IGNORED

Petition for the Duggars to be Cancelled

JumpingD

If they get canceled it will just play into the fundie persecution complex. TLC needs to not cancel them but show them for who they really are. Drop the cutesy look and show that it is a family built around hatred for anyone not just like them. Get it to the point where there is such a backlash that the Duggars want out.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the show gets canceled they will whine about how persecuted they are. A perfect example of a loving Christian family is bashed for what they believe in. No freedom of speech for them, no freedom of religion. :angry-banghead:

How does this compare with the Duck Dynasty gay-hate speak scandal? They went off the air for a bit but never got cancelled, right? That was A&E but not TLC....

Huff Post had a big article about it today. It came across my twitter feed. They also talked about Joshies hate boss. I can't link to it on my phone.

If they get canceled it will just play into the fundie persecution complex. TLC needs to not cancel them but show them for who they really are. Drop the cutesy look and show that it is a family built around hatred for anyone not just like them. Get it to the point where there is such a backlash that the Duggars want out.

YES. Someone behind the scenes needs to leak some unaired footage............. Whacking the baby with a ruler/pipe. Telling kids why they are rallying against gay marriage. If the public saw that, they'd make quick work of it themselves. If TLC just 'listened' to a bunch of gay supporters on a petition, then the 'persecution' stories will begin.

Its like Mama June. Sure, TLC could have known about the molesters in the lives of those children. Any half assed internet sleuth could find that out. But if the public didn't know, it was okay. Once the pictures came out and the public saw things for what it truly was, the network had no choice.

It's all about PR, people. What can and can't you sweep under the rug. But that rug starts to unravel at some point.

I think at this point, the kids will be fine if the show was cancelled. They aren't going to be pushed onto the brink of starvation and lose everything, as I am sure Jimbob can save enough money for them to keep the house and afford to eat and they will still get money from people buying their books and are still popular enough in the fundie crowd to speak at events.. The Duggar kids who live away from home will be okay on their own-they have 3, 1 and 0 kids-it will be way harder for them to lose the TLC money if they had 10 each. It might be hard for Jill and Derick to keep that big house without Jimbob's help, it looks huge and I don't know how much Derick earns, but they could move to a normal 2 or 3 bedroom house and be okay-if they are struggling, Jill could finish the midwife course and start working too. Josh has a good job and presumably earns enough to support 3 kids, I presume he gets money from TLC for when he is filmed, but I think he does okay from his job. Jessa and Ben would both be unemployed, but they would get a share of the Growing Up Duggar book as Jessa wrote some of it, and they both could get jobs and live in a small house together and be okay. There would also be a market for a tell all about the more dysfunctional stuff if any of the Duggar kids needed the money-everyone wants to hear that.

The kids have already been exposed to the real world, and nothing can take that away from them. They will be fine, and it might be beneficial for them to live the rest of their lives in privacy. It might give them the courage to stop toeing the line and move out. What if some of them only aren't because of the show, they don't want viewers judging them or thinking the worst of them, or only keeping going because if they break the TLC contract they wont get filmed and wont get money. The ones who moved out might only be appearing fundie because they think it is what viewers want and what they will get money for, but if there is no TLC money there is no incentive for them to stay if they are truly over the fundie bullshit. I think a decent amount of these kids would prefer it if they weren't being filmed all of the time and having the world watch their private moments.

I do like watching it to snark on it, but there will still be fundies to snark on if there was no 19 Kids and Counting. They will all still exist, and we will keep up on their lives through their social media accounts.

I agree, the Duggars will be fine financially, if the show gets canned. Boob and the Duggars in Arkansas will be fine because we all know Boob has socked away a lot of money. Josh and Anna might have some trouble, if Josh has spent a lot of the TLC money. The Duggars will continue to get some money from book sales. But at this point, I don't know if Boob and Mullet's two books are still selling well.

I think with the Duck Dynasty/Phil scandal, the Robertsons knew that if they got canned, they would be fine. They were already wealthy before their show. The Duggars will be pissed, if the show gets canned because that would mean no more extra money and no other perks like trips. We know Boob wouldn't be willing to take the family on overseas trips without TLC. I think a lot of the domestic trips and outings they have done on the show (e.g skiing, amusement parks, NYC, etc) are the things Boob will not do if TLC is out of the picture. I think the younger kids will probably be in for a shock if they can no longer do expensive trips. The older kids remember life before TLC and they will get used to not traveling around too much.

Just canceling them will turn them into Christian martyrs. They need to pull back the curtain and show the world the dark side of growing up Duggar.

Lori Alexander is pedaling the "save the duggars" petition lol

She will do that. I think Lori is an idiot to fangirl so much over the Duggars. She and the Duggars may have some beliefs in common, but when it comes down to it, they don't have a lot in common and Boob and Mullet wouldn't like her and Ken for several reasons. The Duggars do have fundie fans both hardcore and lite who are well aware of the Duggars' beleifs and the Gothard stuff. But they have managed to have fans who are liberal Christians and non religious. The liberal or non religious fans tend to think of the Duggars as the "always happy ,large family". The Duggars know that without their non fundie fans, their show might not have lasted. The non fundie fans buy the books and go to the book signings and the Duggars are probably glad for that.

I don't think the show will get canned because of these petitions. But I think some of the non fundie viewers of the show will dig deeper and find out about the dark side of the QF lifestyle. As much as I have grown to dislike Vyckie Garrison from NLQ, one thing that I give her credit for is that NLQ helped some people realize that the Duggars and other fundie families aren't so cute or happy.

Im refreshing it every minute or so just to see. It's garnering about 100 per minute at this point. They will have their 100K by noon easily. But what then?

She will do that. I think Lori is an idiot to fangirl so much over the Duggars. She and the Duggars may have some beliefs in common, but when it comes down to it, they don't have a lot in common and Boob and Mullet wouldn't like her and Ken for several reasons. The Duggars do have fundie fans both hardcore and lite who are well aware of the Duggars' beleifs and the Gothard stuff. But they have managed to have fans who are liberal Christians and non religious. The liberal or non religious fans tend to think of the Duggars as the "always happy ,large family". The Duggars know that without their non fundie fans, their show might not have lasted. The non fundie fans buy the books and go to the book signings and the Duggars are probably glad for that.

I don't think the show will get canned because of these petitions. But I think some of the non fundie viewers of the show will dig deeper and find out about the dark side of the QF lifestyle. As much as I have grown to dislike Vyckie Garrison from NLQ, one thing that I give her credit for is that NLQ helped some people realize that the Duggars and other fundie families aren't so cute or happy.

I agree with you. I would prefer the show to die a natural death, which may be years from now. TLC won't cancel it just because of petitions and the ratings have been through the roof this season. But if it will bring awareness of the dark side of this family's beliefs to some people, that is a good thing. Wouldn't it be grand if Jim Bob would open himself up to the media in an uncontrolled setting and be interviewed so he could defend his beliefs? I know it won't happen but I can still wish. I think ole Jim Bob would be demolished in an independent interview. I would love to ask him straight out if he was a believer in Christian Dominionism.

I agree with you. I would prefer the show to die a natural death, which may be years from now. TLC won't cancel it just because of petitions and the ratings have been through the roof this season. But if it will bring awareness of the dark side of this family's beliefs to some people, that is a good thing. Wouldn't it be grand if Jim Bob would open himself up to the media in an uncontrolled setting and be interviewed so he could defend his beliefs? I know it won't happen but I can still wish. I think ole Jim Bob would be demolished in an independent interview. I would love to ask him straight out if he was a believer in Christian Dominionism.

I came here to write my thoughts but I'd mostly be re-stating this. I agree that a petition alone won't sway TLC. IIRC, many people hated Jon and Kate but it wasn't until the ratings suffered that they got cut.

While I don't think the petition will achieve its stated goal of cancellation, at least directly, I do think it will give a huge amount of momentum to the awareness that had already started on how harmful the family's beliefs and, more significantly, their actions are. We've been waiting for years for the spotlight to shine on that, and I think it's finally happening in a big way.

I think at this point, the kids will be fine if the show was cancelled. They aren't going to be pushed onto the brink of starvation and lose everything, as I am sure Jimbob can save enough money for them to keep the house and afford to eat and they will still get money from people buying their books and are still popular enough in the fundie crowd to speak at events.. The Duggar kids who live away from home will be okay on their own-they have 3, 1 and 0 kids-it will be way harder for them to lose the TLC money if they had 10 each. It might be hard for Jill and Derick to keep that big house without Jimbob's help, it looks huge and I don't know how much Derick earns, but they could move to a normal 2 or 3 bedroom house and be okay-if they are struggling, Jill could finish the midwife course and start working too. Josh has a good job and presumably earns enough to support 3 kids, I presume he gets money from TLC for when he is filmed, but I think he does okay from his job. Jessa and Ben would both be unemployed, but they would get a share of the Growing Up Duggar book as Jessa wrote some of it, and they both could get jobs and live in a small house together and be okay. There would also be a market for a tell all about the more dysfunctional stuff if any of the Duggar kids needed the money-everyone wants to hear that.

The kids have already been exposed to the real world, and nothing can take that away from them. They will be fine, and it might be beneficial for them to live the rest of their lives in privacy. It might give them the courage to stop toeing the line and move out. What if some of them only aren't because of the show, they don't want viewers judging them or thinking the worst of them, or only keeping going because if they break the TLC contract they wont get filmed and wont get money. The ones who moved out might only be appearing fundie because they think it is what viewers want and what they will get money for, but if there is no TLC money there is no incentive for them to stay if they are truly over the fundie bullshit. I think a decent amount of these kids would prefer it if they weren't being filmed all of the time and having the world watch their private moments.

I do like watching it to snark on it, but there will still be fundies to snark on if there was no 19 Kids and Counting. They will all still exist, and we will keep up on their lives through their social media accounts.

Has it ever been indicated, vetted or proven that the kids get anything monetary independent of JB? Even from the book? I do agree that the married kids would probably be OK, although their lifestyles would take a hit and J/B would probably have to move in with B's parents.

I don't think these people are going to get canceled. Unless something big happens like honey boo boo or they speak about abortion and birth control. Tlc really doesn't care as long as the ratings are up

I don't think these people are going to get canceled. Unless something big happens like honey boo boo or they speak about abortion and birth control. Tlc really doesn't care as long as the ratings are up

And unfortunately, controversy drives ratings too. Both the famous and the Infamous get attention.

And unfortunately, controversy drives ratings too. Both the famous and the Infamous get attention.

Anyone who comes to the show because of the controversy will run screaming from boredom after 5 minutes.

Ratings are up because of the courtships/marriages, but they won't stay up. I think most people find other peoples' babies pretty boring. After one Dugggar daughter home birth, I'd bet TLC is going to have trouble maintaining decent ratings. The show itself is mostly a snoozefest, the latest roadtrip with the Smuggars being a good case in point.

I may not get voted most popular for this.....but I do not agree with cancelling the show. if someone doesn't like their personal views, don't watch. I can't stand the Kardashian show because it's too vulgar for my personal preference. I think they talk too much sex. It's disgusting to me, so I don't watch it. My sister loves it and I still like her. If you are ok with it, watch it. That's your choice.

I don't agree with the Duggars views on almost everything, religion, education, child rearing, politics etc., and I will tell someone that if they asked me, but I watch the show and it's probably because they are so different. I enjoy the snark and I am free to be snarky, if the Duggars don't like what I say, well, they don't have to read it!

THIS! I wholeheartedly agree. While I understand both sides of the issue, I agree Pea! If everyone threw a fit over one TV show (And with the Duggars, there are/may be many, I'm not saying there aren't.) There would be no Television Shows at all. Reality or Otherwise.

Also, if this is the case, My 5 wives, Sister Wives, as well as any other TV show with a religious undertone should be canceled, even those that are pro-homosexuality. I enjoyed watching when the first started, and over time, I mainly watch for curiosity and if I can't I catch up with Buzzard's posts. They're beginning to wear on my nerves greatly, I won't deny that but am still curious.

To be honest, If you signed the petition, great! And if you lean more toward the Duggars side of ideology, Alright then too. It seems to me that since tolerance/neutrality for anything and everything is what is on everyone's mind more so nowadays, it's only acceptable when you agree with the person demanding tolerance. If you don,t you're labeled a bigot or racist or whackadoodle. Just my 2¢. You don't have to agree with me. :D

* Edited for spelling errors.

19 Kids and Counting needs to be cancelled. The show gives them more revenue to push and lobby for laws that are harmful to many people. Would it be nice if TLC threw back the curtain and a large audience where able to see the nasty, mean wizard behind that curtain? Yes, but the likeliness of that happening is slim to none. As long as they are on the air, TLC is going to portray them as something they are not -- good people.

If this show continues, they will make more money while many people will have no clue what they are really about. That money will be used to try and take away the civil liberties of many people. I cannot, in good conscience, back the continuing of this series knowing what they do with their paychecks and fame associated from it.

As far as the kids are concerned, this show needs to end for their sake. Those cameras are just an extension of JB and Michelle's control and reach. As long as those cameras are on them, the likeliness of escape is slim. Besides, we have witnessed over the years how detrimental reality cameras are to children. A lot of those kids are now displaying a sense of entitlement and narcissism.

I'll be honest. I don't know what that is. I bet JB doesn't either. Unlike JB, I know how to work the google machine and I won't go to hell for learning new things. Off to learn something new.

I predict their empire will crash in October. Things always kick off/go to shit in October (Tool O'Ween - may the sparkle of wonder be all around you, Driscoll...)

They are clanging bell (end)s !!!

:popcorn2:

'

When some of the network news folks decide to do an "expose" of the Duggars and their beliefs, it'll be the end, especially if they feature the more objectionable and horrifying beliefs of those in the Quiverfull/IBLP movement. The vast majority of Americans have gay family members/friends; marriage equality has been the law in many states for years now, and it didn't bring on Armageddon. In other words, the views of Jim Boob and J-Chelle aren't the majority now. They'll try to scream persecution, but as we've all seen with Duck Dynasty, it's not going to help them.

I live in hope that one or more investigative reporter does more than a ninety-second report on what the Duggars truly believe -- Gothard, gender stereotyping, blanket training, ALL OF IT. It'll also be fun to see if there's someone sufficiently enterprising to dig into how the family is paid by TLC as well. One thing's for sure -- if they hadn't come to TLC's attention, they'd still be living in a three-bedroom house.

And I know what Christian Dominionism is. I am willing to be Jim Boob does as well. Even more, I'll bet he supports it. Here's to a journalist who will get Jim Boob and J-Chelle on camera and ask them who really raised their children, for starters.

I predict their empire will crash in October. Things always kick off/go to shit in October (Tool O'Ween - may the sparkle of wonder be all around you, Driscoll...)

They are clanging bell (end)s !!!

:popcorn2:

'

BTW, it's a bit off-topic, but Mars Hill released their "financial audit" yesterday. Uh-huh.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/warrenthro ... obal-fund/

If they get cancelled in the long run, I'm sure their hate will still be directed at the gays as they would see it as a snowball effect. "The gays posted photos and it's wrong and then there was this petition that was so unchristian and so on".

Anyone who comes to the show because of the controversy will run screaming from boredom after 5 minutes.

Ratings are up because of the courtships/marriages, but they won't stay up. I think most people find other peoples' babies pretty boring. After one Dugggar daughter home birth, I'd bet TLC is going to have trouble maintaining decent ratings. The show itself is mostly a snoozefest, the latest roadtrip with the Smuggars being a good case in point.

They will run away screaming from boredom because without the current courtships and weddings - there is nothing left to share - you can only show little kids going to the dentist so many times. Does anyone actually think I cared about this stupid show up until the courtships :D

um no

I for one NEED TO SEE JESSA'S engagement and wedding stuff - I stand by that - then by all means CANCEL THE BLOODY show but until then I HAVE TO see it. We have to suffer through Jill's - now Jessa's will be way more enjoyable.

got it - accept it - moving on after the wedding is an option - NOT before - spread it around

I mean even promote that it is the last season i DON"T care - just let us watch the wedding

:cracking-up: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

I am no leghumper don't know what that even means - except in the sense that I can hump Ben's leg :D

and it is no coincidence that Derick is showing Baby Dilly all over his instagram

Archived