IGNORED

Thanks for the 3,000 mile drive. Here's some canned salmon

denimjumper

This one made me chuckle out loud. From Dave and Pris's blog:

"Along with sparkling apple juice, the hors d’oeuvres were nothing less than crackers with some incredible red salmon and cream cheese spread. Derrick and John David Duggar had gone to Alaska to help a family with a move. They took turns driving over 3,000 miles from Alaska to California. The family was so grateful for the help and gave them the canned salmon."

From the post "Family Time in the North Woods"

"Along with sparkling apple juice, the hors d’oeuvres were nothing less than crackers with some incredible red salmon and cream cheese spread.

OK, was this meant to be snarky on David's part? Or is it just his writing style that makes it come across that way. (Somehow, nothing less than crackers is making me laugh)

Just a wild thought, but, unless they wanted to take the trip anyway, wouldn't it have been much more economical (or frugal in fundie-speak) to donate some money so that the family could hire some movers instead of having all the expenses of such a long trip? I mean, having to travel from Arkansas to Alaska and then back from California to Arkansas doesn't come cheap. But, oh well, basic logic was never a forte of the fundies.

Just a wild thought, but, unless they wanted to take the trip anyway, wouldn't it have been much more economical (or frugal in fundie-speak) to donate some money so that the family could hire some movers instead of having all the expenses of such a long trip? I mean, having to travel from Arkansas to Alaska and then back from California to Arkansas doesn't come cheap. But, oh well, basic logic was never a forte of the fundies.

This is exactly what I was going to say. We had to hire some movers to get our stuff up a few flights of stairs, and it was $400. That's a lot of money in much of Alaska. If the boys drive 6k roundtrip, they need to have spent no more than 6 cents per mile for gas. Let's go on the cheap end for gas at $3. That would mean they need to have gotten 50 miles per gallon, and not stayed at hotels. Otherwise this wasn't economical unless they were already going for a visit.

Not to encourage or invite rampant speculation, but whenever these people are courting or pre-courting someone in another state, they start to make these oddly explained trips.

Josh was always going to "look at cars" in Florida. Really? For your price-range, you're going to SHIP/DRIVE a car from FL and sell it at a profit? Are they out of cars in Arkansas?

Alyssa went to Florida to help on her now FIL's campaign. Really? You needed the help of an untrained and inexperienced teenager on your campaign? Were you THAT short on volunteers?

Michael went to help care for Brandon's family. Again, she's great but, there's no one local? Why have someone come in from states away and only for a month?

Basically, they take these trips that have nominal explanations, but there's really the ulterior motive of "getting to know" someone that will be around. This trip doesn't make sense, so I'm wondering if there was ANOTHER motive for this journey.

Not to encourage or invite rampant speculation, but whenever these people are courting or pre-courting someone in another state, they start to make these oddly explained trips.

Josh was always going to "look at cars" in Florida. Really? For your price-range, you're going to SHIP/DRIVE a car from FL and sell it at a profit? Are they out of cars in Arkansas?

Alyssa went to Florida to help on her now FIL's campaign. Really? You needed the help of an untrained and inexperienced teenager on your campaign? Were you THAT short on volunteers?

Michael went to help care for Brandon's family. Again, she's great but, there's no one local? Why have someone come in from states away and only for a month?

Basically, they take these trips that have nominal explanations, but there's really the ulterior motive of "getting to know" someone that will be around. This trip doesn't make sense, so I'm wondering if there was ANOTHER motive for this journey.

I think you could be right. Cause even if they didn't have the money to hire professional movers, they couldn't be that desperate to ask two men to travel from Arkansas just to help them move, I mean, they surely have some fundie friends or family who could have helped them, or, if not, they could have hired some local young guys who were looking for an adventure for a few bucks.

Derick sure seems to get a lot of time off from his job, unless that was done on a weekend and presuming he works regular office hours.

Link please. Who are David and Pris?

david waller aka the gay pecan thief :P he married priscilla keller, anna's older sister. i think their website is davidlovespriscilla.com or some other inane fundie couple bullshit.

If I were John David Duggar, I'd want to court an Alaskan fundie, marry her, and never return to the lower 48! :D

I really do hope he is courting someone up there.

I haven't heard any Duggar-courtship rumors up here. Though Jim Bob and Michelle are coming up in February for the Alaska Right to Life convention.

The salmon stuff made me giggle though. Canned salmon isn't anything to get excited about. Now smoked salmon? People get pretty stoked about that. And smoked salmon is what likely would have been in that dip. Not that it matters, I'm just assuming David is actually talking about smoked. Anyway, no one's driving to Alaska for some free smoked salmon. More to this story.

Maybe this is why Jana seems to be spending time off and on with Josh and Anna in DC. Perhaps she has a "special friend" there. Who better to play chaperone than big brother Josh. This is just theory and speculation on my part. I have nothing to back up my opinion.

If I were John David Duggar, I'd want to court an Alaskan fundie, marry her, and never return to the lower 48! :D

I really do hope he is courting someone up there.

Hopefully not a Palin. Two families I despise.

Derick sure seems to get a lot of time off from his job, unless that was done on a weekend and presuming he works regular office hours.

The trip was some months ago and I believe at the time it was said that it was a cousin Derick not Derick Dillard.

david waller aka the gay pecan thief :P he married priscilla keller, anna's older sister. i think their website is davidlovespriscilla.com or some other inane fundie couple bullshit.[/quote]

I LOL'd at this one enough to make a couple of my coworkers jump.

It's always something inane as 'boylovesgirl.com" isn't it.

The trip was some months ago and I believe at the time it was said that it was a cousin Derick not Derick Dillard.

Ah. That makes a lot more sense. I can't really see Derick Dillard chilling with John David.

It is a shame that they didn't take a wrong turn and "accidentally" leave David on Castro Street.

Hopefully not a Palin. Two families I despise.

I'd watch that shit show! Bring on the popcorn.

By the way, I'm new (but been lurking for years). Is there a more efficient way of quoting people than using the

tag?

Did you click the quote button on the top right? That should take you to a reply with the quote already formatted correctly.

I can only hope he meant smoked, not canned. Although as someone who has caught a 26lb salmon in Alaska at the beginning of a week-long business trip, there aren't a lot of options in getting it home "fresh". You have to either get it smoked or canned or pay a boatload of money to have it shipped overnight on dry ice. So even if they caught the fish themselves, it would have needed to be dealt with quickly, so maybe they paid to have it canned.

Archived