IGNORED

Josiah's birth defect?

HarleyQuinn

He could have had a tail, an extra nipple, lots of things, really.

I always wonder (no, I am not speculating this was his issue) what would they do if they had a baby with both male and female genitals? In their oh so gender rigid world I can imagine their heads exploding!

They would probably immediately pick a sex (or gender?) for said child with an "undisclosed" birth defect (even to the other Duggar kids), have any operations needed, and never speak of the "incident" again. I doubt they would tell the child until they figured out on their own after marriage, or maybe they would discourage the kid from ever getting married.

Any way you slice it, a strict gender role would be adhered to (one way or another), and the deformity itself would not be an acceptable topic of speech to anyone in that household, and certainly not out of it. In fact, the child would probably be shamed or ostracized by Boob and J'chelle., who would never let them forget how imperfect they are.

Cleft lips are apparently almost unheard of anymore due to better prenatal nutrition, but not so cleft palates although they may be less common that they were before. Both conditions interfere with the baby's ability to feed. Even if you bottle-feed, you will probably need a special nipple and, if you breastfeed, then you'll almost certainly need the help of a knowledgable lactation consultant.

Little correction here not actually relating to Josiah but there are plenty of kids born with cleft lips. Some are due to genetics and some are due to an interference with the pregnancy in the 6-8 week period when the face closes. (Clefts can occur in other parts of the face too.) My son was born with a cleft lip and gum, believed to have been caused by severe flu (raised body temperature) six weeks into the pregnancy. Whether you have feeding problems depends on the location and the severity of the cleft. I breast fed with no dramas from my sons birth, through his surgeries and longer. No help needed.

I know many, many children with cleft lips, cleft palate and one with a cleft nose, through our cleft support group.

They would probably immediately pick a sex (or gender?) for said child with an "undisclosed" birth defect (even to the other Duggar kids), have any operations needed, and never speak of the "incident" again. I doubt they would tell the child until they figured out on their own after marriage, or maybe they would discourage the kid from ever getting married.

Any way you slice it, a strict gender role would be adhered to (one way or another), and the deformity itself would not be an acceptable topic of speech to anyone in that household, and certainly not out of it. In fact, the child would probably be shamed or ostracized by Boob and J'chelle., who would never let them forget how imperfect they are.

Yup. I would also assume, if they determined said child to be male, he would spend lots of time as a teen at the alert academy. Just sayin'...

Whatever it was I feel like it's something she is ashamed of or she would tell. I can just see her bragging about god's special little miracle with the heart defect and how god and god alone healed her baby (the surgeons were just a vessel of his healing powers).

I know it doesn't seem like typical Duggar behavior, but it's possible they keep it underwraps for his privacy and to not embarrass him. In that episode years ago when Josiah first started learning to drive, Jim Bob was making fun of Josiah for being short and Michelle kept trying to stop him from saying anything on camera because she didn't want to embarrass Josiah for being short.

I know it doesn't seem like typical Duggar behavior, but it's possible they keep it underwraps for his privacy and to not embarrass him. In that episode years ago when Josiah first started learning to drive, Jim Bob was making fun of Josiah for being short and Michelle kept trying to stop him from saying anything on camera because she didn't want to embarrass Josiah for being short.

It would be wonderful if they really did care enough to do it for the right reasons. I hope that at least in some way these kids feel like they are more than just J1 through J19 and a family paycheck.

Not being snarky. What determines a "birth defect"? Anything other than absolute perfection?

Anything not considered a typical variation. Large nipples? No big deal. 3rd nipple? Now you're onto something. I think the problem is calling these things defects, but I don't know what else to call them.

I figure it can't be something on his head/face since he got it fixed at 6 months, and that picture in my avatar he looks much younger than 6 months.

But it's funny you mention the genitals thing, that's actually what the post I was reading that initially got me thinking was about. That's what they were speculating happened.

I feel slightly weird discussing this sort of thing, I don't want to embarass Josiah.

But it could have been hypospadias, where the opening of the urethra is in the wrong place of the penis. My oldest was suspected of it, and the doctors told me that if needed, this would be corrected after 6 months by a plastic surgeon or urologist. It fits the bill.

But like y'all said, it could have been anything.

It could be just about anything. Speculation will never end until they come forward and say what it was, but they don't have to do that in the least.

I suspect it was something really minor and they only mentioned it because it makes them more important though they're not saying it cause it doesn't have miracle baby potential and they don't want people to think G-d sent them something that wasn't "perfect".

I have to admit, I hate speculation about Josiah's sexuality and gender and I don't like that people still engage in it because of stupid "evidence". Josiah's been shown as a very tender-hearted, sensitive young man and it's a shame that he's been sent off to Alert prison so many times. I hate that he's been the object of nasty speculation even when he was still a minor, just because he tended to be more well-spoken and less sturdy than his taciturn brothers and liked to wear the color pink. Good grief, in the Duggar home with 9 brothers and sisters, that must have been THE way to set himself apart from the others in order to show some individuality. I know more men that care about their appearance and the color coordination of their outfits and their hair and are creative and interested in what is socially associated with "typical girly/ for women", who are sensitive and caring and affectionate than I know sturdy, stereotypical "though guys". Btw, none of them is gay or had been born intersex or anything.

The fact that people used that to fuel speculation about Josiah's sexual orientation is just another sign that even the evil educated heathens think in boxes and cliches (which are the same the fundies are sporting) and it's really dull, tbh.

FWIW, I think Josh has been a lot like Josiah as a kid. Liked to talk, sensitive, smart, caring etc. but I guess since he was supposed to be the "typical firstborn" JB and M broke his spirit and sorted him out until he was parroting their believes and lived up to their expectations. IMHO, he still struggles with that. Between his initial likeable personality and his now established "though and leading character" performance, he comes across as street-smart and smug.

If Michelle knew he would have a birth defect before he was born, and since I'm about 99% sure they didn't get diagnostic testing other than an ultrasound done, the list of birth defects he could have had that were detectable is narrowed down Occulta, which is a very mild form of spina bifida. It can be harmless, and we wouldn't have noticed it just by watching the show, Gastroschisis, which is when a portion of the intestines protrude through the stomach of the infant, next to the belly button. It's corrected with surgery but can cause problems with absorption of food and digestion problems, but again, we would likely not notice or hear about that. VSD is my best guess though, and it's more common than Occulta or Gastroschisis.

My daughter has a sacral dimple. It is the most common form of spina bifida. We had a hospital birth because they couldn't tell how deep it was.

I feel slightly weird discussing this sort of thing, I don't want to embarass Josiah.

But it could have been hypospadias, where the opening of the urethra is in the wrong place of the penis. My oldest was suspected of it, and the doctors told me that if needed, this would be corrected after 6 months by a plastic surgeon or urologist. It fits the bill.

But like y'all said, it could have been anything.

Yeah, it's weird, but where else am I going to talk about it? FJ. FWIW, Josiah is my favorite so I can't help but be curious when I see stuff like that.

My daughter has a sacral dimple. It is the most common form of spina bifida. We had a hospital birth because they couldn't tell how deep it was.

My daughter has that, too! I'd never heard of it before. I had just come out of recovery from my C-section and they were cleaning up the baby (it was very hectic and she didn't get her bath for a few hours). The nurse said "Oh, she has dimple." In my haze I just kept saying "A what?" until she was so frustrated that she was like "A dimple. A DIMPLE. ON HER BUTT." Later that day, when I could get up and change her myself my husband threw up his hands when I said "Huh. She has a dimple."

My daughter has that, too! I'd never heard of it before. I had just come out of recovery from my C-section and they were cleaning up the baby (it was very hectic and she didn't get her bath for a few hours). The nurse said "Oh, she has dimple." In my haze I just kept saying "A what?" until she was so frustrated that she was like "A dimple. A DIMPLE. ON HER BUTT." Later that day, when I could get up and change her myself my husband threw up his hands when I said "Huh. She has a dimple."

After that pregnancy and that delivery I was so happy that she was had all her organs and head was a normal size. They did a ultrasound on hers because it is a little higher up then normal. It does make it look like she has a plumber crack all the time.

It could be just about anything. Speculation will never end until they come forward and say what it was, but they don't have to do that in the least.

I suspect it was something really minor and they only mentioned it because it makes them more important though they're not saying it cause it doesn't have miracle baby potential and they don't want people to think G-d sent them something that wasn't "perfect".

I have to admit, I hate speculation about Josiah's sexuality and gender and I don't like that people still engage in it because of stupid "evidence". Josiah's been shown as a very tender-hearted, sensitive young man and it's a shame that he's been sent off to Alert prison so many times. I hate that he's been the object of nasty speculation even when he was still a minor, just because he tended to be more well-spoken and less sturdy than his taciturn brothers and liked to wear the color pink. Good grief, in the Duggar home with 9 brothers and sisters, that must have been THE way to set himself apart from the others in order to show some individuality. I know more men that care about their appearance and the color coordination of their outfits and their hair and are creative and interested in what is socially associated with "typical girly/ for women", who are sensitive and caring and affectionate than I know sturdy, stereotypical "though guys". Btw, none of them is gay or had been born intersex or anything.

The fact that people used that to fuel speculation about Josiah's sexual orientation is just another sign that even the evil educated heathens think in boxes and cliches (which are the same the fundies are sporting) and it's really dull, tbh.

FWIW, I think Josh has been a lot like Josiah as a kid. Liked to talk, sensitive, smart, caring etc. but I guess since he was supposed to be the "typical firstborn" JB and M broke his spirit and sorted him out until he was parroting their believes and lived up to their expectations. IMHO, he still struggles with that. Between his initial likeable personality and his now established "though and leading character" performance, he comes across as street-smart and smug.

I just want to clarify, I would never try to speculate on Josia's (or any of these kids) sexual or gender identity. I simply think if this was his birth defect they would work even harder to force him into their narrow minded view of a man. I am far more attracted to gentle, sensitive men and 2 of my 4 sons are the softer gentler type. One's favorite color has always been pink. So yeah, not thinking there is anything wrong with more sensitive men but I sure think the Duggars would.

I just want to clarify, I would never try to speculate on Josia's (or any of these kids) sexual or gender identity. I simply think if this was his birth defect they would work even harder to force him into their narrow minded view of a man. I am far more attracted to gentle, sensitive men and 2 of my 4 sons are the softer gentler type. One's favorite color has always been pink. So yeah, not thinking there is anything wrong with more sensitive men but I sure think the Duggars would.

I definitely agree. It annoys me when people speculate about his sexuality.

And Double agree, if that was his defect, I think the Duggars would want to make him out as the "manliest man" of them all. So considering, I highly doubt that's the case.

I have a sacral dimple, quite deep, but ive never had issues with it, it does make it look like a plumbers crack.. my mom was always telling me to pull up my pants.

My daughter has a small one as well.

Archived