IGNORED

Nathan Bedford Forrest honoured at a fundie wedding

FoxyMoxie

A couple of observations:

1. It really is a beautiful log cabin. I'm impressed with the work that they did themselves

2. Wood stove--how much land do they have? Are they doing all the cutting themselves? Is this also how the home is heated?

3. Old fashioned ice box, oil lamps...but a kitchen aid? What's the status of electricity in that home?

4. Sink but, no running water....how does that work? She references how nice it is to have a sink to dump water.

5. Same question regarding bathing/toileting?

6. Laundry is done how?

Again, I really do love the rustic home, but couldn't do without electricity and modern conveniences.

Aargh! My post got eatted!

Long story short, there are pics of her doing laundry in the yard with a wringer washer and a garden hose at her feet. There's another one of laundry hanging near the woodstove to dry.

As for bathing, there's some pictures of her daughter being bathed in an enamel pan on the porch. The word "bathroom" only comes up once in a search of her blog, and that was when they were buying windows for the cabin. I tried searching for "outhouse", but I didn't get any hits.

In other words, although they plan to have one, it doesn't look like they have an indoor bathroom yet. We are experiencing freezing rain today in Nutbag City, let's hear it for indoor plumbing! :dance:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aargh! My post got eatted!

Long story short, there are pics of her doing laundry in the yard with a wringer washer and a garden hose at her feet. There's another one of laundry hanging near the woodstove to dry.

As for bathing, there's some pictures of her daughter being bathed in an enamel pan on the porch. The word "bathroom" only comes up once in a search of her blog, and that was when they were buying windows for the cabin. I tried searching for "outhouse", but I didn't get any hits.

In other words, although they plan to have one, it doesn't look like they have an indoor bathroom yet. We are experiencing freezing rain today in Nutbag City, let's hear it for indoor plumbing! :dance:

I spied bucket toilets in her birthing pictures.

It's a pretty house, and they both seem to be quite talented, but no part of me wants any part of that lifestyle.

A couple of observations:

1. It really is a beautiful log cabin. I'm impressed with the work that they did themselves

2. Wood stove--how much land do they have? Are they doing all the cutting themselves? Is this also how the home is heated?

3. Old fashioned ice box, oil lamps...but a kitchen aid? What's the status of electricity in that home?

4. Sink but, no running water....how does that work? She references how nice it is to have a sink to dump water.

5. Same question regarding bathing/toileting?

6. Laundry is done how?

Again, I really do love the rustic home, but couldn't do without electricity and modern conveniences.

That house is absolutely gorgeous (except for the confederate crap hanging above the couch) and it made me more envious than I usually feel when reading fundie blogs-- how come I can't build a beautiful cabin with a second- story porch next to a lovely swimming hole, and fill it with pretty antiques? But I don't understand the logic behind the lack of modern appliances. They clearly have electricity, and it looks like they had water put in when they got the sink, but they're still using an icebox and kerosene lamps and canning on a wood stove? Is their whole life a reenactment? What the he'll do they do for a living that they can afford all that decor and all those dresses and still have time to build fires and wring laundry all day?

Yeah-- I think this sounds like a big misunderstanding. If I (a mixed raced person from the South) let my kid cut in line anywhere, from Alabama to Alberta to Avignon, I'd apologize to the person being cut in front of. It isn't a matter of skin color, its a matter of manners.

And you know what, people who toss off generalizations such as "The south is pretty awful" often come off as narrow minded bigots who find it convenient to see the word as black and white.

Yes, "the South" has a wagon load of issues.

But there are a lot of good people of all colors, races, ethnicities, religious and sexual persuasions who chose to live in the South and are working to make it a better place.

Its our South too.

Next time you want to say something like "The South is Pretty Awful" or "All Southerners are Racists" or "I condemn those who choose to live in the South," why not think of a few of these Southerners for a change:

Jimmy Carter

John Lewis

Tennessee Williams

Armistead Maupin

Tina Turner

We are more, and always have been more, than Nathan Bedford Forrest.

:clap:

I'm not from the south, but I hate this attitude where some other part of our (frankly pretty homogeneous) nation is made out to be a scary foreign country. My boyfriend and I live in Washington, DC. I've lived in a lot of different places before this but he had only lived in northern cities. And for the first few months he would make a big fuss every time we crossed into VA to do some shopping or whatever. Ooooh, we're in the SOUTH! Do you think we're gonna get shot at? We are three miles from our apartment, dumbass. Reminds me of idiot white people who are terrified of walking into any neighborhood where black people live.

^ Exactly, NachosFlandersStyle.

Why is it OK to assume that every white person (or person who looks white) in the South is racist? Why do we not call that attitude out as bigoted?

And believe me, if anyone ever equates my good manners with subservience, I am calling their old-fashioned narrow minded ass out.

I have quite a few friends and some family members who are reenactors, and I probably give off the tone in the Sarah Jane/Russell/David thread that I disapprove of historical reenacting and to be clear, I truly think it has value as an educational tool and can be a fun hobby. I used to make a bit of extra cash in high school and on summer break at a place that had historical reenactments of farms over various historical periods. I've thought about getting into it again after I moved further south where there are more battlefields, but just haven't found the time. I think the key to doing it right, particularly when one is representing a Confederate or Nazi, is that the person has to be extremely sensitive to modern day attitudes and always be conscious that their costumes can potentially upset people. It's not okay to prance around a hospital *cough* David *cough* or a restaurant in your Confederate outfit, in situations devoid of historical context. That's hurtful to people and can truly be upsetting. I also don't think it's okay to pretend that it's all fun and games when real people were horribly maimed and killed in the situations one is reenacting. I don't think I could ever represent a Confederate due to personal reasons and my time studying slavery, but I do understand that someone has to be the 'bad guy' so to speak in order for the 'battle' to go on. I just object to the romanticism that seems to happen surrounding the Confederacy, when people take their personal involvement to the extreme and lose any sense of why people find it objectionable that you're celebrating a defense of slavery.

As far as racism and the south is concerned, I think some people feel free to be a bit more open with it here, but most southerners are acutely aware of how race is the 'background noise' to living in America, much more so than many people living in more northern areas. That being said, I've heard people from the north say vilely, vilely racist things to me as well, they just tend to be more private about it.

Yeah-- I think this sounds like a big misunderstanding. If I (a mixed raced person from the South) let my kid cut in line anywhere, from Alabama to Alberta to Avignon, I'd apologize to the person being cut in front of. It isn't a matter of skin color, its a matter of manners.

And you know what, people who toss off generalizations such as "The south is pretty awful" often come off as narrow minded bigots who find it convenient to see the word as black and white.

Yes, "the South" has a wagon load of issues.

But there are a lot of good people of all colors, races, ethnicities, religious and sexual persuasions who chose to live in the South and are working to make it a better place.

Its our South too.

Next time you want to say something like "The South is Pretty Awful" or "All Southerners are Racists" or "I condemn those who choose to live in the South," why not think of a few of these Southerners for a change:

Jimmy Carter

John Lewis

Tennessee Williams

Armistead Maupin

Tina Turner

We are more, and always have been more, than Nathan Bedford Forrest.

The kid didn't cut in line. The mom and son were in line ahead of my friend, and the boy ran into the stall instead of waiting for the person in line behind him to go. It's not bad manners at all to rush into the stall when it's your turn. The mom apologized for not letting my friend, who was BEHIND her in the line, go first.

Every area has some people who are exceptions. I'm not going to post disclaimers to make people feel better. RosyDaisy isn't posting disclaimers, and I won't. Not every Nazi was a Nazi by choice. Some were scared teen boys who felt like they had to. Should we start disclaiming that stuff? Giving Nazis the benefit of the doubt? Karl Plagge was in the Nazi army, and he...issued documents to save Jews. There are a lot of examples of Nazis who were more interested in saving people than killing them. We still say the Nazis were bad. Some individuals being good doesn't mean we stop generalizing.

The south has some good people. That doesn't mean it's still not a racist, teabagging red bible-belt place.

The kid didn't cut in line. The mom and son were in line ahead of my friend, and the boy ran into the stall instead of waiting for the person in line behind him to go. It's not bad manners at all to rush into the stall when it's your turn. The mom apologized for not letting my friend, who was BEHIND her in the line, go first.

Every area has some people who are exceptions. I'm not going to post disclaimers to make people feel better. RosyDaisy isn't posting disclaimers, and I won't. Not every Nazi was a Nazi by choice. Some were scared teen boys who felt like they had to. Should we start disclaiming that stuff? Giving Nazis the benefit of the doubt? Karl Plagge was in the Nazi army, and he...issued documents to save Jews. There are a lot of examples of Nazis who were more interested in saving people than killing them. We still say the Nazis were bad. Some individuals being good doesn't mean we stop generalizing.

The south has some good people. That doesn't mean it's still not a racist, teabagging red bible-belt place.

And it doesn't mean you're not full of shit, either.

Wow. I wonder if weddings are common at that house? Maybe I don't want to know how many people would be willing to ignore the historical truth of the man for a picturesque location.

I said around me, which means my town, not the south in general. In Alabama, there is this nice little liberal oasis in the Huntsville/Madison area. This is due to NASA, Redstone Arsenal, and the research parks. So yeah, there are some good places in the south.

Wow. I wonder if weddings are common at that house? Maybe I don't want to know how many people would be willing to ignore the historical truth of the man for a picturesque location.

Or worse, how many people pick that location for a wedding BECAUSE of the history.

"The south has some good people"

Thank you, thanks for throwing us that bone. Thanks for marginalizing those of of who are non-white, non-Christian, non-straight, non-registered Republicans.

Golly, I wish I could live north of the Mason-Dixon line so I could be a "1st-class citizen" like you.

Thank you, thanks for throwing us that bone. Thanks for marginalizing those of of who are non-white, non-Christian, non-straight, non-registered Republicans.

Golly, I wish I could live north of the Mason-Dixon line so I could be a "1st-class citizen" like you.

You mean, instead of having internalized the feeling you deserve being treated like a "3rd class animal"? Way to double down on being an asshole, DGayle.

DGayle, according to the Census, 33.6% of Alabama is non-White.

I'm sure they would be thrilled to to know that you and your friend believe that they were "raised to think of themselves as lower beings."

Your friend, to put it bluntly, as we say in the SOUTH (ohhh, scary!), "lacks home training".

Wooow. I cringed my way through those photographs. It takes a special kind of tone deafness to get married and hold a joyful celebration in front of the boyhood home of the perpetrator of the Fort Pillow Massacre. What sort of scary, racist echo chamber life do you have to live to think this man is worthy of any sort of admiration?

I wonder if, in a private moment when planning the wedding, the engaged couple had a sad because they couldn't put slaves on their registry.

I wonder if, in a private moment when planning the wedding, the engaged couple had a sad because they couldn't put slaves on their registry.

:clap:

And everyone knows that the soldiers all took time off to go to one another's weddings. In war. Like you do. :shifty-kitty:

You comparing the south to Nazis is...well, stupid.

I grew up in Texas, lived for 10 years in NC. Does the south have some sucky aspects? Yes, it does...but to generalize it as some racist teabagger hell hole is beyond ridiculous. It is quite ignorant, too.

:music-tool:

i LOVE cracked. they do a great job of documenting the absurd while calling it out on its shit.

I LOVE the caption on the Chinese Nazi wedding photo...It has a certain ge no cide quoi. OMG. I laughed harder at that than I should have, I think.

To be clear as to my original comment: I have no problem with historical reenactment of any sort. I think it's a great tool/hobby/occupation, and I've enjoyed taking part in it! But as for their wedding, I guess I find it a little unsettling that someone would take such a personal, once-in-a-lifetime event and turn it into a historical reenactment. I mean, maybe include various elements of it in the event, but they went balls to the wall, and it seems so...theatrical. It's all fun and grand, but we're not ACTUALLY living in that time period...can we not embrace the present to an extent? Just my opinion, people can do whatever they please, of course! But when you add it to the context of fundie-ism, AND the overt nods to the slave-owning confederacy and Nathan Bedford Forrest...it's just over the line, in my mind.

as

The Mason Dixon was simply a survey that was performed in the 18th century to resolve a property dispute between the Calvert and the Penn families, proprietors of the colonies of Maryland and Pennsylvania respectively (Delaware wasn't a separate colony, it was part of Pennsylvania until 1776. It was called "The Lower Three Counties on the Delaware". There is a holiday called Separation Day to commemorate the event). My Mother has at least one of the markers on her property, which is on the Delaware/Maryland line.

Just in case people were searching for her house on the blog:

storyofaseamstress.blogspot.com/2014/05/house-tour.html

Do those "banners" look like thong underwear to anyone else? Or do I just have a dirty mind?

Just in case people were searching for her house on the blog:

storyofaseamstress.blogspot.com/2014/05/house-tour.html

Do those "banners" look like thong underwear to anyone else? Or do I just have a dirty mind?

Banners definitely look like thongs.

I love her post about experiencing the modern marvel of the sink. Are there people in the U.S. who have not experienced sink usage?

I have to post about this post:

A friend of mine was in Alabama a few weeks ago, and she can't get over what happened when she went to a gas station bathroom, a black woman with a small son were ahead of her, and the black boy ran into the stall since he had to go really bad. And he was ahead of her, so it was his turn. The mom turned to my friend and was really embarrassed and apologized that his son went ahead of her. My friend said she told the woman it's all right, he's a kid, and they were there first, and the woman looked at her like she grew a few heads. That was just the 1st time she described about how it really hit her how much non-whites are treated like 3rd class animals. She's still upset by how much it's accepted by them since it means they've been raised to think of themselves as lower beings.

I think a lot of y'all are misreading what she said. A white woman went into a restroom. A black woman and her son were IN FRONT OF the white woman in line. When the son's turn came he ran into the open stall. The mom apologized to to the woman who was BEHIND HER in line.

What the OP is saying is that it's sad that the black woman felt she had to apologize to a white woman for taking her (the black woman's) turn. Like the white woman should have been mad. The white woman WAS NOT mad because it wasn't her turn.

ETA: I have no idea if this even actually happened or not, and I, of course, don't know why the black woman apologized. I hope it wasn't because she was expecting racism, but I can't really say that I'd blame her if she did. It seems like racism isn't actually going away like we all home. Too many non-whites have been killed by whites lately for me to think that people of color may feel the need to apologize for their skin tone. It seems like a lot of people still thing black = bad.

I hope none of this comes across as racist. I truly don't want to be. I just think it's not fair to jump on the poster who originally posted the story, because she's telling the story second hand, and can't really know if her friend exaggerated or not. I will also say though, that saying that all, or even "the vast majority" of the South is racist is disgusting. That's just not true. There is racism everywhere, but I think we sort of expect it from the South and that's where the generalization comes from?

That house is absolutely gorgeous (except for the confederate crap hanging above the couch) and it made me more envious than I usually feel when reading fundie blogs-- how come I can't build a beautiful cabin with a second- story porch next to a lovely swimming hole, and fill it with pretty antiques? But I don't understand the logic behind the lack of modern appliances. They clearly have electricity, and it looks like they had water put in when they got the sink, but they're still using an icebox and kerosene lamps and canning on a wood stove? Is their whole life a reenactment? What the he'll do they do for a living that they can afford all that decor and all those dresses and still have time to build fires and wring laundry all day?

I think you hit the nail on the head with the bolded. Their entire lives are just one big reenactment. I'm jealous of their house, and a bit jealous of their lifestyle (not the no running water /indoor bathroom /electricity part though). I did find it weirdly romantic that he built a house for her, but other than those small things they kinda creep me out a bit.

Archived