IGNORED

Thanks for the 3,000 mile drive. Here's some canned salmon

denimjumper

My parents eat canned salmon, and they don't have the decency to wait till I leave the house. (I only visit once a year) it just smells SO BAD. I literally have 3 Incense sticks burning, shut myself up in my room, and if I have to leave the room for any reason, I wear one of those dust masks that strap on your face. That shit is VILE.

In my pre-vegetarian days I made a mean salmon croquette using canned red salmon. Rotelle for starch and canned tomatoes out of the can. Mmmmm...

I can't snark on canned salmon.

I can only hope he meant smoked, not canned. Although as someone who has caught a 26lb salmon in Alaska at the beginning of a week-long business trip, there aren't a lot of options in getting it home "fresh". You have to either get it smoked or canned or pay a boatload of money to have it shipped overnight on dry ice. So even if they caught the fish themselves, it would have needed to be dealt with quickly, so maybe they paid to have it canned.

I think some of that is location as well. If you caught it somewhere near anchorage, it wouldn't cost "boatloads" to ship, unless you are paying some tourist outfit. I've shipped fish. It's a pain to do it yourself, but it's a lot cheaper.

I think some of that is location as well. If you caught it somewhere near anchorage, it wouldn't cost "boatloads" to ship, unless you are paying some tourist outfit. I've shipped fish. It's a pain to do it yourself, but it's a lot cheaper.

I caught mine in Juneau with some locals (my clients) on their own boat. They lived there, so pointed me to the best options in Juneau. Even shipped overnight, I would have had to coordinate someone to pick it up at SeaTac which is a huge PIA, so I just finally left it with a nice hotel employee since I wasn't going home for over a week. And I did think $75 was a boatload to fly it home to Seattle, yes.

I caught mine in Juneau with some locals (my clients) on their own boat. They lived there, so pointed me to the best options in Juneau. Even shipped overnight, I would have had to coordinate someone to pick it up at SeaTac which is a huge PIA, so I just finally left it with a nice hotel employee since I wasn't going home for over a week. And I did think $75 was a boatload to fly it home to Seattle, yes.

Yeah, everything is expensive in southeast Alaska, imo. Pretty, but expensive.

I hope you had a good time fishing, even if you couldn't take it with you.

My parents eat canned salmon, and they don't have the decency to wait till I leave the house. (I only visit once a year) it just smells SO BAD. I literally have 3 Incense sticks burning, shut myself up in my room, and if I have to leave the room for any reason, I wear one of those dust masks that strap on your face. That shit is VILE.

It's food. Lots of people survive on it. I actually heard someone on the radio talking about our close, personal relationship with salmon the other day. It sounded exactly like a Christian ad, except he was talking about fish. I laughed.

It drives the economy in various places in my state. Personally, I think incense smells much worse than salmon, but to each their own.

Yeah, everything is expensive in southeast Alaska, imo. Pretty, but expensive.

I hope you had a good time fishing, even if you couldn't take it with you.

Yes, Alaska is beautiful, and I was fortunate for several years to travel there a couple of times a year (many of my clients were the ANCs). Juneau, Anchorage, Kenai Peninsula, and the inside passage (or most of it) but via plane, not cruise ship. Salmon fishing was so "easy" -- the waters there are abundant! But for some reason, my employer wouldn't let me expense flying my fish home -- LOL. Not in the scope of my job, I'm afraid! Catching it was a fun experience, though, surely!

First, I love canned salmon. I can it fresh usually at The Russian and add jalepenos, it's yummy.

Second, the first thought I had about an Alaska courtship was The Buckingham/Hale clan. They are a bit high profile and The Buckinghams are more mainstream fundie and not crazy fundie like the Hales were.

If I were John David (or any of them actually), I'd be all over any excuse that got me the hell out of Dodge. Helping someone move, babysitting - just GET ME OUT!

Derick sure seems to get a lot of time off from his job, unless that was done on a weekend and presuming he works regular office hours.

The Alaska trip was JD Duggar and Derrick WALLER, not derickdillard.

Blech, agreed... its worse than cat food. Vile scent aside, what a weird present.

The Alaska trip was JD Duggar and Derrick WALLER, not derickdillard.

If JD spends much time with Derrick Waller, maybe he has a special friendship with a Sarah or Lydia Waller. But it looks like Derrick is the Waller family bus driver, similar to John David, so maybe that's all it is.

Blech, agreed... its worse than cat food. Vile scent aside, what a weird present.

I would happily and gratefully accept a gift of canned salmon. Love the stuff, and a tuna fish sized can of red salmon is 7 dollars by me. Salmon salad and salmon patties. Yummy. :D

I would happily and gratefully accept a gift of canned salmon. Love the stuff, and a tuna fish sized can of red salmon is 7 dollars by me. Salmon salad and salmon patties. Yummy. :D

If you PM me an address I can stick a can in the mail for you. It's from 2013, but the can I opened tonight from that batch was fine. Also, offer applies only to US residents.

Archived