IGNORED

So why aren't Jana and Jinger married? According to JB

DGayle

At this point, if the Duggar parents felt that putting cameras in the bathrooms would make TLC give them more money, I think they would do it without question. Money is their god now.

Please don't give them any ideas! I already am disgusted with the number of times they've shown children puking or having accidents. No bathroom cams please! :pray:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If money were their God, they would curb some of the crazier fundie beliefs and be less political. They could go a bit more mainstream and widen their audience and gain much more support.

I think they like money, but I do believe they care a lot about spreading their "Word" more than the money.

If money were their God, they would curb some of the crazier fundie beliefs and be less political. They could go a bit more mainstream and widen their audience and gain much more support.

I think they like money, but I do believe they care a lot about spreading their "Word" more than the money.

True, however they'd be furious if the money ended because of being axed because of rubbish they said...

That's also a niche market of devout followers who they can fall back on for support if the TV money dries up.

Even aside from minors, does it really do any good to speculate about anyone's sexuality? It's harmful for people to "come out" on anyone's timeline but their own. It is generally hurtful to hear other people speculate about you, as if they know your sexual preferences better than you do.

Plus, it really reinforces stereotypes - the same gender and sexuality stereotypes we hate the Duggars for furthering - to assume that a more feminine man must be gay or a more masculine woman must be a lesbian or that people who are not out are in denial. With the Duggars, obviously if any single one of them was gay, they would not be in an especially safe place to come out, so even putting the topic on the table is just kind of distasteful IMO.

100% agreed. Plus there's been a lot of rumors circulating the Duggars recently that cite FJ or even parody blogs as a source. Someone could think what they're reading is a fact and post an article saying so-and-so is gay, someone close to the family can read it, and the person would be in trouble. I just wouldn't want someone to feel unsafe based on a misplaced speculation I wrote on a message board.

I've seen a post a user has made before where they link photos of Jinger's ''lesbian swag'', but then go on another board and say that speculating on someone's sexuality is wrong. I just think some posts (and things certain users have done) are really distasteful.

I wouldn't read too much into this since I think Jim Bob felt the need to give reasons but honestly if all four of the oldest girls married the Duggars would loose a lot of their labor. While the children are getting older somebody still needs to cook and clean that house. Joy can't do everything and Hannie is still rather young and hasn't been raised to be a slave. I would imagine in a few years when Hannie is a little older and perhaps after a couple of the older boys have left Jinger will be married off. I think they'll hold onto Jana as long as possible. Jinger is also fairly young. Even if she married in about three years she would be the same age as Jill at marriage.

I think it's really, really sad that J.B. is feeling compelled to have to answer a zillion questions about why his 20 and 24 year old daughters aren't either married, or close to it. :angry-banghead: and I doubt most of the questions are coming from fans, but more from people who, presumably, criticize their general belief that the only valid life for an adult woman is to be a wife and mother.

If all four if the YOUNG Adult daughters were married and having babies I would bet there would be the same outcry. Except it would be that the Parents pushed them all into wife and mom mode before they were ready.

In their world, where liking a boy doesn't mean a little dating and maybe living together for a bit -- but means likely marriage -- I would hope that they are extra careful about deciding someone really appeals to them.

Even if they weren't fundamentalists - it seems about average, to me, for half of early to mid twenty something's who aren't college bound to be in a serious relationship and thinking about weddings and/or babies. Not for all of them to be in that mode yet. And, if anything, they are a little on the young side -- but since they live in a cheap, rural area ( plus have a lot of money) , I think that's to be expected.

I think it's really, really sad that J.B. is feeling compelled to have to answer a zillion questions about why his 20 and 24 year old daughters aren't either married, or close to it. :angry-banghead: and I doubt most of the questions are coming from fans, but more from people who, presumably, criticize their general belief that the only valid life for an adult woman is to be a wife and mother.

If all four if the YOUNG Adult daughters were married and having babies I would bet there would be the same outcry. Except it would be that the Parents pushed them all into wife and mom mode before they were ready.

In their world, where liking a boy doesn't mean a little dating and maybe living together for a bit -- but means likely marriage -- I would hope that they are extra careful about deciding someone really appeals to them.

Even if they weren't fundamentalists - it seems about average, to me, for half of early to mid twenty something's who aren't college bound to be in a serious relationship and thinking about weddings and/or babies. Not for all of them to be in that mode yet. And, if anything, they are a little on the young side -- but since they live in a cheap, rural area ( plus have a lot of money) , I think that's to be expected.

JB feels compelled because the entire family is under his headship. They walk the path that he has blazed-they mimic his life and his words.

JB and Michelle married at 19 and 17...Jana and JD at nearly 25 are obviously outside the dots, in Duggarville.

It's all on JB as the headship-

JB feels compelled because the entire family is under his headship. They walk the path that he has blazed-they mimic his life and his words.

JB and Michelle married at 19 and 17...Jana and JD at nearly 25 are obviously outside the dots, in Duggarville.

It's all on JB as the headship-

Except the pressure doesn't seem to be coming from him -- it seems to be coming from outsiders, like people here. Which for people who generally consider themselves feminists - seems very odd. JB marrying very young obviously made it more likely for him to approve of young marriage, but I don't think that's the same as expecting or requiring young marriage.

I think the celebrity in the case of courtship is probably a double edged sword. On the one hand they have a much wider pool of young men who are interested. And they have the financial security to not feel compelled to jump on the first man who passes by - just to get out of overcrowded conditions and a likely inability for their parents to indefinitely support grown

adults.

But on the other hand, many of those men would be creepers or con artists of one kind or another, and even with the more ' normal' ones it would likely be hard to sort out how much they are drawn to them as actual people- and how much is the celebrity or just their public image.

Plus I think people forget that while they don't have official jobs -- they are actually working women with careers. They are in show business. They appear on the show. Prep for the show. Arrange wardrobe and styling and traveling details for the show. Plus do personal appearances and interviews and write books and all of that. That's a job. So having that, in addition to being sister mom to a small child and older kid - means they probably aren't all that bored.

Except the pressure doesn't seem to be coming from him -- it seems to be coming from outsiders, like people here. Which for people who generally consider themselves feminists - seems very odd. JB marrying very young obviously made it more likely for him to approve of young marriage, but I don't think that's the same as expecting or requiring young marriage.

I think the celebrity in the case of courtship is probably a double edged sword. On the one hand they have a much wider pool of young men who are interested. And they have the financial security to not feel compelled to jump on the first man who passes by - just to get out of overcrowded conditions and a likely inability for their parents to indefinitely support grown

adults.

But on the other hand, many of those men would be creepers or con artists of one kind or another, and even with the more ' normal' ones it would likely be hard to sort out how much they are drawn to them as actual people- and how much is the celebrity or just their public image.

Plus I think people forget that while they don't have official jobs -- they are actually working women with careers. They are in show business. They appear on the show. Prep for the show. Arrange wardrobe and styling and traveling details for the show. Plus do personal appearances and interviews and write books and all of that. That's a job. So having that, in addition to being sister mom to a small child and older kid - means they probably aren't all that bored.

A job usually is effort exerted and skills provided in exchange for a paycheck. Do the adult Duggars still living at home get a TLC paycheck? If so, can you source that fact, thanks. I have never heard that...otherwise, the Duggar adults would qualify as volunteers.

I agree! There are a lot of people on here who want Jana and Jinger to be married. And I would imagine if you got a group of Duggar leg-humpers it would be even worse! I think with all the talk about possible options Jim Bob felt the need to speak out and say something. I really don't see another courtship especially with a girl happening soon. I think Jim Bob is hoping by speaking out and explaining why they aren't courting/married yet it'll stop some of the questions. I don't think he's pushing Jana or Jinger to court/marry although I do think he's pushing JD.

A job usually is effort exerted and skills provided in exchange for a paycheck. Do the adult Duggars still living at home get a TLC paycheck? If so, can you source that fact, thanks. I have never heard that...otherwise, the Duggar adults would qualify as volunteers.

None of us have the slightest clue one way or the other if any of them get separate checks. We don't even know how much the family as a whole gets paid. We don't know if they get separate checks because it's a TLC contract requirement, but they then hand them over to their parents. Or they are paid all as a group for tax and write off and contract reasons - but then are handed separate checks by their parents. Or if it all goes in to one fund with some put into savings for each kid to start a business. Or if it all goes into the family pot for expenses. None of us have the faintest idea.

Also, that's a really, really limited definition of a job. There are thousands of small family businesses where adult children work and live at home with the money pooled. Are those young people who work in family- owned restaurants, landscaping, construction, grocery stores, plumbing, farms, etc not really working?

"Volunteering" implies, to me, something that you do that you get no financial or lifestyle return for - except maybe experience for future employment. Whether they get a paycheck or not the Duggar daughters are certainly getting an economic return. They aren't crowded into a tiny house with a gazillion siblings in hand-me-down frumpers. Or even crowded into a tiny house eating ramen with a gazillion roommates while they work at Wal-Mart. They have a very cushy standard of living, and that's due to their work on the show.

None of us have the slightest clue one way or the other if any of them get separate checks. We don't even know how much the family as a whole gets paid. We don't know if they get separate checks because it's a TLC contract requirement, but they then hand them over to their parents. Or they are paid all as a group for tax and write off and contract reasons - but then are handed separate checks by their parents. Or if it all goes in to one fund with some put into savings for each kid to start a business. Or if it all goes into the family pot for expenses. None of us have the faintest idea.

Also, that's a really, really limited definition of a job. There are thousands of small family businesses where adult children work and live at home with the money pooled. Are those young people who work in family- owned restaurants, landscaping, construction, grocery stores, plumbing, farms, etc not really working?

"Volunteering" implies, to me, something that you do that you get no financial or lifestyle return for - except maybe experience for future employment. Whether they get a paycheck or not the Duggar daughters are certainly getting an economic return. They aren't crowded into a tiny house with a gazillion siblings in hand-me-down frumpers. Or even crowded into a tiny house eating ramen with a gazillion roommates while they work at Wal-Mart. They have a very cushy standard of living, and that's due to their work on the show.

So are kids going to school working? They live at home, some in palatial style. How about kids away at college, living in the dorms?

And if one of the kids is working, are they not all working?

Why is OK (I think you are intimating that it might be) for the Duggar kids to have no individual protections in place (privacy, safety, educational or monetary) but the law has deemed that it is NOT ok for children working in the TV industry outside of "reality" TV without those very individual protections in place?

I need for someone who supports this, or who sees it as A-OK, to explain the glaring inconsistencies/hypocrisies.

Lots of people want to believe that the kids, particularly the adult kids who could be off living their own lives and making their own choices, IF they had the funds that they've earned for the last 10 years, so much so that they keep mentioning the kids getting paychecks and having their own money, yet no one has been able to find any substantiation to that notion.

Talk about spreading false rumors- that's as big as any.

If everyone over 18 is getting their own paycheck and is choosing to stay under JBs headship at the TTH, that drastically changes things

I think until someone can provide proof that all the adults actually draw individual paychecks, we need to stop making that statement- We have all seen how statements made here get passed on as fact.

That just makes it even more horrible what Jim Bob is doing to his kids. They have the appearance of freedom and perks of being in a wealthy family without the choice to do what they would want or pursue any talent that doesn't fit in a very strict lifestyle. Like a work camp with invisible bars. The kids are even forced to believe what their parents believe.

That just makes it even more horrible what Jim Bob is doing to his kids. They have the appearance of freedom and perks of being in a wealthy family without the choice to do what they would want or pursue any talent that doesn't fit in a very strict lifestyle. Like a work camp with invisible bars. The kids are even forced to believe what their parents believe.

I forget where I read or heard the phrase, "the hardest prison to leave is the one with a open door"; it seems to me to apply to the Duggars adult daughters and sons.

So are kids going to school working? They live at home, some in palatial style. How about kids away at college, living in the dorms? Last time I checked there is a whole entire set of words to describe people who are attending school. It's called being a student. When they go away and live in a dorm, they are going to school to study. They may be working hard at their studies, their parents may feel that their job at that point in their lives is to study hard. But generally people use the words " student" and " studying" to describe the actions of people whose primary occupation is obtaining an education.

And if one of the kids is working, are they not all working? Ummm.......yeah. That would be my point. The Duggar children are all working on the show. It's their family business. Obviously some of them work on it more than others -- depending on age, ability, storyline etc. In some episodes or seasons there are a few of them who barely fall into the category of being an extra as far as screen time, while others are basically carrying the entire series -- but they are all involved to some extent ( except, I think, Josiah the past season) Even the ones who don't have much exposure on the show are working in the family business quite a bit - the younger kids by being in multiple group scenes and appearing at staged events, the older ones by also taking on responsibilities for styling, scheduling, social media etc.

Why is OK (I think you are intimating that it might be) for the Duggar kids to have no individual protections in place (privacy, safety, educational or monetary) but the law has deemed that it is NOT ok for children working in the TV industry outside of "reality" TV without those very individual protections in place? I never said the laws governing the minors were ok. I said that the reason it's likely exempt is because it falls under the family business category. It's not because they are on television that they don't have protections, it's because family businesses aren't subject to the same child labor laws. I didn't make those regulations, it's just what they are.

Personally, I think there are benefits and drawbacks to family businesses being in a different category - and in most businesses it boils down to how the parents treat the children if it's a bad thing or a good thing. Overall, NOT related to Reality Television, I think it's good that kids can work in a small business with their family for a multitude of reasons - but it certainly is a situation that can be exploited by crappy parents. Or by parents who do piece work and need the help of even very young children to survive. Because Reality Television really is a different issue than working in the family restaurant, some states have implemented laws to cover the kids. I don't think that's a bad thing at all ( if a little silly to focus on, since it impacts such a tiny number of people. But they are visible so they get attention).

Basically though, the reason the rules for kids in reality shows are different than the rules for kids in movies or scripted shows is the same reason you can make your own kid vacuum your living room, but you can't make the neighbors kid vacuum your living room.

There are an infinitesimally small number of children with ongoing reality shows focused on their families every week and they are scattered across different states. Those are the kids who are working long hours and having their entire childhoods run around a television show. Unless a problem comes up and gets lots of media attention - i.e. Krazy Kate - individual state legislatures aren't going to regulate it.

I need for someone who supports this, or who sees it as A-OK, to explain the glaring inconsistencies/hypocrisies.

Lots of people want to believe that the kids, particularly the adult kids who could be off living their own lives and making their own choices, IF they had the funds that they've earned for the last 10 years, so much so that they keep mentioning the kids getting paychecks and having their own money, yet no one has been able to find any substantiation to that notion.

I think you have a really distorted view of how most young adults live. Currently half of young adults aged 18 - 24 live at home with their parents. Half. If you add in the 20% or so who live in the extended adolescence of a college campus -- you only have about 30% who are living as independent adults at their age.

Talk about spreading false rumors- that's as big as any.

If everyone over 18 is getting their own paycheck and is choosing to stay under JBs headship at the TTH, that drastically changes things

I think until someone can provide proof that all the adults actually draw individual paychecks, we need to stop making that statement- We have all seen how statements made here get passed on as fact.

I don't recall anyone, ever, saying that they are sure the over 18 year olds get their own pay checks. I've said we really have no idea what their financial structure is. Because we don't. All we actually " know" is that they 1) Live a fairly affluent lifestyle that they didn't have before the show - the older daughters are seen to benefit from this by living in a nice home, buying new clothes, having gadgets like iPhones, travel, etc. 2) That the two oldest sons were set up in small businesses 3) that the one son in law who needed income is making money either through JB ( although I think that's just a plot point) or through the show and related enterprises and 4) That each child has housing provided to them when they get married.

That's it. We don't know if JB has guaranteed them all a house if they stay but nothing if they go, we don't know if they each get a paycheck but are guilted into turning it over, or if they have one massive joint account with 10 debit cards. We don't know if a portion is paid towards room and board and they keep the rest, or it all goes in and they get a $5 Starbucks card weekly and that's it. Or if they keep the whole freaking thing and spend every dime at the tanning booth.we just don't know.

Also I think it's really silly to say it's okay to speculate about one perceived financial structure ( JB getting one check and controlling every cent) but if any other possibility is mentioned it's spreading mis truths that could be mistaken as fact :roll: .

Archived