IGNORED

Why Do Fundies Have Blogs?

muffynbear

I was just wondering why fundies have blogs if they consider things like the internet to be "evil"? The Duggars, the Bateses and the Maxwells all have blogs, yet I'm assuming their internet access is severely limited in their household. Why is it okay to have a blog online, yet internet is "evil" and must be restricted? Isn't that a bit of a contradiction? Same thing with t.v. and the Duggars. It's okay for them to have a t.v. show, yet they don't want their children watching t.v. I don't get it.

Edited for spelling.

Because they are attempting, by their great examples, to make people sin less. While the rest of the TV/internet is trying to make people sin more. Therefore they are "salt and light" and it absolves them of the responsibility to meet real people and help them.

Because they are attempting, by their great examples, to make people sin less. While the rest of the TV/internet is trying to make people sin more. Therefore they are "salt and light" and it absolves them of the responsibility to meet real people and help them.

But doesn't it make them seem prideful? They are essentially, bragging about their lifestyle. Isn't that a sin?

But doesn't it make them seem prideful? They are essentially, bragging about their lifestyle. Isn't that a sin?

I think so as so many of them have a "look at me" attitude.

I think, though fundies don't use this terminology, for them it's a case of "the end justifies the means". They can say they are not being prideful, they are showing people how joyful a life in the Lord is...there are about a million dodges out there for them ;)

Single female fundies use their blogs as "dating profiles", to attract young men while seeming to leave it all in the hands of God :roll:

Single female fundies use their blogs as "dating profiles", to attract young men while seeming to leave it all in the hands of God :roll:

Yeah like that girl who 'interviewed' all those Christian guys to get their perspective on dating/courtship and women in general.

I think there are different reasons for fundie blogs. I agree with ladypuglover a lot of times it is mostly "hey look at me." Several of the female bloggers are narcissists who think they are God's gifts to the world and motherhood. I think some of them also have blogs because they think that spreading the "word of God" will combat some of the "ebil" things on the Internet.

Most of these fundies are probably restrictive with their Internet use. Some of them probably use most of their online time to blog. I doubt any of them are using stuff like Netflix to watch movies, or downloading music from iTunes. Some of these bloggers do have Facebook and they probably spend some time on that.

Why does anyone have a blog?

I don't think many fundies think the internet is evil - they seem to have come to realise that the internet is just another mode of media, and you can pick what you get through it.

When the local hardware store donates the front door to the Bates, do they make sure the owner is a godly man, or do they just take the freebie, regardless if the owner is a heathen who sent his kids to public school and lets his daughters wear pants and lets his wife choose whether/when/where she wants to work outside the home.

I think for a certain subset of them, they try to make the blog into an income-generating activity. They're either advertising their own wares (Maxwells, Botkins, various of the stars in the VF orbit) or else putting up coupons and those Amazon sponsored click type ads (including for Vision Forum products) to try to drive revenue while publishing a sort of household-advice or "see, I've been there done that with all these 1349810346 kids, let me show you how" feel amongst all the preaching (including advice on marriage from people only married a year!).

It would be an ideal "work from home" sort of income source for a woman in particular, doing the whole Titus 2 thing over the internet at the same time. "You too can make money from your living room just writing on the internet!"

They're bored, they want the world to look at them and call them special, they want to shout their religious beliefs to the world but have to be meek and submissive in person so on a blog they get to say whatever they want...the reasons, I think, are countless, but all of them come down to the same thing - their belief that they have all the answers and have found the meaning to life.

I think another component is community and camaraderie that come from the blogosphere. A lot of fundie women, especially those in rural areas, spend entire days isolated with their hoard of children, lacking stimulation and adult conversation. Blogs provide a good outlet, forum for discussion, and place to make friends.

1) Fundie booty call (for those in their "season of singleness")

2) Making money (VF and affiliates, Botkins, Maxwells)

3) Narcissism

I think another component is community and camaraderie that come from the blogosphere. A lot of fundie women, especially those in rural areas, spend entire days isolated with their hoard of children, lacking stimulation and adult conversation. Blogs provide a good outlet, forum for discussion, and place to make friends.

This is more what I think about it. It's a sanctioned outlet for them, why wouldn't they blog and connect to people.

Not to mention, the hope that showing their lives influences others to join their type of religion.

The Duggars have a blog for the same reason they have a tv show don't watch tv. They're evangalizers. It's what they do. They want to get the word out and trick as many people into converting to their lifestyle as they possibly can. And "soul-winning" is so important to them that they will do anything to win the game of most converts, including blatant lying.

It is a mixture of pure, unadulterated vanity and the need to show others how great their lives are and how godly they are. Though they are 90% fluff and there is never any facts or truths. Take Mckmama and her housing debacle. You would think that talking about yourself and your family would fall under the "pride" category.....guess it is ok to brag when it is about jeebus.

On the internet, you don't have to see that your friend's headcovering is transparent and be forced to shun her for it.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: LOL!

1) Blogging is a MINISTRY;

2) Blogging is a way ladies can earn extra money without leaving the home;

3) Blogging is a great place to show off a single daughter's, um, countenance.

This.

1) It's a perfect way to be "in the world but not OF it."

2) frumpers, aggressive self-promotion, lack of boundaries, and judgmentalism: a ministry that can't fail.

3) non-electronic Victoriana for real-life scrapbooking is expensive

4) who can find a FIOS connection? for its price is far above rubies.

5) even pets have their own blog these days.

Archived