IGNORED

Mormon Church Openly Discussing Joseph Smith's 40 Wives

FaustianSlip

Well dang. Last month it was a piece on their magic underwear.

Must be some serious re-branding going on over there.

i wonder exactly what's prompting this "transparency" for one, and for two how transparent is it really?

This is entirely speculative on my part, but I think the church has finally realized that they can't continue to ignore the information available to members through the internet and retain any credibility whatsoever. I would be shocked if they haven't been losing members, either to inactivity or actual resignation, for years due to members stumbling upon this kind of information online, bringing it to their church authorities and demanding answers and getting obvious hedging and lies. Twenty or thirty years ago, it was much harder to find stuff like this information about Smith's wives, but now? It's at the click of a button. So the church has figured out that their only chance is to get ahead of the curve and present the information themselves.

Personally, I don't think this is going to work, because the church waited way too long to do this. It should've happened a good fifteen years ago, minimum. I'm also curious to see if this triggers a small exodus of people out of the church when they realize they've been lied to their whole lives. Probably won't, though- Mormon culture is very strong, especially in the Mormon corridor.

On exmormon.org, I read about how missionaries are meeting a lot of potential converts who change their minds about conversion because of what they've read on the 'net.

I suspect they're trying to retake control of the information about the church, since exmo.org does such a good, well-referenced job of making Joseph Smith look like a conman. IMHO, the horse is already out of the barn.

It'd be really great if they also admitted that I'm not descended from a long lost tribe of Israel and that my skin color isn't a curse from God. I don't know why, but I find that deeply offensive.

It's not like they can deny or hide this information, it's freely available to anyone with an internet connection, so better to present it yourself in the best light possible.

It's great they're trying to show they're open about their history. Still, who bases an entire religion around a creep like Joseph Smith?

Ask yourself why there is so much misspelling in the book of Mormon and when Joseph Smith was asked by the publisher if he wanted the book edited he said No that the book was Gods words. I didn't know God misspelled words since he is the almighty,The Perfect Supreme Being and Creator of the Universe.

Also there's no documentation that has Joey making the statement that an angel told him he had to take multiple wives or die. The Mormon Church was born out of lies and deceit by a lazy assed oversexed deviant con artist.

It's not like they can deny or hide this information, it's freely available to anyone with an internet connection, so better to present it yourself in the best light possible.

It's great they're trying to show they're open about their history. Still, who bases an entire religion around a creep like Joseph Smith?

For those born into Mormonism, it's a part of their culture, especially if they grew up in the Mormon Corridor. There are those who are inactive in the church, but won't resign because their families would completely shun them if they did leave.

Uhg. I am in a state of permanent eye roll with the Mormon church.

I really don't understand how people can trust church leaders or text that is supposedly straight from God and yet they get to recant the inconvenient and unpopular parts like polygamy and intense racism, not to mention the totally bizarre American nationalism. I mean, they believe an entire population of evil, dark-skinned people inhabited North America, killed all the righteous fair-skinned Christian folk, and then evolved into the Native American Indians. They gradually included some black people but how can you truly believe in a text that says dark skin is a "mark" to begin with? How do you take a text seriously when you can't believe it in its entirety?

I agree that Mormons overall are probably having difficulty dealing with their more "secret" beliefs and rituals being easily available online, but I do think they still seem to be having a decent amount of success converting people. I watched a video of whatever their equivalent of adult baptism/officially joining the church is called (can't remember), and it was some seriously bizarre, masonic weirdness, that's for sure. A bunch of people in robes and veils doing freemason secret handshakes and learning secret codes to prove you're a real, certified Mormon when the end times come. Veils and doors and white marble and baptism of dead people. Creepy and unsettling.

For those born into Mormonism, it's a part of their culture, especially if they grew up in the Mormon Corridor. There are those who are inactive in the church, but won't resign because their families would completely shun them if they did leave.

Its to bad we can't remind all these Christian Religions who shun members of their family that Christ was a loving God and would object to banishing their own blood for whatever infractions their shunned may have committed. Judgmental isn't in Gods Vocabulary But it is in theirs so they are not living a Christian Life.

Well that would be fun :lol:

When Joseph Smith was killed the Mormon Leader at that time Brigham Young promised that one day the Mormons would take over the U.S. and rule it almost like a police state making people convert or die. This ideology has carried over into the modern world and we see more and more Mormons running for public office and taking jobs in government. Also the CIA, FBI and Secret Service recruit members from Brigham Young University to train to work as undercover agents while posing as Mormon Missionaries. It has been widely known that the Missionaries have no problems learning languages of other countries in less time than it would take to train anyone else for covert positions in countries that the U.S. Government fears is a danger to American Soil and its citizens. When Romney ran last time the Mormon Brethren set the stage at their Temple in Washington DC to position their Elders at the Temple so that they might play a part in the running of this Nation using Romney as a Puppet while they controlled the Power of the Presidential Office. The Mormons are a very dangerous cult. No one should underestimate what they will do if Romney wins a presidential election.

Re exmormom.org: Several posters there have mentioned seeds of doubt planted not by those outside LDS, but by actual, approved Mormon church histories and documentation. They'd bring these things up to fellow church members, only to be told, "That isn't true" or "I've never heard of such a thing!" or, in the case of leadership, "I don't know that we teach that anymore." Mormon theology is, from what I've read, amazingly fluid.

And, what EscapedCardinal said: "They're trying to set the stage for Romney 2016." *ding ding ding*--I think we have a winner, folks.

It's interesting they are willing to open up about Old Joe's wives and the magic underwear, but I bet it will be a very, very, very long time before the big guys at the top open up about where all the $$$$ goes.

I was shocked when a coworker told me that their local congregation has no paid employees- all the Bishops and other leaders are volunteers. They even ask the congregants to take turns cleaning the building rather than pay janitors. They even make the guys riding around on bicylces pay to go on ther missions.

So of course I asked her, where does all the money go? and she was like, well some of it goes to help the needy but honestly, I don't know where the rest goes..... :whistle:

It's interesting they are willing to open up about Old Joe's wives and the magic underwear, but I bet it will be a very, very, very long time before the big guys at the top open up about where all the $$$$ goes.

I was shocked when a coworker told me that their local congregation has no paid employees- all the Bishops and other leaders are volunteers. They even ask the congregants to take turns cleaning the building rather than pay janitors. They even make the guys riding around on bicylces pay to go on ther missions.

So of course I asked her, where does all the money go? and she was like, well some of it goes to help the needy but honestly, I don't know where the rest goes..... :whistle:

All non-profits, since they expect the taxpayers to pay their tax bills for them, should be required by federal law to publicly disclose where 100% if their income comes from, and how 100% of it is spent. Maybe not down to how much is spent on toilet paper and Windex, but cover those sorts of things as "maintenance supplies."

I know a Mormon man who couldn't afford his mission, and it caused him a lot of grief. There's a reason a lot of Mormons hope their mission will be somewhere in the US. It's a lot less expensive than going to Paris or Monaco, especially if you've for the expected bunch of kids. You can't be poor and still be a Mormon. Missions are mandatory, with very rare exception.

All non-profits, since they expect the taxpayers to pay their tax bills for them, should be required by federal law to publicly disclose where 100% if their income comes from, and how 100% of it is spent. Maybe not down to how much is spent on toilet paper and Windex, but cover those sorts of things as "maintenance supplies."

I know a Mormon man who couldn't afford his mission, and it caused him a lot of grief. There's a reason a lot of Mormons hope their mission will be somewhere in the US. It's a lot less expensive than going to Paris or Monaco, especially if you've for the expected bunch of kids. You can't be poor and still be a Mormon. Missions are mandatory, with very rare exception.

That's true that missions are pretty much mandatory for Mormons, even if the church doesn't admit it. Boys especially are pressured by their families to go on a mission as soon as they graduate high school, or turn 18 whichever comes first. Women are indoctrinated to only consider a returned missionary to marry because they're all taught that temple weddings are a requirement to get into the highest level of the afterlife. I do think that the reason the ages for missionaries were lowered is that the cult leaders were scared that Mormons were marrying later than they had in previous generations, so they were having fewer children. As it is, their membership only really grows successfully when Mormons have larger than average families because once someone grows up in that culture, it's much harder for them to leave.

Its to bad we can't remind all these Christian Religions who shun members of their family that Christ was a loving God and would object to banishing their own blood for whatever infractions their shunned may have committed. Judgmental isn't in Gods Vocabulary But it is in theirs so they are not living a Christian Life.

THIS! A thousand times this!

I was shocked by the Mormon press blitz when Romney ran, but it didn't have a lot of substance, just smiling multi-racial people. This seems like a completely different kind of press reaction. Clearly, some BIG PR changes are happening in Salt Lake. They are doing all this with the polygamy and the magic underwear for a reason.

I've always been oddly interested in polygamy as a religious practice. I almost think I'd have more respect for Mormons if they just stuck to polygamy, which was one of the major requirements of their faith and one of the main reason they were persecuted. It's all there in Joseph Smith's own words. Instead, they let those yokels on TLC fight their court battle and try to pretend that was just a phase.

According to my Mormon friend, some of the tithes go toward subsidizing tuition at BYU. Interestingly enough, she and her husband went to big, state colleges and don't want their kids to go to BYU because they want them to experience diversity at college and not be somewhere so insular.

Disclaimer: I was actually raised in the Mormon church as a child, but my family left (thank goodness!). Only my oldest sibling is still an active member. I am *technically* a member, according to the Mormon church, and every once in a while they come around looking for me.

It'd be really great if they also admitted that I'm not descended from a long lost tribe of Israel and that my skin color isn't a curse from God. I don't know why, but I find that deeply offensive.

Oh indeed, and along those lines, I'd be much obliged if they'd quit posthumously baptizing my family members who were slaughtered in Europe during the Holocaust.

Oh indeed, and along those lines, I'd be much obliged if they'd quit posthumously baptizing my family members who were slaughtered in Europe during the Holocaust.

or any death people with family who don't know that their grandparents have been baptized.

For the record: Mormons have a significant family history center in France, with data which they do not normally have the right to access because of secularism. But in 1945, they threatened to cancel the Marshall Plan if France did not give them access to the data ...! So in France (and the USA, and around the world), Mormons have access on data on YOUR family that they illegally obtained or obtained by threat.

(oh, and Romney hate France because he has made his mission here, in Bordeaux, and they have never succeeded in converting someone when he was there ... :lol: )

There was a group of schoolers who were excommunicated a while ago because they said That there was no historical information to back up history in the Book of Mormon.

Archived