IGNORED

How Long Before Jill Starts to Realize All She's Missed?

LongDogMom

Jill realizing what she's missed/ Derick realizing how sheltered she was isn't going to be the big dramatic thing IMO. It's going to be a slow process. Like being at a seafood place and Derick jokingly saying "fish are friends, not food" and Jill not getting it- and then the two second awkwardness that will follow after Jill doesn't laugh and get such a common pop culture reference

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree. Compare her midsection in this photo to the one in the opening of their current show. Michelle is wearing an orange top in the opening. She barely has any definition from her chest to her hips in the show's opening. She now has a waist- The photos from Jill's wedding are also more chiseled.

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you're talking about. In the picture you linked to she appears to be wearing a large coat which makes her upper half look bulky and completely obscures any view of her waist.

. Like being at a seafood place and Derick jokingly saying "fish are friends, not food" and Jill not getting it- and then the two second awkwardness that will follow after Jill doesn't laugh and get such a common pop culture reference

Well, I'll admit it... I don't understand that reference, either... :lol:

Well, I'll admit it... I don't understand that reference, either... :lol:

I think it's from Finding Nemo? Maybe? I definitely wouldn't get it if someone just said it in random conversation, though, so...

but the point is Jill may be lacking in common generational pop references. My kids and their friends were all huge into the tv show Arrested Development and they quote lines from the show all the time.

Likewise with Harry Potter. Our whole family were die hard PotterHeads. My kids literally grew up on those books and I credit JK Rowling with my son's love of reading. HP pop references are common for kids on up into young adult hood. My daughter's college friends still will dress up as Hermione at halloween. If Derick brought Jill to a grown up costume party, she would probably not "get" half of the costumes because she is unfamiliar with much of pop culture. There was a TH once where JB and M both indicated the kids would probably not know who the Beatles were. Derick seems like the kind of guy who would know the Beatles are, and probably listened to them at some point.

I don't see that as a particularly big deal. I couldn't quote you anything from Arrested Development except that 'I've made a huge mistake' line. I also know people who never read Harry Potter and know very little about it. I can't see not recognizing pop culture references being a huge issue in their marriage.

After seeing Michelle turn into a crazed animal getting her nails done, or enviously looking at wedding dresses with her daughter, who she seemed to think is a delusional idiot for not sharing her obsession with "bling," I can't say that a Coach bag surprises me these days.

Give it 5-10 years when she's in full on freakout mode as the youngest girls become teenagers and she's going to be bedazzled head to toe. Her hair will probably be so big by then she'll have to duck to get through the door. I think she's started to lose it because all of her daughters are young and beautiful...and fertile...

I really wonder about Michelle and how she's going to handle not being the one pregnant, getting all the attention for herself. That has been her *thing* for a loooong time and without it I really think she's going to have some issues. In fact, her and JB have seen themselves as the center of that show for creating all these kids and suddenly that isn't happening anymore, and with the older girls leaving and getting pregnant and having lives of their own, suddenly they might have to step up and parent. Despite all they say about grandbabies, there was a lot of talk about how Michelle acted when Anna was giving birth. Michelle really does not like not being the center of it all and I think she's going to get more and more desperate and weird as time goes by. A lot is going to change over the next five or so years I think and it might not be a good thing for the kids who are left. I guess we'll see.

[align=left][/align]

I don't see that as a particularly big deal. I couldn't quote you anything from Arrested Development except that 'I've made a huge mistake' line. I also know people who never read Harry Potter and know very little about it. I can't see not recognizing pop culture references being a huge issue in their marriage.

i agree, that would really kill some relationships, but i don't think Derick would mind much. Maybe they could joke about Makaziville.

I really wonder about Michelle and how she's going to handle not being the one pregnant, getting all the attention for herself. That has been her *thing* for a loooong time and without it I really think she's going to have some issues. In fact, her and JB have seen themselves as the center of that show for creating all these kids and suddenly that isn't happening anymore, and with the older girls leaving and getting pregnant and having lives of their own, suddenly they might have to step up and parent. Despite all they say about grandbabies, there was a lot of talk about how Michelle acted when Anna was giving birth. Michelle really does not like not being the center of it all and I think she's going to get more and more desperate and weird as time goes by. A lot is going to change over the next five or so years I think and it might not be a good thing for the kids who are left. I guess we'll see.

I think it will be interesting to see how both Michelle and the show deal with the fact that Michelle no longer has the responsibility for 19 kids, yet as the older girls move away, Michelle, as the lead female, is left to parent the younger kids and care for the home. No longer the center of attention and expected to step up and do the work that she had been shifting to her oldest girls, Michelle may very well become one, unhappy, menopausal camper. And for this reason, I think Jana and Jinger will be without courtships until Josie is much older.

I think it's from Finding Nemo? Maybe? I definitely wouldn't get it if someone just said it in random conversation, though, so...

I appreciate the information. I hope that at least I would understand that his joke was a pop reference of some kind... Jill might not even understand THAT, poor thing.

Jill lacks cultural literacy but I doubt that Derrick

Does. I do wonder what they talk about too. I bet that Derrick stays on top of current events/world news of which Jill has not had much exposure to, SOTDRT! He may be spending a lot of time educating her of which she will accept since he is her headship now. He seems like the kind of person who would enjoy a cerebral conversation. I just do not see Derrick diving into a Quiverfull lifestyle. I hope with time he will loosen up Jill and in the end I see them as rock hard conservative Christians vs fundie. He is new to Duggarville but once he gets his feet wet and has his bearings I do not see him kowtowing to JB.

Does. I do wonder what they talk about too. I bet that Derrick stays on top of current events/world news of which Jill has not had much exposure to, SOTDRT! He may be spending a lot of time educating her of which she will accept since he is her headship now. He seems like the kind of person who would enjoy a cerebral conversation. I just do not see Derrick diving into a Quiverfull lifestyle. I hope with time he will loosen up Jill and in the end I see them as rock hard conservative Christians vs fundie. He is new to Duggarville but once he gets his feet wet and has his bearings I do not see him kowtowing to JB.

I hope that you are correct. :)

I would hope you are right about the bolded but I do believe in "start as you mean to go on" and Derick has been a beta male to JB's alpha, changing that role will cause a lot of difficulty with Jill as she will undoubtedly expect, in her heart, that Derick will always toe the Duggar line.

It would have been wise for Derick and Jill to politely refuse the McMansion and instead live in a home that Derick could afford on his working salary, but it is probably hard to refuse the perks of celebrity.

Given that Derick sought JB out as a prayer partner, I would say that he looks to JB as a role model or at least a mentor of some sort.

I agree he will have some doubts, but I think it will take him awhile to act on them.

And yes, while Derick would probably be fine if Jill started wearing slacks, changed her hair, or even got a part time job, I just don't see those things as really all that significant. The girls wearing pants, only a very small thing, in the grand scheme of all that is wrong with their QF beliefs., IMO

Oops! Sorry for the confusion. I'm only 20 so I grew up during the Pixar movie craze and I feel like most of my friends would get that. But as someone up thread said, I was using that to reference just general pop culture references and that's just the first that came to mind ;)

Well pop culture references will vary by region, age group, and social network. My daughter and her friends could make all kinds of pop references to Arrested Development, HP, The Office, most Disney Movies, Boy Bands, mainstream rap Stars, etc.

My son and his friends would have some of the same ones, but theirs would include action movies, games and sports.

My kids both loved Finding Nemo and they probably would have gotten your reference immediately.

I think the main point though is that Jill will have a lot of things that she doesn't "get" because of how she was raised. But, if she is allowed to assimilate more in to normal culture, I think she will catch up pretty quickly, or at least recognize when a pop culture reference has been made.

Or, it is possible that they are not as sheltered as we think. They obviously follow fashion to a degree, and have made modifications in their wardrobe away from the prairie dresses. They seem to be up on make-up trends, and seem competent with technology like iPhones, iPads, computers, etc. So maybe they have been in "of the world" more than what is let on in the show.

While I hope what everyone is saying about Derick is true, I don't know if I believe it all just based on the fact that he went to a real school and didn't grow up in Gothard's cult.

What about him makes you guys think he likes to have intellectual conversations? Or stay up-to-date on pop culture? The closest thing I saw to pop culture was that he followed a "christian" comedian on twitter.

TBH, he kinda reminds me of the accountants that keeps trying to hire Ben on Parks and Rec.

Oops! Sorry for the confusion. I'm only 20 so I grew up during the Pixar movie craze and I feel like most of my friends would get that. But as someone up thread said, I was using that to reference just general pop culture references and that's just the first that came to mind ;)

I'm in my mid-30's and I totally got it.

I think she's missed out on a lot. It's not just pop culture references, but politics, music, other religions, college (joining a sorority??), friends with no familial or religious affiliation, sleeping in a room alone to explore her own body. The list is endless. I can only hope that Derick will help expand her mind and will be a careful lover that will help her discover her, um, potential. I hope that as an OSU grad, he'll help her to realize the big world that awaits.

I do have to say, I'm kind of glad that Jill and Jessa are getting married so close to each other and can compare notes and confide in each other about things. Right now, who else could they go to? Michelle? Oh, hell no.

It will start small - going to restaurants that may play "current" music, getting a television and watching more than fox news, maybe even watching 19KAC and seeing the commercials. The products will come, she will try new food and places, and slowly her small world will become a bit larger. As she has the baby she will seek out parenting groups and meet other women, see videos that arent so terrible (veggie tales beget disney)... maybe even a trip to disney in the future. I dont see her ballroom dancing anytime in the future, but she wont be stopping baby dilly from jiggling to music if it suits him.

The differences in the way they were raised will certainly be an issue in their marriage and how they raise their children. I think Derrick realized he was getting into a family vastly different from Jill's long before he proposed. He's not that stupid. Hopefully he will be able to open her mind and heart to other ways and the fact that they are not all evil. Until then she needs to remember: Derrick is her headship and it's his decisions that count. She is just supposed to smile, nod, and worship him and his decisions. I wonder if she can do all that when things get hot and stay sweet.

veggie tales beget disney

I found out recently that Veggie Tales was owned by Dreamworks.... so, perhaps something a little darker, like Shrek?? Quelle horreur!

I think it will be interesting to see how both Michelle and the show deal with the fact that Michelle no longer has the responsibility for 19 kids, yet as the older girls move away, Michelle, as the lead female, is left to parent the younger kids and care for the home. No longer the center of attention and expected to step up and do the work that she had been shifting to her oldest girls, Michelle may very well become one, unhappy, menopausal camper. And for this reason, I think Jana and Jinger will be without courtships until Josie is much older.

I wonder about Michelle taking care of the house. Honestly, I don't think it will ever be on her back. I think she'll be the type of mother who calls up her older, married children, invites them over for pizza or dinner cooked by the youngest girls (we all know Michelle ain't cooking the food), and she'll say oh sweetheart, it's so good to see you and the grandbabies. As long as you're here, would you mind cleaning out the spare room/fixing the car/bathing the pets/doing the yardwork?

If she can't locate one or more of her kids to do it, she'll call her fundie friends and get them to send THEIR children over to do things, such as with the Query kids helping with the Duggar kids' school work.

Besides, obviously, the way she dresses and does her hair, I think Michelle looks pretty incredible for both her age and how many kids she has. The only thing I really notice as a negative change about her lately is that she's orange, but what else is new with the Duggars? But the nail episode was truly bizarre. I stand by thinking something is seriously imbalanced with Michelle and it makes me kind of concerned not only for her, but for Jim Bob and her kids.

I agree that Michelle will probably not be stepping up and doing tons of hard work all the sudden, but I disagree that she's going to be able to rely on her adult kids to continue to pick up the slack. First off, I really think Jessa, and even Jill, will have absolutely no interest in going back to that house to be chore slaves. John David definitely has no interest in it, and Josiah seems to have been mostly gone. Who knows what Joseph does? We never see him anyway.

Second, I don't think she and JB will be able to stop Jinger and Jana from courting, if they decide they want to. I know they give the illusion that JB is in control, but I'm doubtful.

Finally, I think the most likely scenario is going to be a bunch of teenage boys running around doing whatever they want once Jana and Jinger are gone, maybe cleaning an occasional toilet, while Michelle has a nervous breakdown and the littlest girls are emotionally neglected (like usual). The kids will get mercury poisoning from eating bbq tuna sandwiches every day while Jim Bob tries to keep it together.

And I predict a houseful of brooding, angsty girls by the time Josie's hitting her teens. I can't even imagine what Michelle will be like when the only kids left in the house are teenage girls and she can't keep them busy with baby rearing. It won't be pretty.

And I predict a houseful of brooding, angsty girls by the time Josie's hitting her teens. I can't even imagine what Michelle will be like when the only kids left in the house are teenage girls and she can't keep them busy with baby rearing. It won't be pretty.

Can you imagine how creepy it would be to be Jenny and Jordan alone with geriatric attention whores and precious Josie? Even with their older sisters and their families over all the time, they're looking at some sad-ass game nights with the 'rents. Hopefully they'll be able to escape to some older sibling's home by then. Otherwise - urghhh. :ew:

Can you imagine how creepy it would be to be Jenny and Jordan alone with geriatric attention whores and precious Josie? Even with their older sisters and their families over all the time, they're looking at some sad-ass game nights with the 'rents. Hopefully they'll be able to escape to some older sibling's home by then. Otherwise - urghhh. :ew:

Sadly, I predict that there will be a couple divorces or deaths by that point that create grandbabies that need attention. It's a neverending cycle.

Archived