IGNORED

#Defend the Duggars Backfires in a Big Way

LongDogMom

Addicting Info had an article about how religious conservatives jumped into action to defend the Duggars after a petition to cancel the show gained traction (after the whole *kissing* debacle where they removed gay couples who sent in pictures kissing). Unfortunately (for them), their attempts to defend the Duggars has backfired in a big way and drawn a lot more negative attention than they anticipated!

"So the religious right jumped on the bandwagon. The American Family Association posted their own viciously anti-gay petition, as did other swindlers and exploiters on the right.

"The religious right website Lifesite News also posted a petition, which quickly got over 140,000 signatures. Lifesite also began a #DefendtheDuggars social media campaign on Twitter, hoping to draw attention to the story. LifeSiteNews.com's managing editor John Jalsevac also created a #DefendtheDuggars Tweetfest! on Facebook, complete with "sample tweets," like:

- I stand with the Duggars against liberal bullies! #DefendtheDuggars http://bit.ly/1yZW6Xz

- I support traditional marriage, and I support the Duggars! #DefendtheDuggars http://bit.ly/1yZW6Xz

Meanwhile, their hashtag, #DefendTheDuggars, was quickly co-opted by some of Twitter's best LGBT activists.

At the core of the issue is not whether or not the Duggars should have their TV show, which reportedly has netted them millions of dollars. At the core of the issue is that TLC and the show's producers aren't being honest with the Duggar family's practices and beliefs. Also at issue is the outrageous hypocrisy that conservatives are claiming liberals have no right to boycott or petition a company about their beliefs, but conservatives claim they do. So Twitter made sure that those lapses in transparency are being corrected.

Take a look, and feel free to join in at #DefendTheDuggars.

Mrs. Betty Bowers @BettyBowers

Boycott a pro-gay brand? Freedom! Boycott an anti-gay brand? Bullying! Persecution! A step towards Sharia law! #DefendTheDuggars #hypocrisy

1:02 PM - 22 Nov 2014

Lee Orion @LOrionII

#DefendtheDuggars because Josh #Duggar works for a #Christian group that wants #LGBT Americans thrown in prison pic.twitter.com/ASYTQXcGkS @TLC

Queer Dalek @Queer_Dalek

#DefendtheDuggars, because calling trans people pedophiles is apparently a religious belief now, somehow.6:53 PM - 21 Nov 2014

JoeMyGod @JoeMyGod

The same #Christian group behind #DefendtheDuggars has called for boycotting 17 pro-gay corporations because of their beliefs. #HYPOCRISY

B3APZfYIcAElmkB.png:large

"

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.co ... _backfires

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, Jill's wedding was GREAT for ratings. No way they'll pull the Duggars before we get the Blessa'd event.

Unfortunately, Jill's wedding was GREAT for ratings. No way they'll pull the Duggars before we get the Blessa'd event.

which will piss me off beyond belief if this happens

Also if there were to be a Blessa baby coming in the near future, this show will be around for a while. :(

And it's highly likely that Jessa is already pregnant. She's a healthy 22 year old that has probably had sex daily for the past 25 days with no birth control. Let's see if Ben still thinks having lots of little kids is still "fun" when he has to listen to a crying baby (or babies) all night long for months.

And it's highly likely that Jessa is already pregnant. She's a healthy 22 year old that has probably had sex daily for the past 25 days with no birth control. Let's see if Ben still thinks having lots of little kids is still "fun" when he has to listen to a crying baby (or babies) all night long for months.

I just don't see how more Duggar weddings and babies are going to sustain the show much longer.

Jill's wedding episode may have drawn ratings, but it was duller than dirt with the only drama involving some nonsense over melting ice cream.

We've seen a baby born on a toilet. We've watched Anna in agony in car and then give birth fully clothed in birthing pool. We've seen Michelle have a C-section. Eventually it's all going to become no more interesting than dental visits. A large percentage of the people in the world get married and have babies, and there is nothing particularly interesting about Duggar weddings or their babies.

I don't think this latest uproar will result in immediate cancelation but the show will end sooner rather than later because it's so damn boring the ratings are bound to fade.

Now, if TLC wanted to portray the truth about the Duggars, it would not be a boring show, but Boob isn't going to let that happen.

I don't see them going away any time soon. They are a good looking train wreck. Jessa has the face of a movie star, she just married a 19 year old, and she was raised in a holy roller conservative vacuum. I think a lot of "fans", myself included, are more interested then ever. I thought they were way more boring when they would pop up on the Today show and announce another pregnancy. I think, by far, Jessa's engagement episode was the best ever. I would guess, since I have no idea and am just speculating, that the ratings for that show were great. She is a gorgeous, fundie princess that just might do something naughty and everyone is waiting around to see what it is.

I just don't see how more Duggar weddings and babies are going to sustain the show much longer.

Jill's wedding episode may have drawn ratings, but it was duller than dirt with the only drama involving some nonsense over melting ice cream.

We've seen a baby born on a toilet. We've watched Anna in agony in car and then give birth fully clothed in birthing pool. We've seen Michelle have a C-section. Eventually it's all going to become no more interesting than dental visits. A large percentage of the people in the world get married and have babies, and there is nothing particularly interesting about Duggar weddings or their babies.

I don't think this latest uproar will result in immediate cancelation but the show will end sooner rather than later because it's so damn boring the ratings are bound to fade.

Now, if TLC wanted to portray the truth about the Duggars, it would not be a boring show, but Boob isn't going to let that happen.

I wish that would happen too. Another dynamic about the show's fans is that fundies use it to boost their confidence. It's a pep talk in every episode, that what they're doing can work out. Except that it's highly edited to seem easier than it is, or cheaper than it is, etc. All the things we notice that are such lies -- the fundies want to believe the lies are true. Most fundies have access to the internet, if their personal rules allow it, and the Duggar's web page that lists videos of the episodes. They don't need cable or a tv to watch the show. So the show has those fans cheering them on. They want to believe that how the Duggars live is possible for anyone.

I think you're forgetting though that TLC has several entire series devoted just to following random people giving birth, or picking out wedding dresses. That have been on for years. And those aren't even about characters people " know" .

I think you're forgetting though that TLC has several entire series devoted just to following random people giving birth, or picking out wedding dresses. That have been on for years. And those aren't even about characters people " know" .

Random, different people providing their personal story, is a whole lot more interesting and inticing , than the same 10 people, doing the same thing, the same way, over and over again...sorry, apples to garden hoses comparison.

I don't see them going away any time soon. They are a good looking train wreck. Jessa has the face of a movie star, she just married a 19 year old, and she was raised in a holy roller conservative vacuum. I think a lot of "fans", myself included, are more interested then ever. I thought they were way more boring when they would pop up on the Today show and announce another pregnancy. I think, by far, Jessa's engagement episode was the best ever. I would guess, since I have no idea and am just speculating, that the ratings for that show were great. She is a gorgeous, fundie princess that just might do something naughty and everyone is waiting around to see what it is.

what you said 1000%

:D http://instagram.com/p/vpnl2ajfid/?modal=true

there must be a reason why Jessa and Ben agreed to let TLC send them to Paris on their honeymoon- and one of the reasons could be because they ie TLC and Jessa and Ben and JB and M know people really care about the jessa and ben story line to a degree.

Plus jill got Nepal - and now Jessa and ben get a more detailed storyline -

I personally can't wait to see the jessa's engaged episodes - I guarantee you that it will be SO DIFFERENT than Jill's

and if Jessa does/is pregnant already well that is a whole different ball game.

I'd give up the wedding for a cancellation of the show.

well then with all due respect - what is the point of even watching - haven't you invested in this show to watch the climax per say - then cancel the show

it's like watching ever episode of friends and then bam you won't watch the series finale and see the twins

or watching every episode of SITC and not discovering Mr. big's real name

that's just cold imo

EDITED

i get it - you all are thinking inside the box and i don't see the box - i just see two young people - i could care less about what they actually believe or think or practice - what they think etc

-

for me it's the entertainment between the two so called lovebirds

so I get it

but still - cold

well then with all due respect - what is the point of even watching - haven't you invested in this show to watch the climax per say - then cancel the show

it's like watching ever episode of friends and then bam you won't watch the series finale and see the twins

or watching every episode of SITC and not discovering Mr. big's real name

that's just cold imo

EDITED

i get it - you all are thinking inside the box and i don't see the box - i just see two young people - i could care less about what they actually believe or think or practice - what they think etc

-

for me it's the entertainment between the two so called lovebirds

so I get it

but still - cold

Cold? Not getting it.

I have been a very tangential watcher- I watched in the beginning and then this past yr or so...I'm just not that interested in seeing a wedding, sorry. No, I am not that invested in all things Duggar related. I do HATE the exploitative nature of children involved in reality TV and I do feel sorry for all the developmentally appropriate things and experiences in life that those kids have missed-including,education, books, music unrelated friends.... I wan this shown gone for that reason.

I think people will get bored when the boys start getting married. The Duggar girls' whole untouched virgin bride thing is weirdly appealing to our puritan-founded, sex-obsessed culture. People care less about the untouched Duggar boys, though. I sorta think TLC will try a Josh and Anna spin-off, and Amy will probably REQUEST one, but neither will be as exploitable as the Duggar girls' teenage years. :roll:

Archived