's night" episode - but I can't remember Kody ever drinking. I thought they were against it. But there's a lot of episodes I haven't seen.

Not necessarily Kody's family. I actually have no idea about their stance on drinking. My point was more general. Fundamentalist LDS tend to be more relaxed about drinking. On "Polygamy USA", for example, there was a scene where two sister-wives shared a bottle of wine. Carolyn Jessop in her book "Escape" talks about drinking in the FLDS, if memory serves.

I don't know if the Brown family drinks, but it wouldn't be unusual for a fundie LDS family.

ETA: Fundamentalist LDS, generally tend not to follow the "Word of Wisdom", which prohibits drinking. They are more inclined to consider it a guideline. The mainstream LDS is stricter about that. It is possible that the Browns follow the WoW.

I thought the reason they gave on the episode had something to do with all the baking Meri apparently does? So she would have a place to put all the treats? Something like that - I could be wrong. But doesn't she have a huge kitchen island as well? That's a hell of a lot of unnecessary space... I mean, I bake all the time and would never dream of having a wet bar just to put all my treats out. But to each their own. This was clearly a case of Meri just bitching and moaning til she got her way. Probably a regular occurrence in that family.

I think the wet bar tantrum was Meti's big FU to the other wives for not paying for IVF when Meri was young enough for it to have worked.

Not necessarily Kody's family. I actually have no idea about their stance on drinking. My point was more general. Fundamentalist LDS tend to be more relaxed about drinking. On "Polygamy USA", for example, there was a scene where two sister-wives shared a bottle of wine. Carolyn Jessop in her book "Escape" talks about drinking in the FLDS, if memory serves.

I don't know if the Brown family drinks, but it wouldn't be unusual for a fundie LDS family.

ETA: Fundamentalist LDS, generally tend not to follow the "Word of Wisdom", which prohibits drinking. They are more inclined to consider it a guideline. The mainstream LDS is stricter about that. It is possible that the Browns follow the WoW.

I seem to remember two episodes early on where we saw Kody and Meri drinking on a date (an anniversary?) and Kody and Robyn drinking on their honeymoon. The drinks looked alcoholic but suppose they could have been virgin daiquiris or something similar

That really is how it seems. They went from being one family (granted, a family with problems) to four separate families with one shitty dad to pass around. Doesn't seem to be working out so great.

And splitting money/homes equally almost makes it even less like a family, IMO, because when you're a family, you make the best decisions for the entire unit. While buying four houses in general wasn't the best decision, Meri was really the worst of them. I think that woman is so miserable and resentful that she'll just take whatever she can get. She has a PERMANENT FROWN on her face.

I hate it when Merri says she is the others kids Mom too. To me if she REALLY felt that way she would put food or necessities for the kids before her healthy lifestyle/ wet bar.

I think I remember them saying they don’t drink... But I have no proof or reference to go on. I believe it was when they first moved to Vegas and were discussing that there were so many more bad influences then there was back in Mormon vill.

I think the wet bar tantrum was Meti's big FU to the other wives for not paying for IVF when Meri was young enough for it to have worked.

is this fact? I seam to remember them discussing that they had talked about it and Meri saying she didn’t want to do it, not the other way around.

The my five wives family used to NOT be allowed to drink. Now that they quit, they can. Kody's family is from the same church - the AUB - so I would think that they couldn't drink, either. I assume those margarita things were virgin. The polygamy usa group and the flds are allowed to drink.

Huh, TIL! I suppose now that I think about it, Janelle drinks coffee, which is against the WoW. She once tweeted about putting butter in her coffee.

I agree that it was a FU for something!

is this fact? I seam to remember them discussing that they had talked about it and Meri saying she didn’t want to do it, not the other way around.

No, they discussed it when the show was filming, she was already 40, so it's pretty close to a waste of time. There's no way she would be this upset over only having one child and not have wanted to try everything back when it could have worked. It must have been vetoed by the other wives or by Kody.

As a parent, family resources should be divided equally based on the number of children because it is not right for Kody to father children and then have them treated differently based on who is their mother. When they first moved to Vegas and they were all renting separate houses, Janelle said on the show "my kids want to know why Meri gets that big house while we are having trouble paying for groceries." So Janelle's kids definitely notice the discrepancy.

I would love to know what Meri does with the other bedrooms. She has at least 5 - one for her, one for her kid (who's away at college), and I know one is set up with bunkbeds for 2 of the other kids who like to visit. So that's 2 bedrooms that probably never get used. Plus she has a "craft room" on the first floor. So most of the time, she's in a 9-10 room house ALONE?

What a waste of space, electricity (imagine the cost to air-condition that place especially with cathedral ceilings?), time spent cleaning, etc.

Regarding the Word of Wisdom, it was only in the 20th century that it became a hard rule for the LDS. Back in Joseph Smith's time it was more of a general guideline. There are accounts of Mormons even drinking wine in the temple.

Wow! I watched the show last night. I don't know if it was a rerun. They met this other polygamist family, one guy and two gals, both women looked very similar, I was certain they were sisters at first. The Browns, as always, were painful to watch. Kody is just so awkward and.... I don't know, douchy? When he said that it wasn't his responsibility to manage the jealousy of 4 wifes, and that he couldn't manage all of their feelings. Well, why did you marry 4 women, you doofus? :angry-banghead: Oh yeah, to control 4 vaginas maybe?

Janelle was right to be mad at Kody and his PMS statement. Women aren't just hormones and biology. She seems to be the only sensible adult in that group and even though I doubt she will leave, I say: FreeJanelle!

I haven't Carolyn Jessop's book, but I do remember a few FJers mentioning FLDS members drinking with the prophet at events.

The budget issue is phrased as being all about the wives. What about the children? If they are second mothers to each others children, don't they want those kids to eat healthily and well? A formula that took into account ages, numbers and genders of children would be the best for the children.

Exactly! That's the part that drives me nuts about Meri.

I have a blended family, and there is no way I'd be insisting on all sorts of extras for myself while my step kids were struggling. It's just not right.

I think the huge houses were ridiculous, but I understand that if they were going that route Meri was probably very limited in what she could do floor plan wise. But I would think she'd AT LEAST not bitch and moan about needing extra. And IIRC one of the women with lots of kids had an awkward age/sex room sharing set up for a kid who was mostly away at College. Why not have the college kids have rooms at Meri's?

I understand she's really sad and heartbroken about not being able to give birth to more children, but the whole thing bugs me for a couple reasons--

--She could of tried to use IVF or other means when it was brought up. She is getting older, but it's hardly that unusual for a woman her age with fertility issues to get pregnant with help. But when she was offered the opportunity, despite all her constant complaining, she turned it down.

I don't know what all she tried before, but it's possible they weren't able to do much because of finances. But I'm sure the show would be very happy to pay for fertility treatments, it would be a definite ratings draw.

-- Also, if she's really a second mom and they are one big family -- why isn't she spending her time and giving her nurturing to the babies and little kids in the family? I understand it's not exactly the same- but in their system it should be close. I certainly felt nurturing and loving and maternal to my step kids, now that they are starting to have kids those grand kids truly don't feel any different to me than my biological grand kids.

Besides the wet bar, Meri had to have French doors instead of sliding doors to the back yard. If I remember correctly, Robyn gave her money from her house budget because she didn't ask for all the upgrades. Meri's house cost the most of all 4 houses.

Sunday's episode was more of the same. Kody yelling at Christine for Christine being upset, Kody blaming her upset feelings on PMS, a new polygamist family the Browns go and meet. The wives look like sisters to me. They aren't related, but they look very alike. Mostly the episode was Kody attempting to appear macho. Janelle walked out on their dinner because Kody is an ass. I'm sure that's just Tuesday though in that family.

I think Meri's sense of entitlement comes from the fact that she is the first wife, the only legal wife and was kind or spiritual enough to share Kody with the other 3. That's just the impression that I get from her.

Archived