IGNORED

How many fundies can't name all their kids? I'll start:Kelly

DGayle

http://abcnews.go.com/US/evangelical-ba ... d=12648595

When asked to name her children, Kelly said, "Oh, Daddy's good at that. His memory's better than mine." Gil Bates easily rattled off all 18 names.

There's a lot of other WTF in that article, but that part burned itself in my memory.

What other fundies have weaseled out of naming their kids?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an relative who used to argue that he only had 13 kids when he actually had 14. He rattled off thirteen names and consistently forgot the same one. Yep,children are precious all right.

I birthed three and raised five. There were times I would look dead at the child in question and have NO idea what their name was. I STILL call my sons by the wrong names...they do not look or sound anything alike.

When the kids were little, I would run down the list of names, A, T, J, S, & D, along with the dogs and cats names...I always attributed it to "momheimers"...having too many kids and too few surviving brain cells.

I birthed three and raised five. There were times I would look dead at the child in question and have NO idea what their name was. I STILL call my sons by the wrong names...they do not look or sound anything alike.

When the kids were little, I would run down the list of names, A, T, J, S, & D, along with the dogs and cats names...I always attributed it to "momheimers"...having too many kids and too few surviving brain cells.

:lol: Momheimers is so true. Sometimes i call my daughter by my sister's name. (A sister that's 11 years younger than me).

:lol: Momheimers is so true. Sometimes i call my daughter by my sister's name. (A sister that's 11 years younger than me).

Unlike our dead, braindead fundies, I doubt your kids are your 24/7 career. We non-fundy moms have other stuff happening in our lives that we're allowed to think about. I'm not sure there's any excuse when your life is, 24/7, the kids kids kids kids KIDS, because Bible and God.

I do this, too! My oldest gets called my sister's name often!

I only have 4 kids, but I still call them the wrong names. Lately, I've even been calling a girl the boy's name on accident. :)

My mum does this, too, usually when she's distracted or the child in question is misbehaving. It's a different situation from Kelly, though (who was being *interviewed*), because if you asked my mum when she's *not* trying to watch the stove, keep the cat out of the potatoes, and make sure one or more children are ready to go to some extracurricular or other, she could tell you not only our first names, but middle names, birthdays, favourite hobbies, etc.

Edit: I noticed this in the article:

Gil Bates runs a tree service and is not wealthy. So how do they afford to feed all their children?

"Honestly, God just directed our steps into tree work. Tree work you can make money with less time and turned out to be a blessing," said Gil Bates.

Eighteen-year-old Lawson is in charge of food shopping. He says he goes to Walmart almost every other day. The bill for one trip is more than $250.

Translation: Lawson does the shopping because he's the one paying.

I get the wrong name trying to call kids all the time. It's just a brain fart situation. I can give you the full names, birthdates, likes, dislikes and medical history of all nine of my children off the top of my head--and so can their dad.

I have NO patience with the idea that it's okay to have so many children you can't remember them all. Poppycock. That's lazy and clearly too many children!

my mum did the same thing, and apparently so did her grandma. when great-grandma did it with her daughters, they said she was calling roll. :lol:

I totally thought you meant fundies who name their kids stupid things: looking you, Duggars, Bradrick!, Phillips, HEISTHEWAY's parents!

I call my daughter ANABEL by my dead dog, NELLIEBELLE's name all the time. I even call her by the dog's nicknames. But I had Nell for 17 years. The kid's only 3.

I think calling out the wrong name when calling for a kid is normal. When asked the names of your kids and declining because you have a bad memory? Problematic.

I guess if you're naming off a dozen or so, you can miss one in the process, but it's still shockingly sad. We gave our kids names that had deep meanings for us. I can't imagine just randomly forgetting one. Then again, we only have three.

But I HAVE called my kids the wrong names. WHILE looking them dead in the eye. I've also listed off all three of them (when someone was in trouble) before finally just giving up with, "You know who you are and what you did!" Heh.

It's one thing to confuse kids, I have only three and I have called them all by the wrong name at some point. A time or two some other random name that came out of nowhere.

BUT... for Kelly to not be able to list off the names of her children, huh? How could you not just roll through the birth order?

That's weird.

I guess if you're naming off a dozen or so, you can miss one in the process, but it's still shockingly sad. We gave our kids names that had deep meanings for us. I can't imagine just randomly forgetting one. Then again, we only have three.

But I HAVE called my kids the wrong names. WHILE looking them dead in the eye. I've also listed off all three of them (when someone was in trouble) before finally just giving up with, "You know who you are and what you did!" Heh.

I have done and STILL do that...and my kids range in age from 24 to 32 now.

Hmmmm... Zach, Michaella, Erin, Lawson, Nathan, Alyssa, Tori, Trace, Carlin, Josie, Katie, Warden, Jackson, Isaiah, Addallee, Callie, Ellie, Judson, Jeb.

If I can name all the Bates kids despite only occassionally reading about them on here, what's Kelly's excuse?

Hmmmm... Zach, Michaella, Erin, Lawson, Nathan, Alyssa, Tori, Trace, Carlin, Josie, Katie, Warden, Jackson, Isaiah, Addallee, Callie, Ellie, Judson, Jeb.

If I can name all the Bates kids despite only occassionally reading about them on here, what's Kelly's excuse?

They named their kid Warden -- like a prison?

It's one thing to confuse kids, I have only three and I have called them all by the wrong name at some point. A time or two some other random name that came out of nowhere.

BUT... for Kelly to not be able to list off the names of her children, huh? How could you not just roll through the birth order?

That's weird.

*i* can roll through the duggars by birth order, thanks to their tv show :lol: wonder how long it took j'chelle to memorize that list?

I do this, too! My oldest gets called my sister's name often!

I only have 4 kids, but I still call them the wrong names. Lately, I've even been calling a girl the boy's name on accident. :)

My mom does that. She would rattle off my oldest sister, my brother, my aunts, the cat, the dog... until she finally got to my name. Same thing with my grandmother. Heck, I even do it sometimes to LF (I call her my sister's name, the cat's name, my best friend's name- and then LF just rolls her eyes and says "Mooooooooommmmm!")

My mom is a stay-at-home mom with much fewer than 19 kids, and she still gets our names mixed up sometimes. She'll call my brother by my uncle's name fairly often.

Still, it's pretty weird to not be able to easily name all your kids. I can easily name all my cousins, their spouses, and their kids and that's got to be well over 50 people.

I have one kid, who shares a first name (but not middle so not a junior) with my husband. My husband goes by the diminutive, by some goes by the full name with family and the diminutive name at school & friends. And yet I still call him the wrong name.

But if someone asked me to name all my first cousins, which is about the same number as the bates kids I could do it. And I haven't seen some of them in 3 decades since I was a child!

Wow, I cant believe Kelly couldn't name all of her kids!

I think Michelle and Jimbob can do it because of the introduction to the show-I first learned to do it by imagining it in Michelle's baby voice as she reads out the list of kids. I bet they couldn't do it when not in birth order though. I can name them not in order though, lol.

I cant name the Bates kids though. I can name the older ones but not the younger ones.

My mom sometimes would call us by the wrong name, and I have called the kids by eachother's names as well as calling the kids the pets names. Once called the baby a good kitty. And the kitty a good spider. I think its a parent thing. Even more, my uncle always calls me by any of his kids names-he has 4 kids and is doing the Duggar naming thing, and his letter is the same as my first name.

I call my daughter ANABEL by my dead dog, NELLIEBELLE's name all the time. I even call her by the dog's nicknames. But I had Nell for 17 years. The kid's only 3.

I have a grand total of one grandchild. Occasionally I'll call him "little puppy" instead of "little buddy," and call him by my dog's name. I am praying that he doesn't secretly hate me and think I'm insane.

Archived