IGNORED

New special: Escaping Polygamy

A two hour documentary on Tuesday 12/30 at 9pm on lifetime movie network. Saw a commercial for it tonight. Three sisters from the Kingston Clan (a very private and abusive sect) who left and are trying to help others leave.

mylifetime.com/movies/escaping-polygamy

A two hour documentary on Tuesday 12/30 at 9pm on lifetime movie network. Saw a commercial for it tonight. Three sisters from the Kingston Clan (a very private and abusive sect) who left and are trying to help others leave.

mylifetime.com/movies/escaping-polygamy

I don't know anything about this clan. Thank you for posting the info!

The anti-polygamy girl who has appeared on Sister Wives, Kollene Snow, is from there. More info here:

sisterwivesblog.blogspot.com/2013/09/kokos-view-after-watching-unlv-panel.html?m=1

wikipedia.org/wiki/Latter_Day_Church_of_Christ

To give you an example, I just read an article that started off like this:

SALT LAKE CITY — Jeremy Ortell Kingston, a member of a Utah polygamous clan that has its own church, pleaded guilty to incest with LuAnn Kingston, who is both his aunt and cousin and was 15 when he took her as his fourth wife.

The Kingston clan is utahs form of organized crime. They own many businesses, pay their members in a currency that can only, be used in Kingston businesses. They use child labor and often put them in dangerous situations.

Some of their children are lucky and get to go to college but, I am not certain of that number.

~1998 this group was featured along with Harmston clan from Manti, UT on A&E. I got a very, very sinister vibe from the Kingstons. One of the wives said it takes a more of a strong willed woman to live in a plural marriage. WTF???

Thank you for posting about this - I studied this group briefly in my undergrad and I'm happy to hear that some members are getting out. I'll be sure to check it out.

Thanks! Will add to the DVR!

~1998 this group was featured along with Harmston clan from Manti, UT on A&E. I got a very, very sinister vibe from the Kingstons. One of the wives said it takes a more of a strong willed woman to live in a plural marriage. WTF???

I can kind of see why they would say that, in that it seems like a much harder life in many ways than normal married life. And, of course, seeing as they believe it's the right thing to do, they think you need to find a way to be strong in order to live that life (rather than seeing it the way a more reasonable person would and realizing that it is difficult and miserable because it ISN'T the way one is supposed to live).

The Principle: Politics r Us has the bios up of the women featured:

politicsrusprinciple.tumblr.com/post/106540923643/escaping-polygamy-leah-georgina-taylor-and

I'm trying to figure out how someone can be your aunt and your cousin at the same time, while still being (presumably) younger than you. My brain is hurting.

I'm trying to figure out how someone can be your aunt and your cousin at the same time, while still being (presumably) younger than you. My brain is hurting.

Let's see... if half siblings married then their kids would be siblings and cousins. And then if one of the sons married his mom....no no no

How about if a man (A) married his moms sister (B), who is his aunt, but the wife (still B) is also the child of the husbands (A) fathers brother so then A and B would be cousins as well?

My sister's kids have aunts and uncles who are years younger. Her husband's parents just kept having kids. I totally agree, it's headache-inducing.

Add in the possibility for these cult polygamy families to be related as cousins, second-cousins etc. etc. by being around the same few families forever and it's possible but horrible to contemplate. "The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard." David Gerrold

Conversations like this always remind me of the movie Rango.

[dir=rtl][/dir]

There's a family tree diagram on one of their Wikipedia pages that only makes it more confusing. I've read about these folks before and spent way too much time trying to figure it out.

While we're on the subject, there's a fantastic documentary about teenagers leaving the FLDS on Netflix called Sons of Perdition. It really shows how the lifestyle robs people of adult living skills and causes long-term psychological damage-- not a feel-good movie, but worth checking out.

The scenes with Leah the escapee were totally fake. This chick has a two year old child and has a blog up where she has almost nude pics and says she's s bisexual. The scene with her trying on clothes and saying she can't wear anything short or skimpy had me rolling my eyes.

On the other hand, the scenes with the mom contemplating escape seemed realistic. I could see her really living in that apartment.

Then I got confused again because isn't she supposed to wear temple garments under her clothes? She clearly wasn't. And all the various wedding pics we saw - some while they were still in the group - strapless gowns?

Kollene Snow was at the wedding, too.

The show was interesting but as NotALoserLikeYou said, the "re-enactment" scenes made things confusing for some of us who follow these stories. Leah's story has been out there before so when they showed her "escaping" it was strange (the "setup" scene was ridiculous) but the part with the mother was interesting. I'm curious about her story. I also gave the wedding photos a bit of a side-eye. I wonder if they are planning an update.

By the way -- I'm really glad I read the RS article before I watched this special - it really helped give me a better understanding of the workings of this group. I'd heard about it before but I don't think I realized how integrated into SLC daily life they are - so interesting.

Then I got confused again because isn't she supposed to wear temple garments under her clothes? She clearly wasn't. And all the various wedding pics we saw - some while they were still in the group - strapless gowns?

Kollene Snow was at the wedding, too.

In the mainline LDS church, you get garments after you go through the temple and are endowed. I don't know if the Kingstons have a temple or endowment house or if they even practice wearing garments.

Archived