IGNORED

Daddy Arndt on Marriage and God's Timing

0 kids n not countin

I'm pretty sure that Cathy doesn't have her hand on Wizzy''s abdomen in any of W's Bday pix.

I think the steep decline in the larger community interest in the Arndts has everything to do with the surfeit of unmarried brothers. A few years ago the fam team softball tourney had 3 or 4 Christian members of the St. Louis Cardinals and its management participating as well as nominal support from one of the area TV stations. This year? Bupkis. It's a weird situation and we aren't the only civilians to notice it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally unrelated: What's up with the way some of the Arndt guys talk?

I haven't heard all of them talk, but so far especially Nathan, Caleb and Jude sound really strange to me. I can't decide, but they either sound like some of the earlier text-to-speech synthesizers or like they are deaf. Their prosody is so ... unusual.

Is that a regional accent? (If so why do only some of them talk like that?) Does anyone know?

How do they sound to you native speakers?

I haven't heard all of them talk, but so far especially Nathan, Caleb and Jude sound really strange to me. I can't decide, but they either sound like some of the earlier text-to-speech synthesizers or like they are deaf. Their prosody is so ... unusual.

Is that a regional accent? (If so why do only some of them talk like that?) Does anyone know?

Like someone said before, it's a house full of men with no testosterone. They talk like 10 year old boys in a 30 year old man's body. I do not think it is a regional thing - just a family oddity.

Speculation its part regional accent coupled with fact that the younger ones don't roam far from home (aside from Vine Valley excursions, where they don't mix with locals beyond some Mennonite families.) Daddy Arndt also has an odd speech pattern. So as you go down the line, it's almost as though the younger kids start developing an accent of their own.

Some of the older sons sound fairly normal, but they are out in the world doing depositions and weddings.

Many posters have commented on the boys' birthday photos; always in the same place in the parents' bedroom, and almost always with Mommy placing a protective hand on her sons' abdomens. I've never seen her do it with Mary.

Here's the latest with 16 year old Caleb. One photo like this, perfectly fine. 10 or 12 photos like this posted every year for years on end, totally creepy.

20141102_112559.jpg

I was just thinking I can't imagine having Momma Arndt as a MIL. I am just imagining her going off on her daughter in law and then flouncing off in the white shorty shorts.

After watching their video of a few of the brothers traveling to Florida to photograph a wedding, I always pronounce it Flor- i- dahhh in my head.

In less than 2 months they are going to have 11 adult children in that house. In less than 3 months, they will have 4 men over 30 living at home. Only 3 of their children will be underage, and 2 of those will be teenagers.

John is 32. I wonder if it ever occurs to him that they way "God" is "leading" his life there will be no special someone out there for him. They may be "prepared", but nothing they are doing is actually bringing them to anyone.

Do they talk about the possibility none of them will marry? Or are they all in total denial about the reality of their lives?

Crazy! I really think the Arndts really get creepier with each passing year. I first discovered them around the time the first Duggar special aired and my first reaction was that they weren't as crazy as the Duggars since Mom wore those white shorts and the boys did housework. That was like ten years ago back then there were a few of marriageable ages but several were still pretty young. Mark had a whole bunch of postings about when he met the right girl. I assumed they would start marrying and leaving home soon. Now nothing has changed much except they've gotten older and I found out about their penguins. :penguin-no:

*steaming* Either the software or my laptop ate my perfectly phrased message.

Lucky you guys! Here's the bullet points w/r/t their speech, and I live closer to them than is comfortable *at *all:

- Their accent is pretty typical of the southern Illinois / metro St. Louis area. The word "clock" is not pronounced "clohck," for instance, but "claahck."

- They're nasal. Again, there are lots of pollens and allergens around here, and Cathy seemed to have the same adenoidal (my term) pitch.

- Annoying habit of ending a statement with a upturn in inflection? So a statement comes out sounding like a question?

Not having to do with speech nor with their possible weddings, but if I hired a videographer who delivered sweeping scenes of the floor of my church? I'd refuse to pay? You know what I mean!?!?! :roll:

so they sound like click and clack? i need to watch some of the Arndt videos :lol:

click and clack: cartalk.com/

eta: oh my gosh, Tommy passed away. Nov. 3 :(

this was one of my dad's favorite radio shows.

Interesting, I read Daddy Arndt's conversation with John as "hey, how about you start thinking about finding a girl and moving out of the house?" But then again...we're talking about the Arndt's, so I'm likely wrong.

The Arndt's have their own special family culture, or if you ask me, their own Borg Collective. :borg: (I've been waiting for the moment to use the Borg smiley!)

Could you imagine if they actually went as far to bring a girl home - it would be daunting to try to fit into their culture. And it's not like you have books to read up on the "local customs" so to speak. It goes wayyy beyond feigning a love of baseball, probably as far as making a sacrificial offering to Mama Arndt.

Of course we don't know the inner workings of this group, but I don't get the impression they are all that interested in leaving the compound. The connection to the mothership is too strong.

Just hope it doesn't end up in a 7 Brides for 7 Brothers type scenario.

Might be the only way those guys get married but at the same time, Momma Arndt's head would explode.

Could you imagine if they actually went as far to bring a girl home - it would be daunting to try to fit into their culture. And it's not like you have books to read up on the "local customs" so to speak. It goes wayyy beyond feigning a love of baseball, probably as far as making a sacrificial offering to Mama Arndt.

The girls would have to like K'nex. And stuffed penguins. Also participate in Daddy's eternal film project. And be OK with decorating the bedroom with bedroom sets geared toward kids because the guys aren't going to grow up.

Couldn't pass up this gem on Dad's Diary:

This could have been prompted by a horny/frustrated John challenging his father's notions about God as matchmaker. I don't believe for a second that the continuous harmony Daddy projects in their videos and from their website is real. There has be some strife; they aren't robots.

Boys, I am a non-magical thinker so I believe very strongly that no one is playing matchmaker for you. But even if you are right and there is some God somewhere controlling the cosmos, do you really think this entity gives a rat's ass who you date on Saturday night? Seems to me that's more than a little narcissistic.

Sounds to me like adult child was interested in finding a wife and was told to wait on the Matchmaker.

Yeah, in case those "you'll go blind" warnings are true. Of course getting real jobs in the evil world, or enrolling in even a fun course (I know wine tasting is out, but there are others) or volunteering somewhere without preaching, just might bring THE ONE into your life........... I hate to give the Maxwell's any credit what-so-ever but at least a FEW of their adults have been allowed to get married and move down the street!

This could have been prompted by a horny/frustrated John challenging his father's notions about God as matchmaker. I don't believe for a second that the continuous harmony Daddy projects in their videos and from their website is real. There has be some strife; they aren't robots.

Boys, I am a non-magical thinker so I believe very strongly that no one is playing matchmaker for you. But even if you are right and there is some God somewhere controlling the cosmos, do you really think this entity gives a rat's ass who you date on Saturday night? Seems to me that's more than a little narcissistic.

My 2 cents... The Arndt boys are the most docile, passive, brainwashed people you will ever meet. No one is challenging daddy Arndt's notions about God as a matchmaker, believe me. They are drinking the Koolaid hard. At this point, the "God will bring you a wife" angle is the only thing they have. They are simply incapable of ever going out on their own, getting a girls phone number, and calling her for a date. That's what normal guys do. It takes testosterone to do that and the Arndt boys have no testosterone. The Arndts aren't normal.

What's truly amazing is that they have 10 adult kids at home and absolutely none of them have moved out or seem to even entertain the idea. I'd like to know what they put in the water or something.

Saltpeter from the sound of things.

I don't understand how the Arndts expect their sons to meet anyone by keeping them so close to home. Obviously, any woman who is independent enough to enter their sphere on her own is too "worldly". They expect their sons to meet "virtuous" women...who are somewhat cloistered at home...but they wont let their sons go out into the world to meet these women...

It has nothing to do with God, it's just a strategy that cannot work!

That's why the fundie model is doomed to fail, imo.

I've said it before--the Arndts are just a few steps away from being an X Files episode.

Like this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_%28The_X-Files%29

Wow, that is a disturbing episode.

About the Arndts: i can't get over the bedroom birthday poses with their mom's hand on their abdomen. What is that? Freaky.

And, about them being in their 30's and not dating -- well i can testify that fundie life is like being in a time warp bubble. Without getting out around strangers and interacting, time passes and every day is the same as the day before. Playing with legos, no big deal. My sisters and i played with dolls into our early teens, i'm embarrassed to admit we even pretended to homeschool them. It got elaborate. I didn't get completely free of the bubble until i was in my mid-twenties and moved into my own place. It was a drastic change. The Arndts kids are emotionally slow. Even working won't break the spell if the job is mundane and routine with very few chances at interpersonal interactions with strangers that CHANGES often.

Something weird happens to fundie parents, even educated parents. They lose their grip on reality somehow, they don't connect the dots that their kids need to be independent and free. I hope this movement ends at just a couple generations. i don't know what happened in the '80's when homeschooling became popular and being religiously strict caused so many parents to withdraw their kids from society, but it's damaging. A lot of fundie parents aren't facing reality, and their kids suffer for it.

That's why the fundie model is doomed to fail, imo.

If the Arndt parents REALLY wanted their sons to meet women without leaving the "safety" of the house, the parents could match them up themselves. We all know there are plenty of frumper-wearing fundie women out there who'd be eligible candidates.

But they don't want them to leave IMO. It's two neurotic parents, and an especially neurotic mother, who will obsess over those kids FOREVER. If one of them breaks free it'll be a miracle. She's the kind of mom I could see slowly poisoning her children just so she could care for them when they're ill - yikes. I obviously say that in a jokey way and by no means am accusing or assuming anything...but she has a very unsettling relationship with them, and sometimes people who take caregiver roles to the extreme do NOT have the best interest of those they are caring for in mind. It's more about keeping them dependent on you than actually helping them in any way. It's messed up.

If the Arndt parents REALLY wanted their sons to meet women without leaving the "safety" of the house, the parents could match them up themselves. We all know there are plenty of frumper-wearing fundie women out there who'd be eligible candidates.

But they don't want them to leave IMO. It's two neurotic parents, and an especially neurotic mother, who will obsess over those kids FOREVER. If one of them breaks free it'll be a miracle. She's the kind of mom I could see slowly poisoning her children just so she could care for them when they're ill - yikes. I obviously say that in a jokey way and by no means am accusing or assuming anything...but she has a very unsettling relationship with them, and sometimes people who take caregiver roles to the extreme do NOT have the best interest of those they are caring for in mind. It's more about keeping them dependent on you than actually helping them in any way. It's messed up.

Like the kind of guys who claim to be "protective" of women when what they mean is controlling.

Like the kind of guys who claim to be "protective" of women when what they mean is controlling.

Yep. And it can be even more insidious from a parent IMO. Nobody wants to believe their parent doesn't really have their best interest in mind. It is surprisingly and unfortunately common for parents, nurses or other caregivers to do things that physically, emotionally or psychologically harm those they are caring for, and when they get called out on it, everyone is in disbelief because they have convinced everyone they're "selfless."

I SO hate the idea that God will just plop a wife on their doorstep without any effort at all on their part. Do they just sit at home starving wait for God to put dinner on their table every night? Or if mom or dad was having a heart attack, would they just wait around at home hoping God makes it go away? Why aren't they supposed to put a bit of effort into finding a spouse?

There's no doubt in my mind that those men (boys) are so controlled by their parents that if their mom or dad brought them a woman and said "here, son, I found your wife," they'd run to the church and get married. So the fact that none of them are married implies that's never happened IMO. Their singleness is very much intentional on their parents' part,

so they sound like click and clack? i need to watch some of the Arndt videos :lol:

click and clack: cartalk.com/

eta: oh my gosh, Tommy passed away. Nov. 3 :(

this was one of my dad's favorite radio shows.

I know, so sad. I made the mistake of listening to the in memoriam episode at work. Cue me hiding in a bathroom stall hoping no one can hear my sniffling.

I know, so sad. I made the mistake of listening to the in memoriam episode at work. Cue me hiding in a bathroom stall hoping no one can hear my sniffling.

He'll be missed. Such a great show. :romance-heartsfade:

Archived