IGNORED

Christians and IVF?

Rachel333

I was reading this blog and one of the authors is infertile and is getting ready to do an "embryo adoption." She explained why she doesn't agree with IVF in a previous post, which was mostly because they believe embryos are living human beings. In today's post she explained why embryo adoption is different, and one thing she said was, "Since neither of us are using our own genetic material in the creation of an adopted embryo, there is no violation of the one flesh union of our marriage." I hadn't heard that before. Do people believe that using donor eggs or sperm would be equivalent to adultery?

Her view of the world of IVF does sound pretty creepy:

Similarly, I would prefer a world where there aren’t over 600,000 children frozen as embryos, waiting for reanimation that may never come, or worse, being discarded as if they didn’t matter.

Anyway, here's the link: thehelpmates.com/embryo-adoption-vs-ivf/ I definitely wish her all the best in starting her family, but it did strike me as quite holier-than-thou.

I'm familiar with embryo adoption and actually know of folks IRL who have done it. However, I'd not heard that reasoning before. Folks I knew at my old fundie church as well as some folks I'm still in touch with have had some issues with IVF but not for that reason. For all of these folks, it seems to be mainly because of the number of embryos which may result from some types of procedures. They do not want to see embryos discarded or destroyed because that is to them the willful destruction of human life.

Wasn't there another fundie here trying to adopt 4 embryos like a lord and savior?

I know a couple who used embryo adoption, and they did it because cost is a lot less than traditional IVF, but there aren't the risks of adoption, like a birth parent changing their mind years later and taking the kid back. And it happens. A single technicality, and the kid you've raised for years is gone.

The process to adopt embryos is extensive. I wonder how far before infertile fundy couples are pushed to start having the woman's body used as a tool to "save" the embryos.

Wasn't there another fundie here trying to adopt 4 embryos like a lord and savior?

I know a couple who used embryo adoption, and they did it because cost is a lot less than traditional IVF, but there aren't the risks of adoption, like a birth parent changing their mind years later and taking the kid back. And it happens. A single technicality, and the kid you've raised for years is gone.

The process to adopt embryos is extensive. I wonder how far before infertile fundy couples are pushed to start having the woman's body used as a tool to "save" the embryos.

To the bolded- here's a fundie-lite couple who has done just that: houseofgjertsen.info

There's a lot of heartbreaking moments in this blog. I can't imagine what Abby has gone through.

Yeah, I heard the 'technically it's adultery' explanation once too. But those people ended up weird even for fundies though you'd never know looking at them.

To the bolded- here's a fundie-lite couple who has done just that: houseofgjertsen.info

There's a lot of heartbreaking moments in this blog. I can't imagine what Abby has gone through.

Wow, I just read through that blog. It's almost unbelievable what bad luck they have had.

Archived