IGNORED

Do the Maxwells really have friends?

SPHASH

Wow they have a nice friggin house. How old are they? Mid-twenties? I am way older and have slaved away at jobs for years and only have 1/2 of an apartment that's not nearly as nice as their place . . .

BUT I get to wear pants and sleep in and eat whatever I want and read novels and not have eleventy babies. So overall happy to be me.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I must admit, I was truly surprised when the Maxwells announced their open house. It seems so un-Maxwellian to open Joseph's house to non-family members, and to socialize with any random acquaintances that comes through the door. It's nice to see that their refreshments were a decent offering of sandwiches, cakes, and punch. The Maxwells seem pretty stingy with their food offerings to guests (of course, this is coming from a Chinese gal ;) ), so it seems Joseph and Elissa put some effort into their open house.

I've noticed the new Maxwell wives tend to be a little more generous than their in-laws. I remember Anna-Marie put a lot of effort into the refreshments for the Maxwell caroling party when she was first married. And while the barbeque at Joseph and Elissa's wedding wasn't visually appealing, it was at least substantial food. They didn't just serve cake, punch and mints. I wonder if Joseph will allow meat in the burritos now that he's living a couple of blocks away from the compound :D

NR Anna quit it with the mother & daughter matching frumpers.

Joshua looks like he is a handful& since he's the first grandson I'm sure her gets away with everything. I don't think he's cute.

I also do not think the Maxwell women are attractive. Crazy eyes... Gummy smiles... Bad hair.

NR Anna needs a hairdo. Sorry, not sorry.

Wasn't Elissa very active in 4H? Maybe other groups? She is probably a very social young woman and is going to have a difficult time adjusting to the isolation of being a Maxwell. I think we can expect to see the sparkle in her eye fading as she realizes what "socializing" means in the compound.

So what happens when Steve and Teri and all the other oldies kick the bucket? Will Sarah at 60 or 70 be completely friendless other than her siblings? I guess in one way it was good that Steve had a reversal otherwise Sarah would only have her two brothers and their wives as her complete support system. At least now she has 7 siblings and assorted in-laws.

Maybe when Teri and/or Steve go into a nursing home Sarah can meet other children of of the inmates. Just think! She could have a chance of getting married at age 70 if she plays her cards right.

So what happens when Steve and Teri and all the other oldies kick the bucket? Will Sarah at 60 or 70 be completely friendless other than her siblings? I guess in one way it was good that Steve had a reversal otherwise Sarah would only have her two brothers and their wives as her complete support system. At least now she has 7 siblings and assorted in-laws.

Maybe when Teri and/or Steve go into a nursing home Sarah can meet other children of of the inmates. Just think! She could have a chance of getting married at age 70 if she plays her cards right.

According to a corner the girls have skills. Like art.

Their definition of friends isn't the same as most people's definition.

There wasn't anyone there their own age who they met at school, work, the gym or even church and hung out with and established relationships with.

Their guests were Steve selected and approved.

i think she'd be okay, as long as she can establish friendships in a work or volunteer setting. I think she's going to be one of those people who needs to constantly be doing something to feel confident.

Do you mean residents? Or should Sarah start visiting the correctional facility at Leavenworth to snag a man?

Maxwell chidults don't need friends who aren't their siblings! That's the second rule in Maxhell. Rule #1 is Stevehovah is god & no one is above Stevehovah. Not even the God they act like they worship.

Maxwell chidults don't need friends who aren't their siblings! That's the second rule in Maxhell. Rule #1 is Stevehovah is god & no one is above Stevehovah. Not even the God they act like they worship.

So they create their own heaven too?? Steve decides who will go to hell and who will go to heaven.

If none of the Maxwell girls marry, I can imagine Sarah living out her days with her sisters in their parents' house, depending on her brothers' for financial support, spending her days praying, cleaning, writing her Moody books, and babysitting nieces and nephews. If Sarah is left the only unmarried sibling, I imagine she will move in with one of her siblings, probably one that have need for a babysitter and maid. I imagine Steve and Teri will gift their house and whatever assets left to the unmarried sibling(s) to help cover their expenses. Whatever happens, it will be a sad, sad ending for Sarah. She's an unmarried woman in a culture that prizes marriage and children for women above all else. I guess she will live out her dream of family through her Moody books, one of the few productive outlets she is allowed. It really is sad the position fundies have for unmarried women. They are forever "children", having to depend on siblings for money and companionship, and never having a household of their own.

I'll be very honest here: Joseph looks like he's lost the conquest, on top of the world vibe and has softened up quite a bit. Elissa seems happy.

Now what concerns me deeply about these latest photos is A, B, and C. In EVERY SINGLE PHOTO, Christina is "smiling." I don't know of any child that young that can smile that widely ON COMMAND. It's really not so much smiling as it is baring her teeth. And the picture with all three girls and Drew? They look like they're smiling for their lives for fear of getting beaten to death if they don't. In addition, they all have their arms wrapped around one another in a desperate attempt to go the extra mile and appear as sweet and as loving as possible. Even C.

That is not what little kids look like, and those smiles are not natural. I'm not even creeped out, I'm disturbed and seriously upset for those children.

Do we know if the Maxwells (any of them) spank their children? I don't think I've ever read anything from them about that.

And my prediction is that Sarah will never marry (of course), and that Teri and Steve will give their house to Nathan and Melanie since they seem to be in the lead of the game in terms of # of children and will need the space. Although Christopher and NR-Anna seem to be in competition, so that could go either way. And depending on how big Gigi's house is, that will also come into play as to who gets that one. It will just be one big housing swap over at the compound. Joseph and Elissa will attempt to fill their home with many blessings so will stay put for at least a few years.

On a board I used to belong to "precious moments" referred to quality time spent alone with a battery powered device. Can't get past that definition whenever I see them...

I never liked Precious Moments figurines. They always look like someone shoved a finger (unexpectedly) where the sun doesn't shine.

A few months ago, Steve posted in a blog the home would be left to his unmarried daughters.

Was there any qualifier to that statement? "If" the girls remained unmarried, or did it read like he was absolutely assuming that they'd all die spinsters?

I'll be very honest here: Joseph looks like he's lost the conquest, on top of the world vibe and has softened up quite a bit. Elissa seems happy.

Now what concerns me deeply about these latest photos is A, B, and C. In EVERY SINGLE PHOTO, Christina is "smiling." I don't know of any child that young that can smile that widely ON COMMAND. It's really not so much smiling as it is baring her teeth. And the picture with all three girls and Drew? They look like they're smiling for their lives for fear of getting beaten to death if they don't. In addition, they all have their arms wrapped around one another in a desperate attempt to go the extra mile and appear as sweet and as loving as possible. Even C.

That is not what little kids look like, and those smiles are not natural. I'm not even creeped out, I'm disturbed and seriously upset for those children.

It does look like a fake smile. But then i guess that runs in the family (comparison photo)

post-10046-14451999665515_thumb.jpg

**also, that photo of the girls in the kitchen reminds me of a few scenes in the '70's Stepford Wives movie. :?

i couldn't stand it if my hubby's family not only renovated the starter house but also came over frequently to host parties. It would feel too much like a commune or something, but maybe Elissa doesn't care about having her own space.

It does look like a fake smile. But then i guess that runs in the family (comparison photo)

i couldn't stand it if my hubby's family not only renovated the starter house but also came over frequently to host parties. It would feel too much like a commune or something, but maybe Elissa doesn't care about having her own space.

That's the issue I have with the whole thing. Weren't Steve and Terri using it as office space for awhile? Can we assume that the other Maxwells were as well? Sarah for her writing or editing for example? That would make it very easy to see Joseph's house as an extension of their own and to walk in and take over. Hopefully Elissa has enough confidence to set good boundaries where the Maxwells are concerned because I doubt Joseph does.

The (now) ex-husband of a friend of mine gave her one of those precious moments figurines for every single occasion. He even bought her a display case. My friend hated those figurines and gently tried to ask her then husband why he kept buying those figurines. He said that his mother loved them and he assumed all women adored them. When they got divorced - he got a hefty settlement (as he was an unemployed philosophy phD and my friend was a busy trauma surgeon) to which my friend agreed to on the condition that he take back ALL of the figurines.

The (now) ex-husband of a friend of mine gave her one of those precious moments figurines for every single occasion. He even bought her a display case. My friend hated those figurines and gently tried to ask her then husband why he kept buying those figurines. He said that his mother loved them and he assumed all women adored them. When they got divorced - he got a hefty settlement (as he was an unemployed philosophy phD and my friend was a busy trauma surgeon) to which my friend agreed to on the condition that he take back ALL of the figurines.

they look fragile but i heard about one that survived a tornado and ended up in someone's yard. :lol:

they look fragile but i heard about one that survived a tornado and ended up in someone's yard. :lol:

It is a **~!MIRACLE!~**

Amazing how mileage varies! I see B & C's goofy little grins as spontaneous and natural expressions of childish delight. I grieved when A went from the nose-scrunching to a more demure, restrained, closed-lips smile. I felt happy to see the little ones mugging and A looking genuinely tickled. Even showing some teeth!

Do agree that Joseph's countenance reflects something better. He looks approachable now, not like he's gonna snot all over you as he tells you how damned you are. Props to Elissa!

I left a comment, polite mind, asking about friends. I said I noticed that the only people at the open house who were the same age as Joseph and Elissa were siblings. Then I asked if they had any friends their own age. Didn't get approved unsurprisingly.

Archived