IGNORED

Sparkling Adventures in Child Neglect - "Gayby" is Born!

• Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply

link?

I don't feel comfortable linking to his fb page, but he posted a lot of comments on Red Gypsy Lauren's post about school/education. That's how I found him.

thank goodness the baby arrived safely - both dads have posted on FB, and they do look very emotional and happy.

fingers crossed this still all ends up, well I was going to say ends up ok, but I think I'll opt for I hope this doesn't still end up in a clusterfuck.

NOT to sound all prudish and conservative and whatnot . . . but were the dads actually in the birthing tub? Does that strike anyone else as a little eww? And why does the one dad have his shirt off?

It sort of looks to me like they are trying to recreate the photo-ops that accompany a more "traditional" birthing situation, and the one dad is taking the place of the woman.

It's not really that big of a deal, and I definitely don't want to sound homophobic, and I'm sure welcoming a child into your life is very emotional and stirring. but it just strikes me as a little odd. Sorry in advance for offending anyone.

I hope the new parents shower their son with love and that lauren and her precious girls have closure and healing.

The one Dad may have had his shirt off to do the skin to skin contact snuggling right after birth.

I am with you on the birthing tub- I wouldn't even want my partner in there. The doc would have to give me some serious drugs to allow anyone else in.

It strikes me as odd because they are so proud of being Gold Star (or whatever it's called) Gays. Wouldn't they have see her vajayjay if they had been with her? Wouldn't that disqualify them?

Glad the baby is here and OK -- he's gorgeous. I hope Lauren doesn't screw this up somehow, and that the guys turn out to be good parents.

It looks like Ben has changed his name to be more Icelandic - he was Ben Mathis, now he's Sæþór Benjamín Randalsson (Randalsson is not August's last name, BTW, so that part is not due to taking the spouse's surname - maybe Ben's dad is named Randal?).

So, let me add the hope that he really is immersing himself in his husband's culture for the long-term, and not just posturing, or just as likely to bounce off to somewhere and someone else when this gets dull.

It strikes me as odd because they are so proud of being Gold Star (or whatever it's called) Gays. Wouldn't they have see her vajayjay if they had been with her? Wouldn't that disqualify them?

i was wondering the same thing! But in a tub birth it's difficult to see anything in detail, really.

i was wondering the same thing! But in a tub birth it's difficult to see anything in detail, really.

Maybe it's a healthy sign -- maybe that was mostly a joke with them, and they are not so childish after all.

I must say that Ben still looks much more emotional and involved than Agust in those pics, but then, Agust looks pretty low-key in all pics, so maybe that's just his more reserved nature.

I wonder how Lauren's girls are, and where they were during the birth.

Hopefully these guys are normal guys when Lauren's not around, and will go back to being normal when she gets the hell out of the picture. They look very emotional and happy, so maybe they were a bit, well, odd, because they had to play along with Lauren so she wouldn't bolt.

Actually, the dads look great to me -- just like my son & DIL when the grandchild was born. Thought that the happiness & emotion were sweet and a good sign. Their previous online musings about being parents, children, etc. in their now-disappeared blog did NOT inspire a lot of confidence in their ability to be parents of a newborn.

Now, it would be good to know that the Sparkling One and her children will be OK.

I love how there is no focus on Lauren other than a "thank you" nod. I love that the photos they have posted are of their little family of three. I don't know what Sparkles expected from this whole situation but she doesn't look like part of the inner circle in any of those pics.

Maybe this will bring things full circle for her - a boy was lost, a boy has been created. Maybe surrogacy is perfect for her - she loves being pregnant. She just doesn't seem to like the kids much once they are born so maybe giving away a baby suits her needs.

I just hope her mental state remains stable so she can get the girls home safely.

NOT to sound all prudish and conservative and whatnot . . . but were the dads actually in the birthing tub? Does that strike anyone else as a little eww? And why does the one dad have his shirt off?

It sort of looks to me like they are trying to recreate the photo-ops that accompany a more "traditional" birthing situation, and the one dad is taking the place of the woman.

It's not really that big of a deal, and I definitely don't want to sound homophobic, and I'm sure welcoming a child into your life is very emotional and stirring. but it just strikes me as a little odd. Sorry in advance for offending anyone.

I agree with you, and I was going to post the same thing. All you see of Lauren, who was kind of a big part of the birth process, is a little bit of hand. The photos definitely look like they're re-creating the typical just-post-birth scene.

God, I hope Lauren is going to be emotionally OK.

I just came back home and I can't close my mouth.

Either way, congratulations to the new fathers and I hope Lauren and the girls are okay! I hope they get home safely and don't go on another trip for a while, I think it might be beneficial to just stay home/in their area for a bit.

Had to race over here as soon as I saw the post. Desperately hoping the girls can deal with leaving a boy in Iceland.

The hand you see in the pic is the midwife, it's gloved.

Cord burning is is a ceremonial way of separating the baby from its placenta. Nothing weird about it, it's just different.

Fathers in the birth pool. Another common occurrence. im betting he was in there because he caught the baby.

I can understand that for people who don't have much experience with home water births, some of it can seem a bit weird. You could continue to keep your mind closed or you could use it as an opportunity to see that there is more than one way to lovingly bring a child into the world.

I think this will be a touch and go period for Lauren and her girls, however I think the moments captured at their sons birth are spectacularly beautiful. The arrival of a baby is always miraculous regardless of the setting or birth choice.

It looks like Ben has changed his name to be more Icelandic - he was Ben Mathis, now he's Sæþór Benjamín Randalsson (Randalsson is not August's last name, BTW, so that part is not due to taking the spouse's surname - maybe Ben's dad is named Randal?).

Icelandic names don't work like most Western names. They don't have family names. Instead everyone is [First Name] [Father's first name]'s son/daughter. (Matronymic names are also possible, but uncommon. Some people also have inherited surnames, but again, AFAIK it's not common.)

So Ben's dad's name is "Randall" which makes Ben "Ben Randall's son". (Don't know where the Sæþór comes from, but it's an Icelandic name.)

When you get married your name doesn't change, because that wouldn't make sense at all.

I wonder whether the gayby will be Daniel Valor Ágústson. Maybe the other dad will be sad that he can't pass his name on? (They could also name him Daniel Valor Laurenson, technically.)

Archived