IGNORED

Jehovah's Witness leader: God hates tight pants

Coldwinterskies

Sounds like you were raised Adventist, as those are things I struggle with as well, along with:

1. Wearing jewelry

2. Watching tv on Saturday

3. Not reason my bible every day

4. Going out to eat on Saturday

5. Dancing. I still have not learned how to dance because I get so nervous and I can't find the beat or rhythm or whatever the hell people are talking about.

6. Dressing to express myself

I'm sure there are more, but I have to go so stuff now and hope grandmas not too pissed at me for skipping church.

I was IFB with Bill Gothard thrown in for fun.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always been fascinated how Michael Jackson and Selena were raised JW, given how this group seems to be totally against the arts. You never hear about JWs creating great works of art or music or even aesthetically pleasing functional wares, like the Shakers or the Amish. The Kingdom Hall buildings are designed to be as dull or uninspiring as possible, I guess because a beautiful house of worship would be "worldly" or "popish." I went on YouTube to look up JW hymns and they were all devoid of artistic content as far as I could tell.

Hell yes on the artistic void in the JW world. I think the JW hymn "Listen, Obey and Be Blessed" is fucking creepy. It is literally just some brainwashing set to a simple ditty (essentially telling their followers to just obey without questioning).

I think the reason it is like that is because the JWs feel that the world is ending ANY DAY NOW so spending time on anything artistic is just a waste of time. After all, any time spent on art is time you could be spending on preaching so that more people will be saved when Jehovah slaughters anyone who isn't JW. Who has time for art when you could be "saving lives"?

It would definitely be interesting to know how Selena and MJ managed to avoid that. I also wonder about the Williams sisters, since organized sports and other such outside activities are considered "worldly" (but in reality I think the problem is that if you make friends with normal people on a sports team you are less susceptible to the JW brainwashing). I strongly suspect that the Williams sisters don't really buy into it even though they aren't ready to say they don't believe in it at all.

It is still hard for me to go buy a bottle of wine without having feelings of guilt and "I hope nobody sees me." thoughts going through my head. Wine was an evil drink and I had made a covenant with God that I would never let alcohol touch my lips and even though I no longer believe all that, the feelings are still there. It took me till I was in my 30's before I could actually even try alcohol even though I really wanted to do so before then.

It took a long time before I could do something as simple as going to a movie theater without feeling guilty and looking around hoping nobody saw me.

The first time I bought shorts that did not come practically to my knees it took me awhile to finally get up the nerve to wear them out in public. And the whole time I felt really weird and like I was doing something wrong.

That is sad. I give you credit for being able to see through the brainwashing enough to get out of that situation to begin with even though the experience did leave scars.

I used to have the attitude "Well, it's their choice to follow those beliefs." but now I see how psychological control can make it very hard to abandon damaging beliefs even if there is no rational basis to hold on. I think that society in general doesn't yet recognize how deep brainwashing can go and how many religious groups use culty forms of control.

I am glad that it sounds like things are getting better for you with time though. :)

Hell yes on the artistic void in the JW world. I think the JW hymn "Listen, Obey and Be Blessed" is fucking creepy. It is literally just some brainwashing set to a simple ditty (essentially telling their followers to just obey without questioning).

I think the reason it is like that is because the JWs feel that the world is ending ANY DAY NOW so spending time on anything artistic is just a waste of time. After all, any time spent on art is time you could be spending on preaching so that more people will be saved when Jehovah slaughters anyone who isn't JW. Who has time for art when you could be "saving lives"?

It would definitely be interesting to know how Selena and MJ managed to avoid that. I also wonder about the Williams sisters, since organized sports and other such outside activities are considered "worldly" (but in reality I think the problem is that if you make friends with normal people on a sports team you are less susceptible to the JW brainwashing). I strongly suspect that the Williams sisters don't really buy into it even though they aren't ready to say they don't believe in it at all.

In the case of MJ, his mother didn't become a JW until 1963 and it doesn't seem like Joe Jackson was ever one, though he probably dabbled in it to keep Katherine happy. MJ mentioned that he got very conflicting messages growing up, because he and his siblings would be JWs when they were home with their mother and then be exposed to liquor, strippers, gambling, etc. when the Jackson 5 were out on the road. Perhaps Katherine was told that if she was a good influence that Joe would eventually convert and be a good JW, even though he was exposing the children to the worldiest sort of worldliness.

I am no longer a practicing JW. Its hard to leave the religion. I was/am a 4th generation JW. In my area, you just have to mention my grandparents and my fathers names, people instantly know them...it's THAT big of a deal.

I left because my ex-husband left me and hooked up with another woman. No one in his congregation batted an eye. He lied, say I had a boyfriend, which I didn't, and left. He hooked up with a girl and married her the day after our divorce was finalize...and she was 3 months pregnant at the time. But I was the horrible bitch that had a "boyfriend".

I will never set foot in a kingdom hall ever again. I started going to a Baptist church with my BF. I have learned that I can accept God's Grace and there are good people of every religion and good people that don't believe in God...and that's ok. I view myself as a Christian. I don't have all the answers. I know what I believe brings me peace...it helps me sleep better at night.

I believe the JW's have it wrong. I believe they are a cult.

I am no longer a practicing JW. Its hard to leave the religion. I was/am a 4th generation JW. In my area, you just have to mention my grandparents and my fathers names, people instantly know them...it's THAT big of a deal.

It must have been hard for you to leave with so many of your family members in with how there is so much pressure to shun people who decide to leave. :( I am sorry that you had such a bad experience with the congregation turning against you.

I definitely agree with you that the JWs are a cult and I am glad that you were able to break free. All the best to you in recovering from the emotional scars that this type of controlling religion leaves on people.

Archived