IGNORED

Escaped fundie kids done good

FundiesInMyFamily

Just watched a really interesting documentry on Showtime about the rock group Kings of Leon... The band is 3 brothers & their cousin, and they grew up in rural Oklahoma. They were raised Pentecostal, full on thrashin speakin in tounges Pentecostal. The 3 brothers' dad was a revival preacher, and they spent their childhoods traveling around the south from one tent revival to another. Their mom said they were raised to fear hell more than they were to await heaven. One of the boys was groomed from very early on to be a preacher himself.

Turns out Dad was a secret raging alcholic and their mom divorced him - I really don't know much about Penticostals but I didn't know that was allowed! Thought she was supposed to endure lol. Anyway, the whole family is proud of their success, but even today Dad says he loves the kids very much, and didn't come out and say it, but inferred that they are all going straight to hell.

One of the brothers said that the night they got signed to their record deal, he stayed up all night, freaked out and scared to death because he knew he was going to hell. That was really sad. All 4 of them still have questions/issues surrounding religion and struggle with what they were taught growing up. Despite alot of hellraising, drinking & drugs early on, all 4 seem to be really good kids and have good heads on their shoulders.

Just wanted to share - the documentery had alot of good insight what its like to grow up fundie and struggle/find your way as an adult. Its on showtime this month if ya'll wanna look it up.

They make good music. And oh man.

Their mom said they were raised to fear hell more than they were to await heaven.
This describes my upbringing to a t. Pair that with my parents teaching me we were living in the end times, and you know why I'm pretty messed up.

I hope they find peace from this terrible fear.

Here's another one:

The Revenge of Obama's Anti-Bullying Czar

Not only did Kevin Jennings survive relentless attacks from the right, he brought the issue of anti-gay harassment in public schools out of the closet

Raised in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, Jennings himself grew up below the poverty line. His father was an itinerant fundamentalist minister in the South who died when Jennings was eight. His mother, who never made it past sixth grade, supported the family working at McDonald's and cleaning houses. But she had an intense desire to see her children educated; Jennings made it into Harvard, becoming the first of 46 cousins to go to college. Now, he wants to make sure all poor kids have the educational opportunities he did.

• 5 years later...

I'm always happy to see well adjusted ex Fundies. Like many kids who grow up with abuse or strict control, many Fundies follow in their parents footsteps, and many either continue the cycle or end up drinking heavily or having substance abuse issues 

Archived