IGNORED

Abby Maxwell's Mama Chicken's eggs hatched

SPHASH

The first picture and lines made me think Anna had decided to get chickens and was now being called Mama Brood or whatever it was, not the chicken.

It was otherwise a nice post. Sounds like Abby really loves caring for her chickens.

Whoopie! I now got a hankering for some rotissere chicken at my local deli after reading that post.

Here, you'll need this: :animals-chickencatch:

Steve strikes me as the sort to start serving up her beloved chickens for dinner, just to stop her from getting too much pleasure from them.

Steve strikes me as the sort to start serving up her beloved chickens for dinner, just to stop her from getting too much pleasure from them.

Yes he does seem like the type. I wouldn't be surprised if he does that. I'm afraid of birds (chickens, turkeys, etc) but if Steve does that to his granddaughter that would just break my heart for her.

Chickens are going to have more babies than Poor Sarah ever will.

The chicken is probably a better mother. I mean, without the ability to think as an individual, how would PS even know what to so with a baby anyway? Unless she breaks free that is.

Anyone else think that this post is a (relatively subtle for the Maxwells) hint that Melanie is pregnant again? I'm sure Abigail is wearing a 'Big sister' top, and the post clearly refers to a chicken as a mother. Also, the latest blog post says that Sarah has been taking photos of the ABC girls for an announcement later this week.

Anyone else think that this post is a (relatively subtle for the Maxwells) hint that Melanie is pregnant again? I'm sure Abigail is wearing a 'Big sister' top, and the post clearly refers to a chicken as a mother. Also, the latest blog post says that Sarah has been taking photos of the ABC girls for an announcement later this week.

Hmmm. Maybe. But I would be very surprised.

It doesn't actually say announcement, just blog post.

She could be, but given her history, that would be awfully soon.

God I hope not! Usually Mel pops one out about every two years (2008-Abby, 2010-Bethany, 2012-Christina, 2014-Drew, exception Susannah-2007). But at their last conference Teri was bragging about what a great slave, er, helper Abby was and how she folded six loads of laundry so Mommy could nap.

Oh, I hope not! It seems just way too soon after Drew and I was really hoping she was done. Ugh. Maybe the announcement will be that ElizabethAlissa is pregnant. That would be more likely.

She is wearing the big sister tee, but the other girls are not. Usually they all wear the shirt when an announcement is being hinted.

I bet the blog post will be about Thanksgiving and what everyone is grateful for this year, accompanied by photoes of everyone. Maybe a pregnancy announcement from Elissa, but not likely Melanie.

Is 4H a Christian thing?

Not by me it isn't. Probably the vast majority of the members are Christian just because the vast majority of people in the rural US tend to be Christian, but that's about it.

It's a club for kids to learn various rural and small town type skills. Raising animals is a big deal, you raise a cow/pig/goat/sheep/whatever and then show it in competition at the county fair, possibly the state fair. There are prizes, and also usually the winning animals get purchased for quite a sum, too.

There's also FFA (Future Farmers of America) in the high schools.

But, but, but. They don't have a rooster, do they? Is this another immaculate conception?

I suspect Nathan got some fertile eggs from a farm and slipped them under Mama Broody, but probably even Poor Sarah isn't ready to hear about how eggs become baby chicks.

I wondered that too. I know next to nothing about raising chickens, but I do believe you can't get chicks without a hen and a rooster both, right?

I wondered that too. I know next to nothing about raising chickens, but I do believe you can't get chicks without a hen and a rooster both, right?

Yep, you need a hen and a rooster at the same time (unlike certain fish that can store the sperm). Also, roosters aren't really modest or shy about breeding any hen they can catch, which could lead to awkward defraudment in Maxhell.

Yep, you need a hen and a rooster at the same time (unlike certain fish that can store the sperm). Also, roosters aren't really modest or shy about breeding any hen they can catch, which could lead to awkward defraudment in Maxhell.

You mean the rooster doesn't ask the hen's father for permission to court?

You mean the rooster doesn't ask the hen's father for permission to court?

Nope, more of a raid and pillage :). "Vigorous leg humper" is probably a better way to describe it, but it's not legs that are being humped. Roosters have healthy appetites. ;) and if the rooster:hen ratio gets out of whack, the hens get harassed a lot, sometimes to the point of having bald backs and losing weight because they don't get a chance to eat. More of a Michael Pearl honeymoon scenario.

(I've had the same problem with my fish sometimes- too many males, worn out harassed females hiding in the corners. These would be the same fish - platies- where the female can store sperm for months, so you actually don't need a male all the time.)

Archived