IGNORED

Derick and Jill, you could really help in Nepal

BrownieMomma

http://news.yahoo.com/army-housewives-s ... 10520.html

Derick has never talked much about his mission work in Nepal but surely he must be aware of the high infant mortality rate in Nepal, primarily due to unsafe traditional practices.

There has been interesting discussion on FJ lately regarding missions, that missionary work should be more about humanitarian effort than conversion.

This is perfect for Derick and Jill. She could spearhead a campaign to raise money for the gel. Derick could utilize his Nepal contacts to figure out ways to reach women in Nepal and teach them how to use this Western medicine to save the lives of their newborns. They could go over there, travel the country, distribute the medicine.

They could touch people's lives in a real, lasting and positive way.

Walking the hard walk.

I think Derick, from what's been shown of him, would be open to such.

I'm not sure about Jill. Were the Duggars ministering to the needs of others, beyond religion, before TLC?

Walking the hard walk.

I think Derick, from what's been shown of him, would be open to such.

I'm not sure about Jill. Were the Duggars ministering to the needs of others, beyond religion, before TLC?

I can't imagine that they were. They lived in a 3bedroom home with 14 kids. For all the talk of how they are self-sufficient, not on welfare, and JB being an astute business person, I don't think they were financially well-off prior to TLC.

I don't know that the Southern Baptist Mission Board would send the Dillards out as a married couple. Pretty sure that Jill not being SBC would be a huge problem. I am pretty sure having a college education is a requirement, I think, one of my fellow youth group married and become an SBC missionary. I am trying to remember what all requirements. No debt. It was not easy joining mission service.

I don't know if Derick was already on his way to becoming a Duggar by paying a lot of lip service to future mission work without any real intent of doing so. He had to have known that marrying Jill would make it problematic for the Mission Board, and if he didn't go under their auspices, he's just gonna go on his own? Or sponsored by the Home Church of Duggarville?

This great need in Nepal seems perfect for D&J but would they be able to leave the McMansion and the security of Walmart/TLC?

http://news.yahoo.com/army-housewives-saving-nepals-newborns-070210520.html

Derick has never talked much about his mission work in Nepal but surely he must be aware of the high infant mortality rate in Nepal, primarily due to unsafe traditional practices.

There has been interesting discussion on FJ lately regarding missions, that missionary work should be more about humanitarian effort than conversion.

This is perfect for Derick and Jill. She could spearhead a campaign to raise money for the gel. Derick could utilize his Nepal contacts to figure out ways to reach women in Nepal and teach them how to use this Western medicine to save the lives of their newborns. They could go over there, travel the country, distribute the medicine.

They could touch people's lives in a real, lasting and positive way.

You could try posting it to her facebook/twitter/instagram (whatever social media it is that she uses). It might plant an idea.

The D's did used to be SBC. I wrote down the episode where Michelle said they were and then it seems to have been torn off my notepad at work (it was there last week). Season 1 or 2, pre-Josie. I do know later she claimed they were IFB so there was a change, but maybe being former SBC would give Jill some leeway. Or maybe since her marriage she joined Derick's church.

I would have a lot more respect for her if she did actually accompany Derick on a missionary trip and work for the people. Not just handing out gifts and such, but actual work.. it would make me think she was sincere about many of the things she's said over the years.

I doubt Jill would have the slightest clue how to run such an organization and at best could help maybe one or two women while burning through a bunch of money. She'd be best off donating money to or seeking to volunteer with an established organization like http://empoweringwomenofnepal.wordpress ... iatives-2/ .

Jill would first have to understand and accept that there many ways of doing things that can each lead to the same end point.

She would need to listen more and speak less (2 ears and 1 mouth).

She'd have to learn that there's a big world out there, filled with smart, competent, diverse, educated people. People who do not necessarily agree with everything she thinks and certainly do not operate on Duggar time.

She'd have to learn that the TTH is not the center of the universe or have all the correct answers-in fact, in some areas, the TTH is misguided...and has handicapped many.

But if she did open up her eyes and heart, she could be an asset-

Jill seems like she has the "heart" for real missions, but as other have pointed out, she lacks the understanding of what it really takes. Maybe Derrick can teach her. We don't know what he was doing exactly in Nepal, but I can't imagine that he was passing out tracts and just sightseeing for two years! (or maybe he was!) :pink-shock:

I, for one, really hope they do. Jill obviously has skills that would actually be very beneficial in Nepal, not just practical midwifery, but her personality would make her well suited to the task. It's just a shame she seems to have been caught up in the wedding/baby hype, because they do seem to make a good team. This is where I so hope they break free and use some BC one day, they can't head to Nepal with eleventy kids. :doh:

Even if they don't do a mission trip Derick and Jill could still see about working with a group to try and raise funds for this type of need. I don't know what groups would be good options that they would be willing to work with, but it could be a nice compromise and a way to still make a difference.

I don't think they'd do it. They'd either be dragging an infant along, or leaving Dill at home. I don't think Jill would want to do either, though we can hope they'd be willing to do something.

Archived