IGNORED

winter drinks

browncoatslytherin

now that the cold is upon quite a few of us, it's time to bust out the hot drinks to warm up! what's some of y'alls favourites? me, i can't not tamper with something...i add a little peppermint mocha creamer to hot chocolate. :D mmmmmm. actually drinking some right now because i still can't feel my legs or feet from bus riding.

anyone else? bueller?

Hot toddys are wonderful when you've got a scratchy throat. Or even when your throat feels perfectly fine. I'd like to try Hot Buttered Rum sometimes and Mulled Wine. Yeah, I watched It's A Wonderful Life this evening and that's what Clarence orders at Nick's.

Irish coffee is good. but well brewed coffee is always good. The whiskey just helps a little. I also like a nice pot of tea.

ETA: I like cocoa, too, and it's great on a snowy day. There's the old poem about Animal Crackers that starts off:

"Animal Crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think"

Tea all the way. Most often a good black tea with milk and sugar but occasionally I mix it up with other kinds.

I have a set of Torani syrups I use to tinker with drinks. I also like the added bonus of not paying for overpriced drinks. A pump of peach in ginger tea is tasty. I add a dash of sea salt to caramel coffee. I also make my own spice blend for Masala Chai. My favorite hot drink is sorrel.

I really like "Russian tea" which can be hot or cold. There are a lot of good recipes online for it- I make the dry mix version.

I really like "Russian tea" which can be hot or cold. There are a lot of good recipes online for it- I make the dry mix version.

Off to Google Russian tea :techie-typing::techie-typing::techie-typing:

The peach ginger tea sounds delicious. Arby's green peach tea is very good, i accidentally ordered it the other day. Making some hot apple cider right now. :romance-cloud9:

Chai tea - a mixture of cardamon, ginger, cinemon, pepper, clove, fennel and anis. In Germany you can buy the mixtures in shops, but you can also mix the herbs together, roast them very carefully, pour hot water over and let it simmer for 20 min. Add honey and milk and enjoy.

Or hot apple-juice with cinemon. Or coffee with milk foam and cardamon powder on top.

Reverend Ladypants, Do you have or know of a Russian tea recipe which doesn't use instant, powdered drink mixes? Is the flavor profile of your drink black tea, lemon, and orange? I'm considering tinkering with a hot Arnold Palmer with the addition of orange extract.

The Partner makes a fine hot chocolate, with many variations. Here are my two favorites:

Gingerbread hot chocolate

2 c. milk

1 Tbsp. brown sugar

2 Tbsp. molasses

1/4 c. cocoa powder

100 g. dark or bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine

2 tsp. powdered ginger

1 tsp. powdered cinnamon

1/4 tsp. powdered mustard

Heat milk with sugar and molasses gently in a saucepan, stirring often, until just starting to steam. Remove from heat. Add the other ingredients. Blend well (he uses an immersion blender, but you could use a whisk if you are very patient). Reheat slightly if needed. Serves two generously, three just fine.

Chocolate atole (non-dairy)

2 c. water

1/4 c. parched cornmeal (looks like regular cornmeal, but smells like a cross between popcorn and peanut butter)

3/8 c. cocoa powder

3/8 c. brown sugar

1 1/2 oz. dark or bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine

1/8 tsp. salt

Add the water and cornmeal to a saucepan and mix thoroughly so there are no lumps. Heat, stirring often; when it comes to a boil, drop to a low simmer and stir for five minutes, then add the other ingredients and blend well. Again, serves two generously, three just fine. This is actually filling enough to be breakfast on its own.

Hot Buttered Rum.

Start by making your own spiced rum. Get a bottle of light colored rum. Don't spend too much money. Take a cheesecloth and tie up the following: Orange Peel, chinnamon stick, and a tablespoon or so of 5 Spice. Let that infuse for a few days.

For the mix, you will need a pound of butter, a quart of ice cream (vanilla), a package of light brown sugar, a pound of powdered sugar (

This drink is not healthy by the way
.), 2 tablespoons of vanilla, 1.5 tablespoons of cinnamon, and nutmeg. Melt the butter (don't burn it or let it separate. so use very low temperature), mix in sugar, then add in the rest of the ingredients. Stir and refrigerate.

To serve, you take a coffee cup and mix a shot and a splash of the rum and 2 tablespoons (or to taste) of the mix. Fill the rest with hot water, stir, add a splash of lemon (or be fancy and put in a lemon twist) and a cinnamon stick. The sugar ice cream butter mixture should last at least two weeks in the fridge, maybe longer, but it disappears really quickly in my house.

RachelB,Those recipes sound fab! I'm intrigued by the mustard-chocolate combo.

The mustard adds a bit of heat, but I don't think when drinking it (or when eating the gingerbread recipe that TP re-purposed to make this hot chocolate), "Oh, there's mustard in this!"

• 11 months later...

Hot Buttered Rum.

Start by making your own spiced rum. Get a bottle of light colored rum. Don't spend too much money. Take a cheesecloth and tie up the following: Orange Peel, chinnamon stick, and a tablespoon or so of 5 Spice. Let that infuse for a few days.

For the mix, you will need a pound of butter, a quart of ice cream (vanilla), a package of light brown sugar, a pound of powdered sugar (

.), 2 tablespoons of vanilla, 1.5 tablespoons of cinnamon, and nutmeg. Melt the butter (don't burn it or let it separate. so use very low temperature), mix in sugar, then add in the rest of the ingredients. Stir and refrigerate.

To serve, you take a coffee cup and mix a shot and a splash of the rum and 2 tablespoons (or to taste) of the mix. Fill the rest with hot water, stir, add a splash of lemon (or be fancy and put in a lemon twist) and a cinnamon stick. The sugar ice cream butter mixture should last at least two weeks in the fridge, maybe longer, but it disappears really quickly in my house.

:omg:Oh, wow! :wow: This sounds decandent!

(I know this is from last year but I just had to reply!)

Hot Buttered Rum.

:omg:Oh, wow! :wow: This sounds decandent!

(I know this is from last year but I just had to reply!)

I have a set of Torani syrups I use to tinker with drinks. I also like the added bonus of not paying for overpriced drinks. A pump of peach in ginger tea is tasty. I add a dash of sea salt to caramel coffee. I also make my own spice blend for Masala Chai. My favorite hot drink is sorrel.

I had no idea this was from last year til your reply @Paperplate  :brainfart: 

Y'all have some really tasty drinks I cannot wait to add to my repertoire of  tea, lemon and honey warmer-uppers, Irish and Bailey's coffee (not at the same time though...hmmmm) 

I still have this bottle of Turkish Rakı I'm working on that I get out at Thanksgiving and Christmas to share with the family.  It certainly has a unique taste to it - if you're not familiar with it mix it with a fair amount of water before having some.  My aunt described it as almost tasting like licorice.  

I still have this bottle of Turkish Rakı I'm working on that I get out at Thanksgiving and Christmas to share with the family.  It certainly has a unique taste to it - if you're not familiar with it mix it with a fair amount of water before having some.  My aunt described it as almost tasting like licorice.  

Rakı is flavoured with anise and anise has some of the same flavour compounds as licorice (and also fennel). I find that a lot of people don't like it ... Maybe it's one of those things you hate or love.

Oh, and you should all totally be drinking Glühwein (mulled wine).

Take some wine (works with white wine too!), mulling spices, fruit (oranges, lemons, limes, apples, whatever you like ...) and sugar (or honey, syrup ...). Mix and warm: Done! Super delicious!

If you don't like it too strong, add some juice (apple, grape, orange), or fruit or spice tea. For some extra punch, add one (or several) shots of rum, amaretto or whatever you like.

Just to prove that I´m a know-it-all: Mixing Raki with water is quite common in Turkey itself. It´s called "Lion´s Milk" :kitty-cussing:

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be sucking this down all Christmas day : https://veganfoodaddict.wordpress.com/2012/12/16/holiday-chocolate-peppermint-martini/

It's chilled, not warm, but since I'll be toasting myself in front of the fire all day, I'll probably be wanting a refreshing beverage. 

And we drink a lot of mulled wine in the winter as a family. Yum!

Archived