IGNORED

What's for Dinner- Part the third

keen23

Keen, these are the pasties I grew up with. The person who gave me the recipe didn't give me the pastry recipe-- my apologies! You'll want a savory crust that is fairly flexible.

Pastry sufficient for six 9-inch one-crust pies

1 1/2 lb. beef round steak or sirloin tip (or an equal amount of ground beef, which was what we more commonly had)

6 medium potatoes

4 medium carrots (or an equivalent amount of rutabaga-- the church ladies of my youth had bitter fights about whether to use carrot or rutabaga)

2 c. finely chopped onions

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper (IMO, if you're using carrot, you will need more pepper. Rutabaga adds pepperiness.)

6 Tbsp. butter

Cut vegetables other than onion into 1/4-inch cubes (along with meat, unless you're using ground beef). Mix the meat, vegetables, salt, and pepper in a bowl.

Roll out each pie crust into a 9-inch circle. Keeping one half of each crust empty, because you're going to fold it over, add one sixth of the meat and vegetable mix to each crust. Top the mix with 1 Tbsp. butter. Fold empty half over and pinch edges to seal.

Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 375 for 55 to 60 minutes.

Once they're assembled, they can be frozen in foil for later use, but I do not remember how much time needs to be added to the baking time then. (I can ask my folks, if you are curious.)

Keen, these are the pasties I grew up with. The person who gave me the recipe didn't give me the pastry recipe-- my apologies! You'll want a savory crust that is fairly flexible.

Pastry sufficient for six 9-inch one-crust pies

1 1/2 lb. beef round steak or sirloin tip (or an equal amount of ground beef, which was what we more commonly had)

6 medium potatoes

4 medium carrots (or an equivalent amount of rutabaga-- the church ladies of my youth had bitter fights about whether to use carrot or rutabaga)

2 c. finely chopped onions

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper (IMO, if you're using carrot, you will need more pepper. Rutabaga adds pepperiness.)

6 Tbsp. butter

Cut vegetables other than onion into 1/4-inch cubes (along with meat, unless you're using ground beef). Mix the meat, vegetables, salt, and pepper in a bowl.

Roll out each pie crust into a 9-inch circle. Keeping one half of each crust empty, because you're going to fold it over, add one sixth of the meat and vegetable mix to each crust. Top the mix with 1 Tbsp. butter. Fold empty half over and pinch edges to seal.

Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 375 for 55 to 60 minutes.

Once they're assembled, they can be frozen in foil for later use, but I do not remember how much time needs to be added to the baking time then. (I can ask my folks, if you are curious.)

Rutabaga- never carrots! :D

Well since I have no headship or 85 kids to mix up a quick batch of ttc for, I'm going with Zucchini noodles w/ pesto and a side of brussels sprouts.

Eating out or at other ppl's house most of the times but we got a large bag of frozen jumbo crabs to bring "home". So tonight I made mojito fried crabs with rum, mint, cane sugar and lime. It was crispy, crunchy, tangy, savory and went well with the hot punch. We still have a truckload left. Today it's going to be butter sauteed crabs with herbs and black ink fettuccine and some sauce. I also wanna try a few variations like the Panda Express orange flavored breaded ones.

Had some friends over for dinner tonight. Made three Yotam Ottolenghi dishes-- one out of Plenty (sauteed greens with poached eggs, yogurt, and Aleppo pepper butter sauce) and two out of Jerusalem (broiled eggplant soup with Israeli couscous; spice cookies).

Oldie but goodie in the family repertoire for Sunday dinner: whole chicken cut into pieces and roasted in olive oil, orange juice, and orange and tangerine slices. Seasoned with cumin, coriander and cinnamon. Served over rice and mushrooms with plenty of bread on the side to soak up the sauce.

Valentine's Day, we made a wild greens pie. My first attempt at homemade phyllo was not super-successful. But the filling was great.

Tonight we're going to see Selma, then going out for pizza afterwards.

I salute you in your attempt at homemade phyllo. I tried a few times but my results were less than spectacular. My grandma always asked "How was your state of mind when you were rolling the phyllo?" She, and women in her generation were actually taught that you need a clear, calm mind to make phyllo or your attempt would be unsuccessful. I personally was never able to reach that Zen state for proper dough. :p

If you have access to a Greek grocery/deli/dry goods store, I recommend the brand "Alpha" for rustic phyllo used in wild greens or meat pies. "Krinos" has the best delicate phyllo sheets for cheese pies or baklava.

I did not forage the greens, sadly. It has been so dry this winter that it would have been slim pickings, except for wild fennel. (Which I love, but not a whole pie's worth.)

My state of mind when I was rolling the phyllo involved a lot of "Well, shit. That didn't work" and "Gah! I didn't mean to do that!" So, not Zen at all. Also, I think I either overkneaded it or overfloured it-- it went from sticky to impossible to roll much more quickly than I anticipated-- and used the wrong kind of rolling pin. I do want to try again, now that I have some idea of what I did wrong.

Thank you for the brand recommendations. For previous phyllo items, we've used Fillo Factory's frozen phyllo because it's what our co-op has. It looks as if there's a Greek grocery a few towns over-- once we've replaced the car, getting there will be feasible. I would like to try the good stuff!

Tonight's plan is balilah with feta, tomato, and greens in it. Tahini. Pita.

Borscht soup with sour cream and lots of back pepper. Duck legs with rosemary and whipped mashed potatoes with sweet and sour purple cabbage. (God-delightful, but very acidic!) Also, dark chocolate with black salt. Brand name's "Heidi". This is so far the most delicious dark chocolate I have ever had.

Last night, mushroom pizza. Tonight, The Partner and I are taking my mom (who is visiting) out for vegan soul food. I suspect we'll order the sample platter so she can try a bit of everything, but I am getting an extra order of the black eyed peas, which is a flavor-bomb of a dish.

• Downvote 1

I never tried soul food but from what I've heard, it sounded like it's the furthest thing from anything that's vegan. That probably just shows my ignorance. I better google it and educate myself on it.

I think that traditionally, there is a little bit of pork in most savory dishes and lard in the pie crust. There was a lot of skepticism when this place opened. But it's quite good! The cook grew up eating soul food, stopped eating meat when she was in her teens, and wanted to recreate some of the flavors she remembered for fellow vegetarians and vegans.

Anyone who can get my mom (who is not an especially adventurous eater and a Yankee to boot) to gobble up okra is doing something right.

Last night, we made a soup centered on chard and sorrel, accompanied by toast topped with goat cheese with lavender and honey mixed in.

Tonight, Mom and I are splitting a quick meal of lemon ricotta ravioli and the first asparagus of the season (!!! this is her favorite thing, and it's the last night of her visit, so it was clearly meant to be) before I head off to an evening class.

Still deep winter here. Pork chop grilled in pan with liberal use of lemon and oregano. Cabbage soup. Just chicken broth with shredded cabbage, with a little shredded carrot for color. Dash of vinegar finishes it off. Sliced avocado and bread on the side.

I found some lamb on the managers special section for 40% off, so I made a stew with some chickpeas and onions in the crock pot and some rice. I should have enough for a few days of lunches too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.