IGNORED

Jana & John David turn 25 today.

Toothfairy

I don't think they're implying Jana is a virtuoso. They just don't know what concert pianist means. :roll: Just like them throwing around doula and midwife interchangeably without clarifying the difference between a nurse midwife and what Jill was (is?) attempting. I don't think they do it intentionally, I think they are just utterly clueless. The usual confusion from living in a fundie bubble of intentional ignorance. I mean, I don't think there is a really a "technical" definition of concert pianist, but obviously most people consider it someone who is actually performing solo performances to (paying) crowds. You know, crowds that include people outside your home church...

It makes me sad that all they have to say about Jana is that she's a concert pianist...when she isn't even a concert pianist. Poor Jana must be about ready to have a breakdown if she doesn't get out of that house soon. 25 years old and she needs a chaperone to go out in public and still sleeps in a bedroom full of grade school sisters. I don't doubt she loves her sisters, but it's just plain messed up how she is treated like a child when her married, younger sisters can be seen as "grown women" and her twin brother can fly around to who knows where. RUN, JANA! May 2015 be the year she GETS OUT. Whether by marriage or any other way. I hope John gets out too, but mostly I worry about Jana. :(

And I love my parents and enjoy going out with them often, but a birthday lunch with Jim Bob and Michelle at a Cracker Barrel sounds more like a nightmare than a birthday to me.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually there is a formal definition of concert pianist.

A Concert Pianist is someone who earns their living giving solo performances on the piano.

Depending on the dictionary you use, many add in that it is a classical pianist. (As in, not specifically playing classical music but that a solo jazz or rock pianist is not a Concert Pianist.) This definition is in most music dictionaries, the Oxford Dictionary and the Collins Dictionary.

Actually there is a formal definition of concert pianist.

A Concert Pianist is someone who earns their living giving solo performances on the piano.

Depending on the dictionary you use, many add in that it is a classical pianist. (As in, not specifically playing classical music but that a solo jazz or rock pianist is not a Concert Pianist.) This definition is in most music dictionaries, the Oxford Dictionary and the Collins Dictionary.

When I looked up the definition just now, it said someone who "regularly" performs solo piano in concert. It actually doesn't specify that you "make a living" (or even get paid). Which brings me to my point - that what really matters is the common usage of the words, which clearly is someone who makes a living with paid concerts (the usage you referred to).

The Duggars not understanding the typical use of common language just show HOW out of touch they are. They don't even realize how stupid they sound when they call Jana a concert pianist or say Jill is a midwife, with no mention of her specific type of midwifery that involves no clinical training.

People accuse them of trying to inflate their skills, but I think JB+M are just too far removed from reality to know what a concert pianist actually is. I truly do not think they are trying to imply that Jana is ready for a full house to listen to her bang out the classics on a grand piano. They probably think that she's putting on "concerts" every weekend at a nursing home and that makes her a "concert pianist," because they've probably never heard "concert pianist" used in an actual sentence with context before..!

I'm 36 and I would love to go to Vegas with my mom. And, I would have loved to have gone at that age too. I'm no concert pianist though, so what do I know? ;)

Your screen name is making my feet tingle... :angry-jumpinganger:

Neither Jill nor Jessa posted a happy birthday post on Insta. Odd, no?

Jessa got in a post at 11:30pm Central time.

Smuggar got in a post an hour before that (on Eastern time).

Nothing from Jill or @duggarfam (the sisters' account, so nothing from Jinger...is she still in DC?)

My first thought when I saw that quote as well. Jana may be quite a good piano player... good enough to be a church accompanist. She's probably played piano for Duggar family performances at church concerts. They don't realize that concert pianist is a whole 'nother level.

I get the drift that they're competing with the Bateses since their oldest daughter is accomplished in something.

If Jana's a concert pianist, I'm pretty sure I'm a Pulitzer Prize winner.

:shifty-kitty:

Good to know, because I was feeling a little down on myself earlier today.

:violin:

And the bottle of wine in my fridge makes me a somalier!

I'm 36 and I would love to go to Vegas with my mom. And, I would have loved to have gone at that age too. I'm no concert pianist though, so what do I know? ;)

Welcome to the madhouse!

I paid bills tonight = mathematics professor aaaaaaaaannnd

I made my dog sit while I trimmed her nails = I'm the freaking dog whisperer aaaaaaaaannnd soooo, I want a shiny badge too. Poor Jana, I wonder if they ever say "why can't you be more like ______.?" Like she doesn't do enough.

Neither Jill nor Jessa posted a happy birthday post on Insta. Odd, no?

Not really. Neither is very consistent with the happy birthday posts. In the last few months I think Jill missed Jinger and Jana/JD's birthdays while Jessa missed Joy, Johannah, Jordyn, Josie, etc. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Ok, enough snark on "concert pianist". I know wish to turn my attention to "police work". I know JD got elected (unopposed, IIRC) to some position which, ever since, the Duggars have called his police work. Can somebody from America please explain to me exactly what his position is and what his duties would be? I have never really understood what JD actually does.

Michelle needs to officially take on her title of brood mare.

I have never really understood what a constable does either. I know in my little town, our constable's car never seemed to move from in front of his house. For months I swear it never moved. Then one morning taking the kids to school I saw it out. Sitting at the doughnut shop. Seriously.

Ok, enough snark on "concert pianist". I know wish to turn my attention to "police work". I know JD got elected (unopposed, IIRC) to some position which, ever since, the Duggars have called his police work. Can somebody from America please explain to me exactly what his position is and what his duties would be? I have never really understood what JD actually does.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constable#Arkansas. http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Constable

I feel bad for Jana. She's been so sheltered that her parents can't find anything impressive to say that's not a lie, and at the same time they know her so poorly that they can't find the little gems in the ordinary that make her remarkable. Most people don't do anything impressive with their lives, especially not by age 25, but most parents can still find things to take pride in in the perfectly normal aspects of their child's life.

Whatever a constable does, he felt he could refer to himself as a "cop" in one of last season's episodes. I just hope some of the worldly ways of the rest of the force rub off on him.

Whatever a constable does, he felt he could refer to himself as a "cop" in one of last season's episodes. I just hope some of the worldly ways of the rest of the force rub off on him.

Where I live in Arkansas constables do NOTHING! I knew one that served papers but I think that was as a process server and not a constable. Our don't even hang out at the police station with the other cops.

My heart breaks for Jana. I sure hope that I am wrong in how I think she feels.

A concert pianist? Where did that come from? Does she have a CD of piano music? Does she play at all the fundie events? Has she started teaching piano lessons so she can get out of the "mail room"?

I guess DQ couldn't say that she is the Duggar slave girl, so she had to say something. As the oldest daughter, she had to spend her life taking care of her siblings and the house, while her younger siblings didn't have such a responsibility. I don't think she ever had the time to develop who she wanted to be or what was important to her.

John's life is so different. He's gone all day from the house doing um, something. He has access to the family plane and gets to fly family members around. From what little we have seen, he is probably sitting pretty well financially ... has a house he worked for and is renting out now.

I think the saddest part of all this is they can't say what Jana really is. Jana is a mother. A kind and loving mother who knows she will lose custody of her kids if she marries and would lose all contact with them if she were to abandon their controlling religious views. She has been parenting longer than any of the other girls and I am sure has the same level of attachment to her "buddies" as any mother. Michelle makes me sick. She is just a surrogate for mothers who, unfortunately, didn't choose to be mothers.

Is Zack Bates a cop? I thought I saw a pic of him in a uniform. If JD was a real cop, he'd have to go to an Academy or training of sorts. Even backwoods bumfuck towns don't just pass out guns and shiny badges.

I think it would be awesome if the tyrants woke up one late morning, and Jana was gone. Leaving a note saying, time to spend the next 25 years my way, but first I have to find myself, I'll send postcards from my travels. Where in the world is Jana San Diego. And the little kids could track her on the globe.

Is Zack Bates a cop? I thought I saw a pic of him in a uniform. If JD was a real cop, he'd have to go to an Academy or training of sorts. Even backwoods bumfuck towns don't just pass out guns and shiny badges.

I think it would be awesome if the tyrants woke up one late morning, and Jana was gone. Leaving a note saying, time to spend the next 25 years my way, but first I have to find myself, I'll send postcards from my travels. Where in the world is Jana San Diego. And the little kids could track her on the globe.

If only she had enough confidence to do that! But then, they have traveled the world already so she does have some experience, and a passport...

Archived