IGNORED

The Sisterhood: Becoming a Nun

misslady

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This article about the show is a pretty good one, by an actual Catholic sister:

http://ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/si ... ty-reality.

One of her points is something that has been bothering me about the show. I understand why the producers set it up like this, but you don't just tour a bunch of different convents if you think you might want to be a sister. A potential vocation to the Poor Clares is very different from a potential vocation to a Benedictine group, and so on.

The Carmelite Sisters of the Aged and Infirm are amazing. Love them. Claire is absolutely a Catholic Jill. Love how Sister Cyril shuts her down when she's trying to grass on Eseni.

Quick review of The Sisterhood: Becoming a Nun after watching the first two episodes.

Basically we are getting an intense version of the "nun run" with a totally predictable made for TV and cast for maximum drama set of "discerners" (although I think there may be a dark horse in there - but I'll get to that later.) It was quite interesting - except for some of the "discerners" dramatics. Interesting article:

http://www.ibtimes.com/sisterhood-revie ... ut-1730006

I'll put this under spoilers for those who haven't watched yet.

The Carmelite Sisters for the Aged and Infirm rocked. Especially Sister "Give me a Break" Cyril, although Sisters Marie Theresa and Patrick were also lovely. I thought they were able to give an excellent idea of what they are all about. I think they agreed to do this mainly to draw attention to their mission and, perhaps as an afterthought, to advertise their community to potential sisters. It will be interesting to see whether the other communities present themselves as effectively. Disclaimer: my late FIL was in one of the Carmelite Sisters' NFs but not in the one featured. I did not recognize any of the sisters.

The discerners:

Claire: Is this Orphan Black? Claire is a bloody clone of prissy sanctimonious Jill Duggar - except Catholic. Painfully annoying home schooled little chit with more than a touch of Agnus Dei in the family. Her vocation shines so brightly that the least little shower of rain might put it out forever. I hope some Sister blasts her soon with a dose of humility. Sister Cyril was too gentle and this tone-deaf girl needs a brick-bat to get through to her. Prediction: apparently sincere but won't last because her vocation won't be able to withstand being cut down to size.

Christie: I sincerely hope she is playing a part and this isn't her real persona because otherwise she needs counseling. And meds. She is channeling St. Teresa of Avilla with her orgasmic visions of Jesus. I think she envisions herself as Sister Wendy living in a caravan as a hermit -- but masturbating instead of pontificating about fine art. Prediction: won't last because she is just playing a part. Badly.

Eseni: Straight from central casting, although the thought of becoming a nun might have crossed her mind after she saw the Nun's Story. Audrey looked so good in that habit! Prediction: Never intended to become a nun. She is beautiful and seems rather nice so I hope she gets some acting and modeling jobs out of this gig.

Francesca: The spotty one. May be sincere but FFS. I join Sr. Cyril in asking for a break. Prediction: If (big if) she has a vocation she will be sent away to grow up a bit before trying to enter.

Stacy: The dark horse. The absence of dramatics in these 2 episodes may mean that she is both suitable and sincere, but it is early yet.

Now let's see how wrong I am. :lol:

Claire: I think that maybe, she likes the position she gets in her family and the outside world from saying she's going to dedicate her life to Jesus, but the reality of being closed off from them and hence their attention might not give her what she wants in the end. This being TV, I'm sure that she will get cut down to size before the end of the series. I can see her more as Super Perfect Type A Catholic Wife than a nun. She is super annoying but I think she is sincere in wanting to do The Right Thing, so I hope she finds some way to express that more healthily.

Christie: Ahhhh, I have met many a Christie in my life, though not a Catholic one. You find many similar personalities in Evangelical Churches, where they fit in much better with the extroverted, expressive style of worship. I think she is looking in the wrong place. I've come across some Christian Communities where you dedicate a period of your life, from a few months upwards, to living in community and working to earn your keep whilst having plenty of free time to go and hang out with Jesus in the beautiful landscape. It would suit her to a T. An example is the Scargill Movement: scargillmovement.org

Eseni: Anyone else get some alarm bells in their head about that relationship? For me it screams out Future Domestic Abuse Case. That guy doesn't seem to care about her but only what she gives to him and his reputation. I think she just wants love, stability and a home. I hope she finds it but I'm not sure a nunnery is the place. I hope she stays in touch with Sister Irish because that lady would be a good mentor for her.

Francesca: Clearly too immature to be considering this as a vocation. Needs to go get a job and live in the real world for a few years before even starting to consider this kind of life.

Stacey: So overlooked in the programme so far she is probably the best candidate. Seems calm, mature and sensible about the whole thing. Most likely to actually make it to the end.

PS.... did they say Claire was homeschooled? I missed that though it wouldn't surprise me.

This article about the show is a pretty good one, by an actual Catholic sister:

http://ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/si ... ty-reality.

One of her points is something that has been bothering me about the show. I understand why the producers set it up like this, but you don't just tour a bunch of different convents if you think you might want to be a sister. A potential vocation to the Poor Clares is very different from a potential vocation to a Benedictine group, and so on.

Another good article. One minor quibble -- as I said above, the producers set this up intentionally as an intensive (greatly exaggerated, live-in, and much longer than normal) "nun run." A nun run is a commonly used humorous term for short-term discernment retreats. Here's an example:

A Discernment Invitation for Single Catholic Women

If you are a single Catholic woman age 18-40 and considering a life choice, you may be wondering: Is God calling me? If this question is in your heart, you are cordially invited to join others seeking God's will for their lives. Join us for a Nun Run or a discernment retreat weekend.

Nun Run: A 24+-hour experience where young women are invited to visit several different Sisters’ houses/ministries. It is a wonderful way to learn how different religious communities respond to their call to holiness and serve the needs of God’s people.

Come and See Weekend: Is God calling me? This retreat provides an opportunity to learn about and experience the life of a Daughter of Charity, to pray and discern one’s call, and to share with other young women discerning their vocation.

christurgesus.org/index_pc.php?pg=Discernment%20Retreats%20and%20Nun%20Runs&for=text&user=main

It is really very common for a person considering her vocation to visit a few different communities initially to find the right fit.

Claire: I think that maybe, she likes the position she gets in her family and the outside world from saying she's going to dedicate her life to Jesus, but the reality of being closed off from them and hence their attention might not give her what she wants in the end. This being TV, I'm sure that she will get cut down to size before the end of the series. I can see her more as Super Perfect Type A Catholic Wife than a nun. She is super annoying but I think she is sincere in wanting to do The Right Thing, so I hope she finds some way to express that more healthily.

Christie: Ahhhh, I have met many a Christie in my life, though not a Catholic one. You find many similar personalities in Evangelical Churches, where they fit in much better with the extroverted, expressive style of worship. I think she is looking in the wrong place. I've come across some Christian Communities where you dedicate a period of your life, from a few months upwards, to living in community and working to earn your keep whilst having plenty of free time to go and hang out with Jesus in the beautiful landscape. It would suit her to a T. An example is the Scargill Movement: scargillmovement.org

Eseni: Anyone else get some alarm bells in their head about that relationship? For me it screams out Future Domestic Abuse Case. That guy doesn't seem to care about her but only what she gives to him and his reputation. I think she just wants love, stability and a home. I hope she finds it but I'm not sure a nunnery is the place. I hope she stays in touch with Sister Irish because that lady would be a good mentor for her.

Francesca: Clearly too immature to be considering this as a vocation. Needs to go get a job and live in the real world for a few years before even starting to consider this kind of life.

Stacey: So overlooked in the programme so far she is probably the best candidate. Seems calm, mature and sensible about the whole thing. Most likely to actually make it to the end.

PS.... did they say Claire was homeschooled? I missed that though it wouldn't surprise me.

We mostly agree about the discerners except you are a lot kinder than me. Yes, Claire as the perfect Catholic wife and mother and Christie would be a good fit for the Scargill Movement. :lol:

Claire was home-schooled per the Lifetime "meet the cast" page.

I'm cynically convinced that 3 (perhaps 4) of the 5 are total reality TV fakers playing an assigned role. I think Stacey is the ringer who has already done plenty of discernment retreats and really knows what she is doing.

Re: Darnell and Eseni. I see what you mean, but I think Darnell has just been cast as the stalking boyfriend. He is a Reality TV veteran (My Super Sweet Sixteen) and I assume he just answered the casting call.

Another good article and the source for Darnell's Reality TV past: patheos.com/blogs/theanchoress/2014/11/26/sisterhood-may-be-reality-tv-for-reality-tv-haters/

Stacey shows up in the comments on this nun's review of the show:

coauthoryourlifewithgod.com/2014/11/26/a-real-sisters-take-on-the-sisterhood-becoming-nuns/

This is Stacey- Thank you for your comments on the show! You were spot on. I am so touched that you included a prayer for all of us girls and for others discerning.

For anyone who is wondering, we all chose to do this and honestly I expected to have our cell phones taken away. Given the genre, I knew they’d choose the most dramatic moments. But we had plenty of bonding time off-camera, and mass and a holy hr every day with the sisters off-camera. It was still a tough process, facing your deepest questions, but the prayer time really gave me the grace I needed to genuinely keep my eyes on discernment and not parading for the camera.

In response to Sr. Julie, I went and visited the Little Sisters of the Poor 3 times before the show started filming. I wanted to make sure I got an off-camera experience of discernment so that I would have a basis of comparison in case the cameras proved to be very intrusive. However, the cameramen were very respectful. My fears about having a genuine discernment experience proved unfounded, and I had some of the best prayer experiences of my life! Honestly, Im thrilled that I got to do interviews on Access Hollywood, the Today Show, and some other major news networks- not because I want fame, but because I’m proud to represent an often hidden and misunderstood calling. The conversation this show is starting is great! And I pray that God brings grace out of it for everyone who watches. Sure, it’s going to be dramatic. But I think a lot of secular viewers will relate to those of us girls who are at the beginning of our discernment and so used to wearing makeup and being plugged into technology.

God bless you and all the sisters who have courageously dedicated your lives in service to God and His people :)

So she did her homework anyway.

I love your take on the girls and I agree with you on them. I got red flags from Eseni's boyfriend. I like Stacey and Christie the best. I agree with you and other posters, Claire is totally a hardcore Catholic version of Jill Duggar. She also reminds of FJ's favorite love to hate Catholic blogger Abigail.

WTF... episodes after #2 are locked unless I sign in with my TV provider! What can I do? I'm watching with Hola from the UK so I don't have one...

So I am finally caught up! Way more drama in these two episodes. The poor Chicago nuns, sidelined by

what I am sure was not at all a producer-instigated arrival of The Boyfriend.
I'm happy that Christie has maybe found a place? Although with all her talk about anxiety I wonder if she's really emotionally stable enough for this kind of life. We'll have to check back in a few years I guess. See also Francesca, who is clearly not old enough to be making this decision yet and needs to go get a job for a while.

Did anybody else think Francesca's mom deals with this kind of meltdown a lot? What little we heard was not exactly the sound of a mother who was overly concerned about anything, more like "there, there (not this again)".

Just caught up on the series last night.... Im shocked TLC didn't pick this up and Lifetime was able to get it. This show is a little ridiculous. Those poor nuns dealing with those girls who don't necessarily want to be there. Its like summer camp.

If anything, Claire looks like she's in it for the long haul. And that boyfriend stunt? completely fabricated by the producers.

Never seen a nun in a bathing suit. :o that one girl forgot her name with that whole body swim suit was more covered than the nun

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My aunt who's a nun always used to take me swimming when I was little (well splashing about really!) and then for fish and chips. Nuns swim like everyone else! And my aunt wore a totally normal average 1-piece swimsuit.

(sorry for my absence, will answer more questions)

I'm finally caught up on this show. In the Chicago episode, the Perpetual Adoration scene has me all confused. Will y'all please explain what Sister meant in that scene when she says:

"Mary is the new tabernacle. She is the fulfillment of the covenant....Our Lady of the Holy Eucharist." (paraphrase)

I'm finally caught up on this show. In the Chicago episode, the Perpetual Adoration scene has me all confused. Will y'all please explain what Sister meant in that scene when she says:

"Mary is the new tabernacle. She is the fulfillment of the covenant....Our Lady of the Holy Eucharist." (paraphrase)

The Tabernacle in the Old Testament is the box that the Israelites carried God around in. (Details here: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus+26) Kept the Holy God away from the unholy people as they wandered around looking for a place to stay.

So Mary, by virtue of bearing the Son of God in her womb, is the new "tabernacle", the new container for God. The thing they were praying in front of is a monstrance, a fancy display for the communion wafers that have been transubstantiated and are therefore also God/Jesus. Nifty bit of symbolism there, putting the wafer in the belly of the figure of Mary.

The Tabernacle in the Old Testament is the box that the Israelites carried God around in. (Details here: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus+26) Kept the Holy God away from the unholy people as they wandered around looking for a place to stay.

So Mary, by virtue of bearing the Son of God in her womb, is the new "tabernacle", the new container for God. The thing they were praying in front of is a monstrance, a fancy display for the communion wafers that have been transubstantiated and are therefore also God/Jesus. Nifty bit of symbolism there, putting the wafer in the belly of the figure of Mary.

Thank you for clearing that up for me! Your explanation gave me a lightbulb moment! :techie-idea: I get it now. The symbolism is very clever. Growing up in my branch of Protestantism, Mary didn't have much, if any, significance. Oh, and thanks for my new word of the day: monstrance.

Thank you for clearing that up for me! Your explanation gave me a lightbulb moment! :techie-idea: I get it now. The symbolism is very clever. Growing up in my branch of Protestantism, Mary didn't have much, if any, significance. Oh, and thanks for my new word of the day: monstrance.

I grew up Presbyterian and we didn't get much into Mary either, except for the pink candle on the Advent wreath. I just have a side hobby of comparative religion ;)

Wikipedia tells me that the particular monstrance they were visiting is the largest in the world. I didn't catch whether the wafer in it was sized accordingly. Which makes me wonder, if you made a big enough wafer and it's supposed to turn into Jesus, would you be able to bring him back to life? (sorry, Catholics, that's probably a tasteless joke.)

The thing that had the finger in it is also called a monstrance.

I just learned that the second epi was at The Daughters of Saint Mary of Providence!!!! I worked for them for three years!!!!!! My sister lives in thier house in the burbs. That is where I worked. I can tell you the sisters I worked with put the residents best interest before anything else. They truly love and care for them and are dedicated. I am going to have to see if I recognize any of the sisters. I was surprised when I ran into a sister I worked with years later and she recognized and rememberd me and was so interested in my family and seemed so happy to see me. It was touching.

I'm finally watching the episode online (will PM the link to any other foreigners who want it) and I'm getting SUPER ANNOYED at how they are talking about the homeless. Newsflash: homeless people are people, just like you and me. They aren't some foreign species, they just didn't get all the advantages in life that many of us have taken for granted. I am disgusted that some of them are so horrified at the thought of touching or hugging people who live on the streets. I've volunteered with a charity that helps homeless/addicts and it's hard, yes, but being a nun especially is about putting other people before yourself and several of these girls seem to have missed that.

I'm hoping badass Sr Beth Ann kicks some sense into them ASAP. Only Claire seems to have got the point of this exercise so far.

My sister was a Loreto sister, of the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary. She never wore a habit. Some of the very old sisters did and some of the "middle aged" ones wore a navy skirt with a white blouse and jacket.

My daughter's preschool teacher is a Loretto sister!! She wears conservative, secular dress all the time. And she's awesome! I love her and she was the best teacher for my daughter! Patience of a saint, not even kidding.

Not all Anglican orders use a specific rule like St Benedict, St Francis etc, most use a mixture - but the ones that do would follow the rule in the same way a Catholic order would, there would be very little difference at all. I stayed with a Carmelite order in Oxford and they prayed for the Pope as well as the Queen at Mass (and yes they called it Mass). Most Anglican nuns are Anglo-Catholic so there's very little difference between them and their Catholic counterparts.

I think the convent I considered the most was the Sisters of Bethany (here in the UK) who have a mixed or semi-cloistered life - a mix of contemplation and service in the world.

Thank you for sharing. I was a cradle Catholic until I was about 22. Then I joined the Episcopal Church (American version of Anglican). At one point in my teens, I strongly considered joining an order, but I wanted to wait until I had more life experience (and then I met my now-husband). Since switching from the RCC to the ECUSA, I've been curious about the differences.

The Apostolic Report came out today. To the great relief of American Sisters it was much less judgmental than anticipated. They were bracing themselves ....

It was actually quite cool. In fact, very cool.

http://www.cruxnow.com/church/2014/12/1 ... ican-nuns/

I guess we have Francis to thank for this. Ratzie (AKA Benedict) was gunning for them.

I wonder what my renegade very liberal SIL also CSJ Sister will glean from this. :D

I'm finally watching the episode online (will PM the link to any other foreigners who want it) and I'm getting SUPER ANNOYED at how they are talking about the homeless. Newsflash: homeless people are people, just like you and me. They aren't some foreign species, they just didn't get all the advantages in life that many of us have taken for granted. I am disgusted that some of them are so horrified at the thought of touching or hugging people who live on the streets. I've volunteered with a charity that helps homeless/addicts and it's hard, yes, but being a nun especially is about putting other people before yourself and several of these girls seem to have missed that.

I'm hoping badass Sr Beth Ann kicks some sense into them ASAP. Only Claire seems to have got the point of this exercise so far.

This. In any context, I hate the phrase "the homeless" as if they are a species.

And I'm really surprised these young women came all the way through Catholic education to the point of considering a religious vocation and never came across the lesson of St. Francis and the leper.

Anyone watching this now? I'm just getting started with E5/6 (I wonder if it wasn't as successful as they wanted being as the episodes are back to back) and I can't wait to see what happens with Eseni and Francesca. If those two make it to the end I will be amazed.

Archived