IGNORED

Did Abigail just show fundie parents how it's done???

Koala

I will be the first to say that Abigail is a bucket full of :cray-cray: :wtf:

but I find one of her recent posts rather refreshing in light of what other fundies (Lori*Cough*Lori) would have done:

Abigail:

My 2 year old daughter cut her hair with scissors this week. She chopped off her bangs super short. I spent a day mourning her former hairstyle and planning on pinning back her bangs with pretty sparkly barrettes for the Christmas season. The next day, I found more brown Shirley Temple curls on the floor. My daughter had found another pair of scissors the old kids had used for paper art and left in the basement. My 2 year old with the painfully slow growing and thin hair clipped off both sides of her head down to the bare skin. "Oh Abby, you cut your hair again!" I said in despair.

My 2 year old put both hands on her hips, cocked her head and proclaimed loudly "It's fine, Mom! It's fine!"

She put me in my place. It is her hair, after all. I started laughing. We were having the "What did you do with your hair teenager stand off 10 years early. I was forced to admit that the weird mullet thing she made was actually a genuine hairstyle in 1980.

Look at that! She recognized her daughter as a person, totally independent from her, and she didn't flip the hell out when the little one got creative with the kiddie scissors. Can you imagine how Lori or Generation Starvation mom would have reacted???

abigails-alcove.blogspot.com/2014/11/counting-my-blessings.html

The whole post is full of fun memories she made with her kids on Thanksgiving. Abigail may get a lot of things wrong, but I really appreciate that she seems to have a respect for her children as individuals.

That's very refreshing to see that she didn't go mad.

Some people get really horrible over their kids doing that. There was an STFU Parents submission about an awful parent who shaved her daughter's hair off because she cut her bangs short, and then posted on Facebook bragging about doing it-complete with picture of crying bald kid.

That's very refreshing to see that she didn't go mad.

Some people get really horrible over their kids doing that. There was an STFU Parents submission about an awful parent who shaved her daughter's hair off because she cut her bangs short, and then posted on Facebook bragging about doing it-complete with picture of crying bald kid.

Omg, I can't imagine.... :evil:

I'm very glad to read that she didn't whip or humiliate her child, and can laugh it off.

Of course, a hair-cutting story makes me think about Lauren, whose assholery is on the "let them run free" end of the spectrum when it comes to things like this (despite her actually being very rigid and controlling in some ways). So what if bangs are very near eyes, and they are running around with the scissors -- it's all sparkling. :roll:

And I would imagine that, if the child of a Pearl fan did such a thing, severe pain and humiliation would ensue -- can you imagine what would happen if one of Jill Rodrigues' daughters chopped off her hair? :cry:

I doubt such children would, though -- by the time they are old enough to hold scissors, they are probably to cowed to even consider such a thing.

Anyway, it's good to hear of Abigail thinking like a normal parent, somewhere in the non-black-and-white middle of the discipline spectrum. I hope she is always like that.

When my girl cut her fringe off (right to the very roots) I cried.

And then I laughed because she looked so flipping ridiculous.

Yeesh, imagine if one of the Maxhell kids did that? There'd be the devil to pay :o

I agree that her reaction is refreshing and commendable, BUT:

Am I seriously the only one who thinks it's HORRIBLE that she let her two-year old (!!!) get her hands on scissors, obviously unsupervised for quite some time, not once but TWICE? I can't believe nobody on here has commented on that. That was literally the first thing that came to my mind when I read the post, not the fact that she reacted nicely.

I once had a boss (male) who had a head of beautiful thick salt-and-pepper gray hair. He went way too long long without a haircut and it was sticking out everywhere. He was, let's say, on the frugal side. So I come into work one morning and my colleague says, "X cut his own hair." And this, before I'd had my coffee.

"No way," I said.

"Way," he said (we were very professional.)

So I go up to his office to check it out and OMG. There was like one strip running from the back of his skull to the front where it was almost shaved -- it looked like he'd used electric clippers with a #2 guard. Then there were just random holes above his ears. His front bangs were still long and sticking out everywhere. I can still see it even though this happened more than 25 years ago. It looked EXACTLY like if a kid had cut their own hair. Only he was a 32-year-old engineer!

Oh and he was so proud! "Look! I cut my hair," he said.

"I see that," I said. Bless his heart.

That was the funniest thing ever. We laughed and laughed.

I agree that her reaction is refreshing and commendable, BUT:

Am I seriously the only one who thinks it's HORRIBLE that she let her two-year old (!!!) get her hands on scissors, obviously unsupervised for quite some time, not once but TWICE? I can't believe nobody on here has commented on that. That was literally the first thing that came to my mind when I read the post, not the fact that she reacted nicely.

The danger of a child that young getting hold of scissors was my first thought as well.

But I figured it was just one of those "a parent can't be everywhere at once" things. She did say that the second time, the kids had left out scissors, which implies to me that putting them out of a little one's reach is what's expected.

The danger of a child that young getting hold of scissors was my first thought as well.

But I figured it was just one of those "a parent can't be everywhere at once" things. She did say that the second time, the kids had left out scissors, which implies to me that putting them out of a little one's reach is what's expected.

Maybe they were kid's scissors. I have a pair of kid safe scissors with a blunt tip (no point) made by Fiskars. They cut paper well and would almost certainly cut hair although my granddaughter has never tried it.

Did any of us who are mothers not have at least one child who cut her (or his) bangs off?

Mine actually did quite a reasonable job of hair cutting. But, I still had the talk about how hard it is to see the back, how it springs up, and how really in the grand scheme of things a chat with a hairdresser is a better way to get the style you want. My problem with Lauren's approach is that she doesn't have that conversation. Pixie cuts are beautiful, but they are difficult.

Maybe they were kid's scissors. I have a pair of kid safe scissors with a blunt tip (no point) made by Fiskars. They cut paper well and would almost certainly cut hair although my granddaughter has never tried it.

Did any of us who are mothers not have at least one child who cut her (or his) bangs off?

I am in the "a parent can't be everywhere at once" camp as well. Two year olds have an uncanny ability to locate items they should not touch. If it were a butcher knife, I would be alarmed, but it sounds like kid scissors put just within her reach the second time.

Her reaction was far better than mine...I would have cried over the loss of those gorgeous curls. However, in the baptism photo, it looks like Abigail evened it out to a (precious) pixie cut. I have seen far worse results on Facebook including comb-overs and buzz cuts on little girls.

Yes and if you homeschool or do a lot of crafts with your kids you seem to have those "kid" scissors everywhere and I think they could cut hair strangely?!

Archived