IGNORED

Interracial marriage: The Alger/Singhs

NotALoserLikeYou

We often wonder how interracial marriages would be perceived by certain families we follow. I just saw this blog post on niednagel.com which features the recent wedding of Amanda Alger and Luis Singh. Now, if you look past her horrifying dress, you will see that he is not lily white. looking at his facebook, it appears he is Indian and Latino. Their site

http://www.amanda-and-luis.com/

shows they met on a Reformed singles online dating site! After three in person visits they were engaged. Both posted about infant baptism and it was a match made in heaven! He also appears to know everything about everything according to his facebook

facebook.com/luis.singh.144?pnref=friends.search

A search here shows no results for Alger, but the Algers appear to be a large fundie family. Lots of older kids involved in costumes or reenactments or whatever they do. Luis is devoutly reformed, posts a lot about modesty for women, and about how feminism is "diabolical" - and he also has a neck tattoo which makes the picture more awesome:

facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152554322947398&set=pb.793972397.-2207520000.1420573309.&type=3&theater

dec4145.jpg

dec4147.jpg

Ok but back to the dress and now the bridesmaid dresses!

dec4144.jpg

I actually can't believe Jordan has friends that tacky. One thing I can give the ThomNegels is a point for decent taste. I can't even discuss the issue you posed because this whole wedding looks like a joke in a movie for tacky bridesmaids dresses.

Sorry - can't think. My mind was blown by this tacky wedding.

Does anyone know what the groom's neck tattoo says?

That's a LOT of dress! :pink-shock: I think the real proof of the pudding will come about when it's time for the children of this union to court.

Looking at their Facebooks... It is so weird how he dresses like a modern dude while she's stuck in 1980s Frumperland. They look odd together:

10613058_864048180275164_1094301660176730102_n.jpg?oh=e4d2241dfb1863e22835ed80da1dcbdd&oe=554105FC&__gda__=1429988298_c730874a5d7f2ddc5e2e8765dc74782e

She looks LESS conservatively dressed in earlier pictures. She has on pants and a short skirt in some of them! I wonder if the long skirts are a seasonal choice, or a choice for him?

Ok so they're not outraged by interracial marriage that's a good thing. But man that is an ugly dress that isn't doing her any favors.

From a males point of view and a son thats getting married in April, the bridesmaids dresses remind of those big huge suckers you buy at a circus, 50 different colors, so if i walked in the church in April and saw that mess,, I would take up drinking again

Where is his neck tatoo??? i can't see it. I went on his fb page...bad idea. He called Roman Catholicism not Christianity but another religion??? :pink-shock: :pink-shock: What is reformed Theology??? Ive heard a lot from Jasmine Holmes but I am confused

Naatashamaru, google Calvinism. Its a whole thing that is too complicated for me to describe.

What's interesting is on his website he says he was the only reformed person he knew, so his family is not reformed, and I would love to know how he just stumbled upon it and embraced it.

Is it some sort of rule that fundie brides have to have a poorly done, stringy looking mess of a hair-do on their wedding day?

Is it some sort of rule that fundie brides have to have a poorly done, stringy looking mess of a hair-do on their wedding day?

Perhaps to be frugal and homemade.

I want to know more about the Reformed singles online dating site!

:lol: Actually - I'm pretty sure you don't. Reformed singles (especially if they advertise themselves as such) are notoriously pompous and insufferable. I grew up in those circles and it was quite something else. I'm not sure there are proper words to describe it.

Are Reformed Singles those who left their backsliding in the past to become newly saved or have they reclaimed their virginity? I'm so confused.

sovereigngracesingles.com/

Before you join Sovereign Grace Singles we ask that you review the following Doctrinal Statement. By joining, you are asserting that you believe the statements below. So if you agree, click "I agree" and join us!

What we mean by "Reformed"

Reformed theology gets its name from the sixteenth century Protestant Reformation. Believers in the Reformed tradition regard highly the specific contributions of such people as Martin Luther, John Knox, and particularly John Calvin. However, Reformed theology was not "invented" in the sixteenth century. The stream of orthodoxy reaches back through the ages, ultimately finding its source in the headwaters of all truth, the Scriptures themselves.

Reformed theology places great emphasis on the doctrine of God, this doctrine being central to the whole of its theology. The chief and most distinctive article of our theology is God’s sovereignty. Sovereignty means "rule" and the sovereignty of God means that God rules over His creation with absolute power and authority. He determines what is going to happen, and it does happen. God is not alarmed, frustrated, or defeated by circumstances, by sin, or by the rebellion of His creatures.

His sovereignty also oversees the salvation of man as manifested in the doctrines of grace. The doctrines of grace have historically been represented by the acrostic TULIP. In short, this doctrine biblically describes God’s role in man’s salvation.

Total depravity (T) declares that man is dead in sin and incapable of exercising faith without first being regenerated by the sovereign work of the Holy Spirit. Unconditional election (U) refers to God’s gracious work of election whereby according to His good pleasure and not based on anything man has done, the elect are brought to saving faith by the work of the Holy Spirit. Limited atonement (L) means that Christ’s death, though sufficient to save all, was efficient to save the elect. In this sense, all for whom the atonement was designed to save, will be saved. Irresistible grace (I) refers to God’s effectual calling being "operative," not "cooperative," whereby the regenerate are made willing to come to Christ and cling to Him for their redemption. Perseverance of the saints (P) means that those who are truly regenerate come to saving faith will never lose their salvation. God preserves them and will complete the work He has begun.

We do not believe Reformed theology is a sect or branch of Christianity, we believe as the great London preacher Charles H. Spurgeon said, reformed theology is a synonym for biblical Christianity.

What we mean by "Evangelical"

The word "evangelical" comes from the Greek word meaning "good news." For years, it identified those believers who held to the basic Christian doctrines (i.e., the Trinity, the Deity of Christ, the Resurrection & the Judgment of all men, etc.).

In the course of history, however words change. In our day this has happened to the word "evangelical." In the past, it served as a bond of unity between Christians from a wide diversity of church traditions. Historic evangelicalism was confessional. That is, it affirmed historic Christian orthodoxy as those defined by the Apostles’ Creed and the great ecumenical councils of the first millennium of Christian history such as the Councils of Nicea, Chalcedon, Constantinople, and others.

Historic evangelicalism also shared a common heritage in the "solas" of the sixteenth century Protestant Reformation. The "solas" (Latin for "only") affirmed the following: Sola Scriptura (Scripture alone), Solus Christus (Christ alone), Sola Gratia (Grace alone), Sola Fide (Faith alone), Soli Deo Gloria (To God be the Glory alone).

In short, the "solas" were the rallying cry of the reformers. Scripture is the sole source of divine revelation. Christ is the sole source of our salvation via His sinless life and His substitutionary atonement. Grace is the sole source of our justification and reconciliation to the Father. Faith is the sole means by which Christ’s righteousness is imputed to us. And lastly, that God’s Glory is to be pursued as man’s chief end and purpose for living.

Today, however, the light of the Reformation has been significantly dimmed. The consequence is that the word "evangelical" has become so inclusive as to have lost its meaning. Because of this crisis and because of our love of Christ, His gospel, and His Church, we endeavor to assert anew our commitment to the central truths of the Reformation and of historic evangelicalism. These truths we affirm not because of their role in our traditions, but because we believe that they are central to the Bible.

What we mean by "Church"

The biblical word for church means "those who are called out." The church, therefore, is the assembly or gathering of the elect, those whom God calls out of the world, away from sin and into a state of grace. Each Lord's Day, the church gathers to worship God. The question "How does God want to be worshipped?" is of utmost importance. Regrettably, the question has too often become "How do we want to worship God?" The result is a man-centered service as opposed to a God-centered one.

The loss of God's centrality in the life of today's church is common and lamentable. It is this loss of God centeredness that has led the church to transform worship into entertainment, gospel preaching into marketing, believing into technique, holiness into feeling good about ourselves, and faithfulness into being successful. As a result, God, Christ and the Bible have come to mean too little to us and rest too inconsequentially upon us.

But God does not exist to satisfy human ambitions, cravings, the appetite for consumption, or our own private spiritual interests. We must focus on God in our worship, rather than the satisfaction of our personal needs. God is sovereign in worship; we are not. Our concern must be for God's kingdom, not our own empires, popularity or success.

It is with this understanding that we approach Sunday morning with a carefully considered order of worship. We worship with fear and trembling but we also worship with joy and confidence. After all, there is no other earthly exercise more important than the worship of the Most High God.

Do you agree? Then click here on I agree to come join us at Sovereign Grace Singles!

OOOO They've got an active forum. Talking about interracial relationships! And birth control! But you can't see unless a member ::::off to waste my life away lurking there::::

sovereigngracesingles.com/

Hmmm...I'm not really seeing where the neck tattoo comes into all this. I don't think John Calvin would approve. :naughty:

I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt on the dress - perhaps it was a "family" dress but OMG!!! Those bridesmaid dresses! I can never unsee them!

Odd that the singles site doesn't mention Zwingli - modern Reformed theology is much more Zwinglian than being based on John Calvin's beliefs. Calvin believed in the Real Presence at the Eucharist (as did most of the Reformers including Luther, Zwingli was one of the first to be strictly memorialist) and the perpetual virginity of the Virgin Mary, which would be denounced as Papist heresy by the more extreme Calvinists.

I find all of these different points of theology fascinating. People place such importance on them, as if heaven is divided up by denomination. Baptists over there, don't wander into the catholic section. Whatever will Calvinists do up there if there's no debating?

Archived