IGNORED

My worlds just collided

neuroticcat

So I work in children's publishing and was looking up some information on author N D Wilson, who writes kids books. And in his bio he talks about being raised by Jesus-peopleish hippies who started their own church, etc. It's very winsome, and he seems like a fun and creative guy.

Anyway...then I read the wikipedia article on him which reveals that his father is Doug Wilson...I'm pretty sure it's the notorious Doug Wilson of fundie fame (Moscow, Idaho, yes?)

I couldn't find any threads on the family so I don't know if this author has left fundiedom or just masked it. Anyway. Head still spinning. So weird when fundie-dom creeps out of freejinger into real life.

Well, he did get an MA from St. John's College, a secular college with a Great Books curriculum. But yeah, Doug Wilson spawn, however you want to take that.

Have you ever read any of his young adult fiction?

I'm agonna head over to Amazon and look at reviews of some of his young adult titles.

I've read some of his books! Wow. I had no idea that he was related to Doug Wilson.

I read 100 Cupboards which I didn't think was bad. It is not a book I would read a second time, but it was interesting.

I haven't read any of his YA titles, but they don't look like they're doing bad sales-wise. And they're carried by mainstream publishers, so he at least must keep a tight lid on the fundie-think.

I've read some of his books! Wow. I had no idea that he was related to Doug Wilson.

I read 100 Cupboards which I didn't think was bad. It is not a book I would read a second time, but it was interesting.

Oy. I have that book around here somewhere--bought it for the kiddos, who were totally uninterested, then I tried to give it a go and couldn't get into it. But now I might need to try again, and give it a closer read to look for suspicious, tell-tale subtexts :geek:

I've read some of his books! Wow. I had no idea that he was related to Doug Wilson. I read 100 Cupboards which I didn't think was bad. It is not a book I would read a second time, but it was interesting.

I read the 100 Cupboards triology and really liked it.

Don't know about now, but about a decade ago he was quite the internet troll. He used to get into it on one of my friend's blog on the regular.

Didn't know he got himself a book deal, his writing in the Credenda Agenda was horrible. Formulaic and far too amused by its own wittiness. Must have a good editor.

N. D. Wilson wrote the script for Mercy Rule, so he worked with Kirk Cameron, Darren Doane, and their crew, quite recently.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3566370/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

ETA - apologetics is listed as one of the genres in which writes, on his Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N._D._Wilson

Previous FJ thread on the film:

viewtopic.php?f=194&t=20784

I haven't read any of his YA titles, but they don't look like they're doing bad sales-wise. And they're carried by mainstream publishers, so he at least must keep a tight lid on the fundie-think.

Oh, you bet he does when he's talking to the mainstream press. He always tries to spin it as having "hippies" or "Jesus freaks" for parents, knowing that most readers/viewers will assume he means "cool" and tolerant. Not people who, you know, think that slavery wasn't so bad and, well, this one time arranged the marriage of a convicted child molester.

Okay, this time it's my turn for two different parts of my world to collide...

There is a blog I enjoy reading, a woman who's really into gardening, and I like the recipes she posts too.

This morning she posted a text conversation between herself and her husband, who is apparently travelling somewhere, and he saw Josh Duggar at the airport...

onehundreddollarsamonth.com/free-kindle-books-josh-duggar-cute-hot-water-bottles-stargazer-lilies-cabelas-and-more/

iphone-text-message-.jpg

If I were standing next to Joshie at the airport, it would take all of my self control not to kick him in the nuts.

This may be a reaction to an unfortunate Twitter interaction with him during the abortion bill debates in Texas last summer, so take that with a grain of salt. But still...the guy is a douchebag, and no more a celebrity than that chick from Real Housewives who is all over the magazines about having to go to jail. He and his extended Noah's Ark family needs to go away already. Then we can focus on the true whack jobs like the children of Douglas Wilson, who are apparently infiltrating the YA sections of our local libraries :o

Archived