IGNORED

Looks like Mark Driscoll may be getting a RICO suit for Xmas

Dark Matters

Scripture twisting from Christian school:

The verse above refers to a gate in the city wall, not a needle, according to a speaker at a staff retreat. Camels fit through that gate really easily, you just had to lift them up to get them to it, so the verse means that Jesus is lifting up the rich people and not the poor people.

"Love your neighbor as yourself". The important part of this verse, a chapel speaker told our students, was the phrase "as yourself". It means that your neighbors are not everyone but, rather, are those people who are most like yourself, thus Jesus is telling us to love other Christians not anyone else.

"Blessed are those who are persecuted...". This one means, an actual book given to junior Bible class students one year claimed, that Christians should seek out persecution in order to be blessed.

I can probably think of more. I have tried to forget, though.

I feel compelled...

[bBvideo 560,340:nx10j4k8]

[/bBvideo]

I live in Fed Way and just paid $360k for a 3 bedroom...but I never attended MH. Maybe they all live in million dollar houses ;)

Yeah, housing out here is expensive, but that stipend has 200K a year allotted for housing - that's $16,666/month for rent or mortgage payment. That is no ordinary house - even for Seattle. I did a quick home mortgage search and the average monthly mortgage on a 2 million dollar home is $12,819 to give some context.

On a somewhat related note, I've long been curious about Mark Driscoll's annual compensation package and found the information below in an on-line article from the Seattle P-I (Post Intelligencer). Full text here.

$500,000 (2013) with raise to $650,000 for 2014

$200,000 housing allowance

$33,000/yr to retirement plan

$13,314 annual medical premium

$4,000 cell phone allowance

$6,000 wellness stipend

:music-tool:

Yeah, housing out here is expensive, but that stipend has 200K a year allotted for housing - that's $16,666/month for rent or mortgage payment. That is no ordinary house - even for Seattle. I did a quick home mortgage search and the average monthly mortgage on a 2 million dollar home is $12,819 to give some context.

He'd be paying property tax on top of the mortgage, though. Over in the gold coast I bet that's a lot.

He'd be paying property tax on top of the mortgage, though. Over in the gold coast I bet that's a lot.

well, even if the taxes aren't covered, he still has his massive salary. so far, taxes are possibly the only "big" thing coming out of it, unless someone can think of something else that wouldn't be covered already by the stipends.

Our property taxes aren't all that high, especially when you consider we don't have a state income tax either. In Washington we prefer to stick it to those least able to pay, with a nearly 10% sales tax (in and around Seattle).

Our property taxes aren't all that high, especially when you consider we don't have a state income tax either. In Washington we prefer to stick it to those least able to pay, with a nearly 10% sales tax (in and around Seattle).

we really don't need any more evidence that driscoll is a tool, but it keeps rolling in anyway :lol:

Scripture twisting from Christian school:

The verse above refers to a gate in the city wall, not a needle, according to a speaker at a staff retreat. Camels fit through that gate really easily, you just had to lift them up to get them to it, so the verse means that Jesus is lifting up the rich people and not the poor people.

"Love your neighbor as yourself". The important part of this verse, a chapel speaker told our students, was the phrase "as yourself". It means that your neighbors are not everyone but, rather, are those people who are most like yourself, thus Jesus is telling us to love other Christians not anyone else.

"Blessed are those who are persecuted...". This one means, an actual book given to junior Bible class students one year claimed, that Christians should seek out persecution in order to be blessed.

I can probably think of more. I have tried to forget, though.

I have not thought of that camel story in forever, but I was taught it refers to a gate in a city wall too. Except I was told camels have to stoop and anything they are carrying with them must be removed first if they want to get through the gate. So people must stoop before God and allow him to remove the baggage of this world before they can get to heaven.

I have not thought of that camel story in forever, but I was taught it refers to a gate in a city wall too. Except I was told camels have to stoop and anything they are carrying with them must be removed first if they want to get through the gate. So people must stoop before God and allow him to remove the baggage of this world before they can get to heaven.

i was taught pretty much the same thing, except for the last part (they kind of trailed off after explaining it, usually).

which is funny, because they'll be all like, "the bible is LITERAL and needs a LITERAL interpretation" and yet present an asinine, non-literal explanation for shit like this. i guess the bible is only literal when they need it to be. :roll:

Don't even get me started on the regressive taxes here.

i was taught pretty much the same thing, except for the last part (they kind of trailed off after explaining it, usually).

which is funny, because they'll be all like, "the bible is LITERAL and needs a LITERAL interpretation" and yet present an asinine, non-literal explanation for shit like this. i guess the bible is only literal when they need it to be. :roll:

So funny we were all hearing the same thing - that's what i heard as a kid in Pentecostal sermons. Then my family switched to Mennonite and they said the gate was made up and didn't even exist. And it really was that difficult to get in. (Mennos love to make heaven seem impossible. lol) Wikepedia says it's a Greek misprint and Jesus said the word for rope. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_a_needle Rope/needle makes sense, but i never heard that 'til just now when i looked up whether the Menno idea of no gate was accurate.

Biblical interpretation - it's like a game of telephone :lol:

BINGO! We have a winner!!

I've heard many variations of the gate story. All of which are designed to say "it really isn't that hard for a rich man to get into heaven, so go ahead and get as much money as you can!". Asked a priest once (since they have to study all the original languages) and he shrugged and said he didn't know off the top of his head what the original language in the passage means, but the point of Jesus' illustration is that we shouldn't be pursuing wealth.

Archived