IGNORED

Polygamy at heart of custody dispute

Even when I was a strict Christian I believed polygamy should be legal. I think the things that bother me about FLDS polygamy have less to do with polygamy itself and more so to do with other aspects, such as forced child marriages.

I've read the Brown's book... Couldn't make myself finish it because I found it rather boring, but I didn't read anything to indicate that any wife was dissatisfied with the situation. Yes, I know that might not mean much, but there it is, for what it's worth.

I actually have a friend that had an order like that. Her son is 12 now, and they had a 10 year custody battle with police called on both sides, false cps reports filed by the father, and several kidnapping attempts before he lost parental rights entirely. When they first met, they were both Catholic. One of the first fights was what church to baptize him at, which dad "won" by taking him and refusing to give him back and baptizing him without her. He later converted to mormonism and told the boy that catholics go to hell. Then he tried to block her from having him do his sacraments. At first, they were both forbidden to take him to church or talk to him about religion. Eventually, it was changed to the father wasn't allowed to. It was determined that he was the one using religion as a way to alienate the mother. There is now a restraining order against the father, who is not allowed to contact her or their son in any way. He actually tried to get the lds church to help him with the court battle, but to their credit, they backed off when she sent them copies of their orders and his psych eval. They even rejected him as an elder because of his behavior. There's always two sides to every story. She's who I think of when an MRAsshole talks about getting screwed in a custody case. I take it with a vat of salt.

Archived