IGNORED

The Sisterhood: Becoming a Nun

misslady

Christie is crowdfunding to pay off her $30,000 college debt so she can actually enter the convent. I feel like it was disingenuous to not mention this side in the programme, and also my respect for Christie has really taken a nosedive that she's just asking for money from strangers.

crowdrise.com/convent4christie

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Christie is crowdfunding to pay off her $30,000 college debt so she can actually enter the convent. I feel like it was disingenuous to not mention this side in the programme, and also my respect for Christie has really taken a nosedive that she's just asking for money from strangers.

crowdrise.com/convent4christie

It doesn't bother me at all. This is not uncommon in this day and age. You can't enter a convent with this kind of debt, which will take a lifetime to pay off. If you google "pay off student loan convent" you will see that she is not the first to go to crowd funding. Anyone who donates is basically funding a postulant's entry into the convent (in the old days you had to pay a dowry). I remember reading an article in the Chicago Tribune a few years ago about this issue, that student loan debt was impeding some people from entering religious life, and they highlighted a charity that helps pay it off.

http://fundforvocations.org/

What reality show was Darnell on? There have been a quite of people that have managed to find their ways onto more than one reality show. You sometimes see it more on reality show competitions. American Idol has been known to take former contestants from other shows. I always thought Eseni was a plant. Not sure if Francesca was plant.

My Super Sweet Sixteen. Apparently Darnell is an aspiring rapper and Daddy has $$$$.

Another interesting review this time by a "media nun."

hellburns.blogspot.com/2014/12/tv-sisterhood-becoming-nuns-6-part

All the discerners, plus Darnell and Sister Beth Ann seem to be tweeting up a storm about the show if you are interested. :)

It doesn't bother me at all. This is not uncommon in this day and age. You can't enter a convent with this kind of debt, which will take a lifetime to pay off. If you google "pay off student loan convent" you will see that she is not the first to go to crowd funding. Anyone who donates is basically funding a postulant's entry into the convent (in the old days you had to pay a dowry). I remember reading an article in the Chicago Tribune a few years ago about this issue, that student loan debt was impeding some people from entering religious life, and they highlighted a charity that helps pay it off.

http://fundforvocations.org/

Yup, it's not uncommon. One of the particpiants in the Our America documentary with Lisa Ling was having rummage sales to pay off college loan debt in order to enter the seminary. Years ago, I think it was 2006 or 2007, MTV's True Life did an episode(can't remember the title) about people changing their lives. One of the subjects was a young woman who became a devout Catholic. She had student loan debt and wanted to enter a convent. But at the end of the episode, it was mentioned that she working an office job and trying to find other ways to pay off her loan debt. She was living with her parents IIRC. MTV never did a follow up on that young woman.

My Super Sweet Sixteen. Apparently Darnell is an aspiring rapper and Daddy has $$$$.

Another interesting review this time by a "media nun."

hellburns.blogspot.com/2014/12/tv-sisterhood-becoming-nuns-6-part

All the discerners, plus Darnell and Sister Beth Ann seem to be tweeting up a storm about the show if you are interested. :)

Thanks for info. I admit that I was addicted to watching My Super Sweet Sixteen and I think I remember Darnell's episode.

But did you leave room for Him when you danced with your partner!!!1!!!1!

It just puts me in mind of that scene from the movie 'Drop Dead Gorgeous' where lead contestant Becky sings a cringe-worthy rendition of "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" and dances with a life-size Jesus doll on a crucifix (on wheels).

In the UK, the government writes off your student debt if it isn't paid after (I think) 25 years, so convents tend not to count student debt as something that will exclude you from entering. Is there no cutoff period like that for US student debts? Like I realise private universities are more common in the US but people still seem to attend state universities, doesn't that mean their fees are partly state-funded? Or does it just mean it's the university FOR the state? I assumed that having 'state' in the name meant it was like a state-funded school.

In the UK, the government writes off your student debt if it isn't paid after (I think) 25 years, so convents tend not to count student debt as something that will exclude you from entering. Is there no cutoff period like that for US student debts? Like I realise private universities are more common in the US but people still seem to attend state universities, doesn't that mean their fees are partly state-funded? Or does it just mean it's the university FOR the state? I assumed that having 'state' in the name meant it was like a state-funded school.

Public universities here get money from the state, but it doesn't mean that the students fees are partially funded by the state. They're usually cheaper, however, if someone is a resident of the state the university is in. In the U.S., it is almost impossible to get student loan debt cancelled. It can't be wiped out with a normal bankruptcy. Unfortunately, the student loan debt load is so high that it's starting to mess with the economy, because college educated workers can't afford to purchase houses and cars because of their debt. It's also starting to be worrisome to those in their 40s and 50s, as they can't afford to properly prepare for retirement.

You can get your loans forgiven if you work in public service for 10 years, but that doesnt include private loans. Some schools will forgive them themselves for public service but not many.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/f ... ic-service

I wonder how much this student debt thing is affecting the number of recruits to convents. In decades past, you could probably pay off your debt in a few years if you lived frugally so it wouldn't have been a major barrier. But now with many people carrying tens (and sometimes hundreds) of thousands of pounds that they will need their whole working life to pay off, it doesn't seem like it's an option for many young women.

I mentioned further upthread that I used to work with the Daughter's of Saint Mary of Providence. (The Chicago order on the show)My sister lives in one of thier homes and is in the hospital, I sat with her most the day and two of the sisters came to visit. We were chatting and reminiscing about old times and I asked them about the show. They both rolled their eyes and said "its so much drama."

But apparently one of the girls did become a novice there, and they did get a few inquiries and another novice not on the show but became interested as a result of the show.

• 3 months later...

Somehow she seems to have overcome her student debt issues and become a postulant with the Daughters of St Mary of Providence in Chicago.

Interestingly, it seems they are beginning to let nuns/postulants have social media: she has a Twitter (twitter.com/christieyoung07), Facebook (facebook.com/ChristieYoung07) and Instagram (instagram.com/christieyoung07) which are still active and being updated regularly. I guess that nuns are finally starting to realise the positive power of the internet; it can de-mystify the whole process of discernment and make the lives of nuns seem less scary and distant to the average person, as well as promoting their order for recruitment purposes and the charity work that they do.

I've not found any evidence that Claire is pursuing a vocation anywhere specific, and obviously the other three decided against it. I'm glad the process worked for at least one of them, though!

Archived