IGNORED

Evangelicals, Climate Change, and the Apocalypse

Rachel333

I can't say this surprised me, but it explains a lot about many Christians' attitudes towards climate change. 77% of white Evangelical Protestants and 49% of Americans overall believe that the severity of recent natural disasters is evidence of the biblical end times.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... pocalypse/

I think the belief that the world is going to end soon can cause a lot of harm, and I've definitely seen it among my own family and friends. I do think that one way it manifests on a larger scale is an apathetic attitude towards environmental issues (even though there are verses in the Bible that many other Christians take as a command to be good "stewards" of the natural world). I've heard from quite a few Christians that we don't need to worry about the environment because Jesus is coming back soon or because God would not let us destroy the earth. Some even interpret the commandment to be stewards of the earth as a license to do whatever we please with it.

As my grandmother used to say," Don't say God will look out for that, God could be looking the other way". So, don't use God as an excuse for apathy or inactivity.

Part of it too is the solution is so against their beliefs in less government. Only government can fix it and that is so repellent that it is easier to just deny it

Archived