IGNORED

My husband trained me to be just like a dog!

Koala

Lori has a post up about how John Wayne had the right idea about women staying at home. Gee, I wonder what John Wayne's three wives thought about his opinions.

lorialexander.blogspot.com/2014/11/john-wayne-got-it.html

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lori has a post up about how John Wayne had the right idea about women staying at home. Gee, I wonder what John Wayne's three wives thought about his opinions.

lorialexander.blogspot.com/2014/11/john-wayne-got-it.html

Haha. He had seven children too, a quiverfull for Lori to gush over. That it was with two different marriages and one of his marriages he did produce any children matter not to Lori. She will just tell you are a detractor or red herring and missing the entire point of her post if you dare point out those facts.

Wow --

A French Film Showing Men What Being A Woman Feels Like Kinda Nails It

Flipping the genders really brings to light some of the awful things that happen to women in our male-dominated society.

Trigger warning (sexual violence) and slightly NSFW, but it is absolutely worth the time.

[bBvideo 560,340:l0wilbgo]
[/bBvideo]

source: upworthy.com/a-french-film-showing-men-what-being-a-woman-feels-like-kinda

John Wayne! This is a man she says is masculine??? If you read the new biography about him it tells how he was too chicken to fight in the second world war. He didn't want to give up his Hollywood lifestyle to go fight in a trench. He was a coward.

Then explain to me what happens when both/all the adults in the kid's life gag/heave/panic upon the sight or smell (or whatever).

I never cleaned it up because I didn't have the same heave reflex. But you can't leave the kid in it, and you can't hire someone to clean up every time a kid gets sick.

Sorry.

I can only speak for my family. My mom didn't blink an eye at blood, broken bones, etc and could practically stitch my brother up herself. (She actually did learn to take stitches out because they got them so often.) She has a very sympathetic gag reflex, though, and if my dad wasn't around she would help us while taking breaks so she could also throw up. Seriously - I can't remember a time that her dealing with vomit didn't result in two people throwing up.

But to your point, you do what you have to as much as you can.

But to your point, you do what you have to as much as you can.

Exactly. That is exactly my point. (What is the alternative, really? That's what being a parent is about).

Addendum - and sometimes others one loves and cares about. Chemo, for example.

I can't believe anyone can just leave it. I've cleaned up vomit, despite vomiting the entire time. It goes beyond the "ew gross." I see someone on TV, I vomit. I hear someone vomit, I've vomited. I still managed to soldier through a few times and clean up both my own and someone else's. It might have taken me forever, with tons of trips to the restroom, but I managed.

WHAT is with the obsession with showing it on tv lately? I don't get that! I have to change the channel, and then I am queasy for the next hour or two.

And agreeing with the "just leaving it" thing. Cleaning it up makes me sick, heaving/retching sick, but leaving it would make me even sicker, especially if it was on carpet, because then I'd start obsessing over all the germs it was spreading. There's no way I could leave a mess like that on the floor all day for my husband to come home to unless I was literally too sick myself to deal with it. The smell alone would do me in. BUT when he's home, you'd better believe I let him take over. I'm thankful he does it. I can handle just about anything else -- blood, gaping wounds, even poop, but I cannot handle sick.

I'm blessed with a very sensitive nose and heave/gag reflex - one of the reasons I dropped the idea of going to medical school early on. What helps immensely when dealing with foul messes is a dab of Vick's vapour rub on your upper lip. Your brain is so overwhelmed by the eucalyptus it doesn't smell anything else.

No, it's not the same. My husband doesn't have as sympathethic a gag reflex as I do. He can deal with it like it's no big deal while I will dry heave until I puke. Believe me, I'm not proud of it. I tend to feel the same way as you when people get the vapors over needles or blood (I used to be a phlebotomist so both were a large part of my day for years.), but I have to remind myself we all have our thing. Not everyone can just suck it up and deal with certain things.

Actually sometimes you really just do have to suck it up and do certain things. I'm the only adult in my household, my kid's friend vomited on my carpet, who is going to ride in and save me?

Your own kid's vomit is easier because you want your kid to feel better. Some other kid? max squick.

Man oh man, I guess I see it this way: I don't run crying from anything else. I'll deal with spiders, rodents, snakes, blood, frogs, shit, etc etc. I hate ants more than anything else other than puke but I still deal with them. I have a husband who deals with the vomit. Why would I not let him? And the time I left it, I was so sick I was wishing for death, as I stated. I don't think I've ever had a bug like that in my life. And it was on old hardwood we had yet to refinish. :)

Have dealt with spiders, centipedes, ants, mice and frogs and cleaned the vomit off my kitchen floor when my then two year old nephew got sick during a visit. Mr. No had to leave the room that time. Cleaned gross bathrooms too.

However, when we were replacing the dryer duct and I was cleaning out the handfuls of lint out of the duct opening, before putting the new ducting int. I touched something that was not lint. It was a dead bird covered in it. You couldn't see it but could feel it through the lint and we did have problems with birds making nests in our dryer vent before. I screamed and ran out, telling Mr. No to get it, which he did. I would not got back and continue until I made sure that there were no more.

Have dealt with spiders, centipedes, ants, mice and frogs and cleaned the vomit off my kitchen floor when my then two year old nephew got sick during a visit. Mr. No had to leave the room that time. Cleaned gross bathrooms too.

However, when we were replacing the dryer duct and I was cleaning out the handfuls of lint out of the duct opening, before putting the new ducting int. I touched something that was not lint. It was a dead bird covered in it. You couldn't see it but could feel it through the lint and we did have problems with birds making nests in our dryer vent before. I screamed and ran out, telling Mr. No to get it, which he did. I would not got back and continue until I made sure that there were no more.

Unexpected dead things freak me out too. Once as a little kid i was playing with some puppets and found what i thought was just a piece of paper and ended up being a dead cricket. I flipped out :lol:

One of my family stories i heard growing up: My mom's cousin is super persnickety and he was making something on the stove and noticed the metal fan cover thing in the vent was splattered with grease so he decided to clean it. It rattled around, fell off, and lo and behold a dead bird fell into the pot of whatever he was cooking. It grossed him out so badly he threw up, and i don't blame him at all.

Once I was hanging washing out and saw out of the corner of my eye what I assumed to be a wooden peg (my mother tended to leave them pegged to the line when not in use). I reached up and took hold of it - and realised it was a large brown insect (presumably a moth because we tend not to have massive grasshopper thingys, but I can't remember now). I shrieked...

Vomit isn't a problem for me, partly because I suffered from migraines so young that I DON'T REMEMBER my brain scan, and the first step in recovery was throwing up, after which I could get to sleep. I used to take Disprin, which I hated so much it became my emetic, standing by the loo.

Some nappies have made me walk out of the room halfway, though. And several more involved breathing in into my elbow.

WHAT is with the obsession with showing it on tv lately? I don't get that! I have to change the channel, and then I am queasy for the next hour or two.

And agreeing with the "just leaving it" thing. Cleaning it up makes me sick, heaving/retching sick, but leaving it would make me even sicker, especially if it was on carpet, because then I'd start obsessing over all the germs it was spreading. There's no way I could leave a mess like that on the floor all day for my husband to come home to unless I was literally too sick myself to deal with it. The smell alone would do me in. BUT when he's home, you'd better believe I let him take over. I'm thankful he does it. I can handle just about anything else -- blood, gaping wounds, even poop, but I cannot handle sick.

Right there with you. I really don't get the vomiting on TV lately. I've run out of the room dry heaving more than once. I feel like I don't have control over it; I can clean up and deal with it if I have to, but that's going to make me vomit too.

Any nurse can tell you we can handle anything...but we each have ONE thing that will set us off and make us lose control of our stomach. For me, I can handle blood, poop, mucous, gangrene and most kinds of vomit. I cannot handle an upper GI block vomit. It's bright green and has an overpowering fermented grass smell.

I also cannot handle snakes. Grew up in the mountains and learned to be on constant vigilance for them. But, I don't attribute it to a girl thing at all. My 12 year old GIRL has a pet snake. I am scared to death and run and hide anytime he comes out. The only other person even remotely nervous about him is my oldest son. Everyone in this house knows it's a mom thing, not a girl thing....and the snake goes with his mommy when she goes to college, cause he's not staying in my house without her!

Any nurse can tell you we can handle anything...but we each have ONE thing that will set us off and make us lose control of our stomach. For me, I can handle blood, poop, mucous, gangrene and most kinds of vomit. (snip)

My BIL is a paramedic who can't handle throw-up. Riddle me that.

Mind you, I don't judge anyone for that especially since I am the same way, but there's also no amount of money in the world that could get me to choose a career path that might involve me being near throwing-up people on a semi-regular or regular basis.

The Feline Headship (my roommate's cat) brings in his "outside toys" when it's that sweet spot, weather-wise (perfect temperature, minimal humidity) and his window is left open. I prefer the living voles, though, after Himself brought in a squirrel he'd already half-eaten. (I let the roommate deal with THAT one. I can corner and sweep up voles with the broom and dump them back outside.)

The Minion Kitten (my kitty) hunts and eats bugs. We have significantly fewer houseflies now.

Archived