IGNORED

Is something wrong with Erin Bates?

808s&Heartbreak

I work in healthcare and now that I think about it I am almost positive that I use a shit ton more inflection in my voice at work (especially with patients) than I do outside of work. I think it makes people feel more comfortable and they perceive me as more caring, although I never really thought about why I have done that before now. I guess it is something that I have adopted as part of my work persona over time. I also am a pretend extrovert at work, when at home I am an extreme introvert with a dry as dust sense of humor.

I figure in almost any job there is a little bit of acting involved. We are all pretending to be appropriate adults.

I literally cannot hear vocal fry. I've read about it, watched numerous vidoeos, and cannot for the life of me pick it out. Guess I'll consider myself lucky since half the internets have bitched about how annoying it is!

Yeah, I think I'm missing something about vocal fry too.

I mean, I can hear it when it's pointed out, but it seems like people do it ALL THE TIME, even in professional contexts, so I'm not sure what the big fuss is. I swear this woman is using the vocal fry unironically in some instances during this video, even as she goes into the vocal fry specifically to make fun of it in other instances:

[bBvideo 560,340:ys5fnmll]

[/bBvideo]

Am I totally off-base?

After watching the video I finally understand what it is. I don't think we really have that over here in Australia, but I could be wrong. I have definitely heard it on TV, though no specific exampIe comes to mind. Agree with the girl in the video though, it makes the person speaking sound world weary - even apathetic.

Wow, I had never heard of vocal fry. Then again, I have never watched any of the reality shows where it evidently predominates. I was born and raised about as far down South as it is possible to be (Alabama Gulf Coast area). I have a pronounced Southern accent. It is a fact. It is not going anywhere, despite college education and exposure to other accents. I took two semesters of Russian, and the instructor nearly peed himself laughing over my Southern accent while trying to speak Russian.

I am a nurse, and for the past few years worked on a Nurse Call line. I found that if a caller was from the South, I could place their accent pretty accurately. As little as thirty geographical miles had a corresponding variation of accent. We moved to central Wyoming a few years ago, and suddenly we were superstars. Or a strange new exotic species. People were fascinated by the accent. And then they ask, "what do we sound like, to you?" And the answer is, truthfully, they have no accent. To my ear, they sound just like me. People from neighboring states have a noticeable accent, but not them. Someone once suggested that television news announcers cultivated a MidWest accent because of the neutrality of the accent (or the lack thereof, I guess). Learn something everyday, I guess.

ha! I love Faith Salie. I've only heard her on NPR and a quirky show called Fair Game she used to do, it was hilarious. I never knew what she looked like though. :D Every time she's on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me i freak out.

I work in healthcare and now that I think about it I am almost positive that I use a shit ton more inflection in my voice at work (especially with patients) than I do outside of work. I think it makes people feel more comfortable and they perceive me as more caring, although I never really thought about why I have done that before now. I guess it is something that I have adopted as part of my work persona over time. I also am a pretend extrovert at work, when at home I am an extreme introvert with a dry as dust sense of humor.

I figure in almost any job there is a little bit of acting involved. We are all pretending to be appropriate adults.

Love the last line (can't bold it for some reason). I'm alomost 40 and am still sometimes pleasantly surprised when people do things I tell them to do.

Yes, indeedy. I certainly inferred that the original poster was implying that strong Appalachian accent=mentally challenged.

Bless Her Heart.

I kind of feel the need to defend the OP. Though I don't know their intentions, I didn't think they were implying anything like that - at least, I certainly hope not. I read it as being along the lines of the Priscilla threads. I may be naive but I didn't infer anything negative about any specific region and associated intelligence levels in the OP, though it should have been worded differently, especially if Erin does have a speech or mental problem.

I generally don't comment on others' voices/speech because I see it like any other physical characteristic - most times, you can't help what you have. I've also dropped off threads when I felt like I was being personally attacked - like the time someone disagreed with my opinion and told me my thinking was f*cked up. I wasn't going to waste time continuing on that path. However, if the OP really didn't have negative intentions, they could have very easily posted an apology/clarification.

Didn't they subtitle some of the Bates sometimes on 19 Kids? That accent is tough.

In her hair video, you can see she thinks "hair" has two syllables and call oil "ull" but she sounds fine other than her accent. At least she isn't babytalking like J'Chelle and Anna. That's WAY worse and drives me insane.

The original vocal fry: Which I recall first hearing IRL from recent fresh out of college upper middle-class college graduates from the West Coast about 15 (?) years ago. Also, to my ear, oddly, common to the older, life time smoker, factory workers who were my grandmas friends.

post-1724-14451999770511_thumb.jpg

I kind of feel the need to defend the OP. Though I don't know their intentions, I didn't think they were implying anything like that - at least, I certainly hope not. I read it as being along the lines of the Priscilla threads. I may be naive but I didn't infer anything negative about any specific region and associated intelligence levels in the OP, though it should have been worded differently, especially if Erin does have a speech or mental problem.

I generally don't comment on others' voices/speech because I see it like any other physical characteristic - most times, you can't help what you have. I've also dropped off threads when I felt like I was being personally attacked - like the time someone disagreed with my opinion and told me my thinking was f*cked up. I wasn't going to waste time continuing on that path. However, if the OP really didn't have negative intentions, they could have very easily posted an apology/clarification.

Your last sentence was pretty much why I posted my comment. The threads on GirlPecan talk about a variety of things - her speech pattern, her focus when talking, affect, the content of her speech, what BoyPecan is doing to her, why she can sometimes seem normal when Davida is not around. If you are going to post something like this, you need to come back and defend yourself and your position. The poster has a couple other posts on the mental acumen of various Duggars as well. Seems to be a theme.

Your last sentence was pretty much why I posted my comment. The threads on GirlPecan talk about a variety of things - her speech pattern, her focus when talking, affect, the content of her speech, what BoyPecan is doing to her, why she can sometimes seem normal when Davida is not around. If you are going to post something like this, you need to come back and defend yourself and your position. The poster has a couple other posts on the mental acumen of various Duggars as well. Seems to be a theme.

Interesting... didn't know about the other posts she made. That's puts things in perspective. Will I ever learn that I shouldn't always give people the benefit of doubt?

And when she realized people were offended, it would have been easy to come back and clarify it.

She was a "drive-by." The person made seven posts all of them as new threads and then disappeared.

She was a "drive-by." The person made seven posts all of them as new threads and then disappeared.

Okay, I was prepared to defend her, but this ^^ changes things. What I was about to say, though, is that frequently I'll post a comment on a thread and then lose interest in it. There's only so much time in the day to devote to snark, and there's always some fresh bit of snark fodder, so I have very likely offended dozens of FJers without noticing, let alone come back to clarify/defend myself/dig a deeper hole. And if that's the case, I apologize to those whom I have hurt but I'm not going to change my reading habits.

Posting a comment and then drifting away is one thing. Starting a thread and disappearing is another.

Whatever the OP's plan when starting this thread, I would like to thank everyone for introducing me to the Vocal Fry. Finally, I have a name for why Kardashian voices (and others) annoy me! :lol: :D

Archived