IGNORED

In which robert eats chips, salsa, and coffee together

jerkit

How does nearly every single fundie seem to skip the part where their precious Jesus sat down with all the sinners and treated them all equally? And why do they all claim to be sinners, yet feel like others' sins are always SO MUCH WORSE?

I know people mean well when they try to give examples for why a woman is a single mom (widowed, abusive ex, rape), but it's not doing anyone any favors. Just like when abortion is excused by rape or whatever to make it more palatable to the right. No one should ever have to justify their life decisions to Robert or anyone else. I can't seem to put into words why this leaves such a bad taste in my mouth when it happens here. Maybe because it feels like it cheapens the experience of a woman who divorced because she fell out of love, or a woman who aborted simply because she didn't want a baby at that particular time. These reasons are just as valid as any other and we need to be impressing that on people instead of trying to give them a gotchya! type of moment.

I really do see where you are coming from with this, and I think it's a good point.

I will say that I think the impetus behind giving "excusable" examples is not to invalidate the other examples (which most of us here would have no problem with) but rather to show that his reasoning and assumptions do not make sense even within his own professed belief system. Whether that intention is realized in a positive way or does more harm than good, as you point out it might above, is an important question as well, though.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on the top of the world looking down on creation and the only explanation I can find....

It never ceases to amaze me how Robert and his ilk just assume that They would be in Jesus' inner circle of approved Holy friends.

It never ceases to amaze me how Robert and his ilk just assume that They would be in Jesus' inner circle of approved Holy friends.

Also really, how about that fundie favorite pasttime of Catholic bashing? You know, the church Jesus established with Peter... what if Jesus popped on down here and said the RCC is the One True Church and get to it?

Major fundie head explosions.

I'm sure I'll have more to say when I get through this post. But his description of drinking coffee at a mexican restaurant while eating chips and salsa made me a little queasy.

I know, right? When we lived in Japan and Okinawa, coffee/taco shops were a common sight.

A lot of these fundies are some of the least Christian people I know...atheists who are accepting and forgiving and empathetic are better "Christians" than people like Robert. (I realize those qualities are not limited to Christians, but they were important to just a slightly important figure in Christianity - Jesus - so you'd think people who profess to live Christian lives would try to embody some of those qualities as well).

Men like Robert find single mothers incredibly threatening- especially if they appear to be doing a good job. If your whole existence is predicated on your role as sole provider and protector of the weaker sex, then the presence of successful single mothers calls your whole existence into question. In the past social taboos effectively kept single mothers from succeeding. As these taboos have been eroded- single mothers in church!!!- the role of men has had to change. Obviously women are capable of heading up families. For most men this isn't an issue. They have no problem being equal partners with women, but for Robert, whose self-esteem is wholly dependent on having his wife look up to him as a demi-god, the change in society is disastrous.

Exactly. I couldn't find the exact post on his blog because I couldn't stomach too much of his writing, to be honest but he said something about churches that teach about "Jesus and miracles and stuff" and not enough about marriage.

Uh...

Boobert...

Aren't you a Christian? Y'know, someone who worships Jesus? Why is it offensive that churches would teach about him? He IS supposed to be the main focus of your religion, isn't he?

I'm sure I'll have more to say when I get through this post. But his description of drinking coffee at a mexican restaurant while eating chips and salsa made me a little queasy.

My In-laws would totally do that. They are as odd as two left feet.

Robert is whining about how his readership is down. Whomp whomp, sad trombone.

Hmm... funny that his readership dips about the same time FJ stops following him so closely. It's almost like we make up way more than 1 out of 15 readers! :lol:

Robert in a comment:

Christians are as divided as Republican’s and Democrats.

:pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair:

ROBERT. The apostrophe again. Are you doing this just to piss me off?

HOW CAN HE GET ONE WORD RIGHT BUT THE WORD RIGHT BEFORE IT WRONG.

Robert in a comment:

:pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair:

ROBERT. The apostrophe again. Are you doing this just to piss me off?

HOW CAN HE GET ONE WORD RIGHT BUT THE WORD RIGHT BEFORE IT WRONG.

He's either truly the stupidest person ever or he's doing it on purpose.

It's hard to check your punctuation when you're busy staring in the mirror and whispering "Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me."

It's hard to check your punctuation when you're busy staring in the mirror and whispering "Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me."

Oh. My. God.

I'm in love with you!

Ha..I'm a single mom and I didn't even have to have sex to get a baby, since I adopted my baby! Does that mean I'm still slut?

Ha..I'm a single mom and I didn't even have to have sex to get a baby, since I adopted my baby! Does that mean I'm still slut?

Please stop being a DECTRACTOR!

He's either truly the stupidest person ever or he's doing it on purpose.

Now, now, we all know that Lori is the stupidest person ever.

But CM is a close second.

Thank god those two didn't marry and have kids. The sheer volume of stupid ...

Now, now, we all know that Lori is the stupidest person ever.

But CM is a close second.

Thank god those two didn't marry and have kids. The sheer volume of stupid ...

I've decided that, of the two households, Amanda is probably the most intelligent. Interestingly, we rarely hear from her.

I think that makes you a wonderful person.

Also, how does he know that they're all single moms? Perhaps they just don't wear wedding bands for whatever reason, and/or don't come to church with thier husbands.

Also, I love coffee with everything!

I've decided that, of the two households, Amanda is probably the most intelligent. Interestingly, we rarely hear from her.

Sadly, yes. Although, Boobert will never recognize that fact because Amanda's "hormonal issues", in his mind, dull her intelligence and leave her only fit to man the griddle.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
I don't believe that Amanda has "hormonal" issues or mental illness or whatever Bob's claiming (it changes based on his agenda, I've noticed).

I mean, this is anecdata, but: My mom dragged me to every child psychologist in town. Every one of them diagnosed me with something different. I don't remember what-all except ADHD and Oppositional Defiant Disorder. The one that most bought my mother's horseshit swore I'd be in prison most of my adult life. As it turns out, I have anxiety and depression, like lots of people. No personality disorders, I've never been to jail, I've never even gotten a speeding ticket. My college GPA is fine and my house is... well, it's a hell of a lot cleaner than my mother's. I was a sullen, withdrawn kid because my parents expected me to be a miniature adult and punished me in extreme and inconsistent ways for minor, developmentally normal misbehavior. In short, my so-called "psychiatric problems" were predictable emotional responses to living with a lazy, narcissistic asshole.

I would be completely unsurprised if Amanda's so-called hormonal problems and health issues vanished if she weren't living in the middle of nowhere with a self-centered, grandiose moron who thinks it's impossible to rape your wife because Jesus says she's your property.

I would bet Amanda's hormonal/mental issues started right about the time she said "I want a divorce."

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
I don't believe that Amanda has "hormonal" issues or mental illness or whatever Bob's claiming (it changes based on his agenda, I've noticed).

I mean, this is anecdata, but: My mom dragged me to every child psychologist in town. Every one of them diagnosed me with something different. I don't remember what-all except ADHD and Oppositional Defiant Disorder. The one that most bought my mother's horseshit swore I'd be in prison most of my adult life. As it turns out, I have anxiety and depression, like lots of people. No personality disorders, I've never been to jail, I've never even gotten a speeding ticket. My college GPA is fine and my house is... well, it's a hell of a lot cleaner than my mother's. I was a sullen, withdrawn kid because my parents expected me to be a miniature adult and punished me in extreme and inconsistent ways for minor, developmentally normal misbehavior. In short, my so-called "psychiatric problems" were predictable emotional responses to living with a lazy, narcissistic asshole.

I would be completely unsurprised if Amanda's so-called hormonal problems and health issues vanished if she weren't living in the middle of nowhere with a self-centered, grandiose moron who thinks it's impossible to rape your wife because Jesus says she's your property.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
Agreed 100%. The amount of stress that poor woman must endure every day of her life being stuck in Boobert's home would be enough to make anyone unwell.

I have a secret dream about starting a church someday, an all inclusive one where people can be people. Same-sex couples, with or without kids? Come on in! Single parents (and who cares how you got that way)? Here's a place for you! Your kid is special needs and has verbal tics that might happen during the service? Sit right here! GF bread is available for communion! Sister has something she wants to preach on? What kinds of audio-visual equipment will you need for your sermon, Sister? Old, young, poor, rich, families with neurotypical kids, families with special needs kids or adults in the family, everybody would be welcome, seriously welcomed into the church!

Alas, with people like Robert around, this kind of church is not a likelihood any time soon.

Archived