IGNORED

MacDonalds - courtship question

stonefruit

I'm confused by the latest entry on Stacey's blog (by daughter Jessica) - yoursacredcalling.com/blog/2011/08/so-this-is-love/ - I thought Jessica was courting (her friend's brother, wasn't it? he was in the military?), but this entry reads like she was just flirting with someone, not courting him, and then he jilted her.

Is this a second failed courtship for the MacDonalds? Or am I misremembering this?

also: Hi! First post :)

It appears that courtship has ended. I think the guy in question is the brother of one of her best friends (who is actually courting a boy from their church) and he's in the Marines and stationed somewhere in the Middle East. Can't be easy to court someone who is thousands of miles away. I got the impression that the boy Jessica is referring to in her mother's blog is NOT the boy she was courting. Must be someone else either in their church or something. So, yes... another failed courtship for the McDonald's. For people who so smugly rant about "protecting the hearts of their kids" they certainly seem to be doing a crappy job of it themselves. I fail to see how allowing 2 of their daughters to enter into courtships with 2 men they DIDN'T ultimately marry is any better than just letting their girls go out for a casual hamburger/movie to see if they have anything in common without the whole premise of "marriage" forced on them from the second the kids start interacting. Ridiculous.

Right. Because it can't just be "dating" or "getting to know someone"; it has to be "courtship", which means it can't just be "breaking up" or "not dating anymore"; it has to be "a failed courtship". Ouch.

Well, according to earlier posts by MacDonald pere et mere (now wiped from teh internetz tubes), it's not just courtship, it's also betrothal, and if you back out of a betrothal you've also divorced your intended.

It appears that courtship has ended. I think the guy in question is the brother of one of her best friends (who is actually courting a boy from their church) and he's in the Marines and stationed somewhere in the Middle East. Can't be easy to court someone who is thousands of miles away. I got the impression that the boy Jessica is referring to in her mother's blog is NOT the boy she was courting. Must be someone else either in their church or something. So, yes... another failed courtship for the McDonald's. For people who so smugly rant about "protecting the hearts of their kids" they certainly seem to be doing a crappy job of it themselves. I fail to see how allowing 2 of their daughters to enter into courtships with 2 men they DIDN'T ultimately marry is any better than just letting their girls go out for a casual hamburger/movie to see if they have anything in common without the whole premise of "marriage" forced on them from the second the kids start interacting. Ridiculous.

The words "casual hamburger" make me smile. That would be a great username!

So what are the MacDonald courtship stats at this point? Did Christa court?

Tiffany courted one guy, broke it off, courted another, got married. Jessica has courted....twice? and is now single.

HOW IS THIS DIFFERENT FROM DATING, I ASK YOU?!?!

I would think their methods of "courting" is worse tehn dating. They want the people to get to know each other quickly then if it works to quickly get married that it would be the equivalent of "dating" someone for a year or so. A few casual hamburger/movie date would be a lot less intimate and invovle the heart less then these "courtships" they have.

edited because I am having a bad grammar/spelling day

I will forever refer to all courtship as the "formal hamburger", as opposed to the sinful mainstream "casual hamburger"

So, I guess that means I shouldn't ask for pickle on my hamburger either way??

I will forever refer to all courtship as the "formal hamburger", as opposed to the sinful mainstream "casual hamburger"

HAHAHA!!! Oh, how you all make me laugh!! :lol: Oh, and I believe Jessica has only had one "formal hamburger" that crashed and burned. Not two. The eldest daughter was married off successfully and only ate one formal hamburger. And the whole "hamburger" thing makes me laugh even harder given the last name of the fundie family in question! :P The McDonalds were my gateway fundies so I'm all up on their jam.

HAHAHA!!! Oh, how you all make me laugh!! :lol: Oh, and I believe Jessica has only had one "formal hamburger" that crashed and burned. Not two. The eldest daughter was married off successfully and only ate one formal hamburger. And the whole "hamburger" thing makes me laugh even harder given the last name of the fundie family in question! :P The McDonalds were my gateway fundies so I'm all up on their jam.

I was just about to say all this talk of hamburgers and McDonalds is making me hungry :lol:

i think what is really at stake here is the hamburger (casual) vs the roast beef sandwich (formal, as evidenced by kristina's engagement photos).

Archived