IGNORED

The adult kids pay?

PegBundyOfFundies

Reality t.v. Kids are not financially protected like child stars are. I remember reading this about the Kate plus 8 kids. They are not members of SAG(I think that is the actors union?)so unless the parents are putting money away for them..like mama June did..they may not see a penny. There has been talk (media) about the working conditions for child reality stars as well as no legal provisions for finances..there are simply no laws at this point. I am guessing that the older kids receive some type of allowance per month. We know they like to shop at Walmart. I too have wondered if the kids, once they reach legal age, receive their own contracts from TLC. I would certainly hope so as they deserve to have a nest egg... especially for the girls. They are not educated much beyond SOTDRT ( college plus doesn't count)or allowed to work so they have few if any opportunities to build up their own nest eggs.

Considering that Jim Bob doesn't allow his kids to kiss until he tells them to none of these kids receive anything. He probably tells them jesus wants him to have the money. If JB gave his kids money they could probably escape or buy ungodly things. Better to keep those little darlings under control.

They must get paid directly from TLC if they are over 18. Pretty sure there are laws about this. And the younger ones too. At least a percentage of it must go to a fund in their name.

Coogan laws apply in California, and even then it's a total of 15% that must be divided up among the minors. Parents can ask a judge to give them control of the account to spend supposedly for the child. How sad that kids who are in film and screen are only entitled to 15% of their earnings, which is negotiable. Outside of California, forget about it.

There is no way Jim Laden can be keeping the adult kids' money from them. They must get paid directly from TLC if they are over 18. Pretty sure there are laws about this. And the younger ones too. At least a percentage of it must go to a fund in their name. He makes me sick. (just thought I would add that) :pfft:

There's no protection of minor children in reality shows in Arkansas. Yes, there are laws in other states (California, New York, and, IIRC, Pennsylvania due to the Gosselins), but not in Arkansas.

No way are the Duggars getting $100k an episode when Jon & Kate were making around $21k an episode. The last year of Jon & Kate had something like 10 million watching. The Duggars will never see those kind of ratings. TLC does not pay like Bravo or MTV because the ratings are no where near as high and the shows are not as profitable. This isn't Jersey Shore or Real Housewives where everyone is talking about what is going on and the ratings are huge. No one is talking about the Duggars, no matter how much People Magazine is pushing them. Realistically, they are just not as marketable because there are not a lot of people that can relate to them.

Also, we know TLC tends to pay in one check. No way are they going to pay each adult separately. It's too much money for diminishing returns. Although, Josh and Anna may now get a separate check, it wouldn't be much, maybe not more than a few thousand dollars, if that. If the new married couples get money, it will probably be the same. Most people on TLC shows earn little to nothing, they just sign a waiver so that their likeness can be shown. This is one of the reasons the Aunt on Jon & Kate was no longer filmed because she asked to be paid. She never received a dime and was just signing releases for each episode she was on, which were a lot the first season. I am sure the adult Duggar kids have always just signed the release. No way are they each making their own money and then paying taxes on it. Money means independence. Not going to happen in Duggar land.

Even if they did get paid separately, I bet that the adult children "choose" to give Momma and Daddy the money. Just like they "choose" not to kiss until marriage and not to hold hands until engagement. Why would the brainwashing and control stop with a paycheck? The kids would just hand it over to their parents, because those are the house rules.

IF one of them breaks free completely, then they might have the independence to say, "Mom, Dad, legally I am being paid by TLC and you can't take that check from me." But that would be the day we see one of them move out and make independent, free choices for themselves.

Even if TLC pays the adult children of the Duggars, it wouldn't surprise me if they are "strongly encouraged" to turn their earnings over Osama Bin Duggar and Mullah Michelle.

Nah- there are no separate checks...that would be a contractual and logistical nightmare. JB negotiates for the entire group and gets the paycheck. Not sure how it's distributed or if it all remains in a trust in JBs immediate control.

why would that be a logistical nightmare? Even small businesses have software programs that manage to cut checks for their employees and TLC is a big organization with probably a big payroll department to handle that. I tend to agree that they probably pay with one check too, especially for JB/M and minor children, but they may be separately paying the kids of majority. Or, they pay a single incorporated entity, and then that entity holds in trust the money for the family members.

If JB and M do not share any of this money, then they should be very ashamed of themselves.

BTW, doesn't total net worth of 3.5 million seem a little shy? I would think with their appearances, books, speaking engagements, magazines, the show, and JB's various business ventures, that they would have more money than that. If that is accurate, then they better find a way to keep the TLC train a rolling, cause he won't be able to get the rest of those kids married off and placed into jobs on that fairly small amount. And he best stop buying Planes and tricked out buses.

why would that be a logistical nightmare? Even small businesses have software programs that manage to cut checks for their employees and TLC is a big organization with probably a big payroll department to handle that. I tend to agree that they probably pay with one check too, especially for JB/M and minor children, but they may be separately paying the kids of majority. Or, they pay a single incorporated entity, and then that entity holds in trust the money for the family members.

If JB and M do not share any of this money, then they should be very ashamed of themselves.

BTW, doesn't total net worth of 3.5 million seem a little shy? I would think with their appearances, books, speaking engagements, magazines, the show, and JB's various business ventures, that they would have more money than that. If that is accurate, then they better find a way to keep the TLC train a rolling, cause he won't be able to get the rest of those kids married off and placed into jobs on that fairly small amount. And he best stop buying Planes and tricked out buses.

Well, would they all get paid the same amount per episode? Would the TH Jill get paid the same as the near selectively mute Joseph? Would each adult negotiate their own contract? Who would determine fair market value salary for each participant? What if someone missed an episode (think Josiah) would they also miss a paycheck?

Well, would they all get paid the same amount per episode? Would the TH Jill get paid the same as the near selectively mute Joseph? Would each adult negotiate their own contract? Who would determine fair market value salary for each participant? What if someone missed an episode (think Josiah) would they also miss a paycheck?

Just all speculation, but I would think that once they are 18, they would sign and have separate contracts. Negotiate, I'm sure that's an option. They may pay them based on how much screen time they have per episode, probably a base rate plus a per-minute rate. Yes, and if they miss, no pay, perhaps just the base. Seems fair and not that complicated. Then TLC could strongarm the entire thing by putting a clause in JB's main contract that states if any of his important adult children don't sign their contracts, the plug gets pulled on the whole thing. I'm sure they have a lawyer and manager at this point to iron out the details. It's not a job frying french fries.

Just all speculation, but I would think that once they are 18, they would sign and have separate contracts. Negotiate, I'm sure that's an option. They may pay them based on how much screen time they have per episode, probably a base rate plus a per-minute rate. Yes, and if they miss, no pay, perhaps just the base. Seems fair and not that complicated. Then TLC could strongarm the entire thing by putting a clause in JB's main contract that states if any of his important adult children don't sign their contracts, the plug gets pulled on the whole thing. I'm sure they have a lawyer and manager at this point to iron out the details. It's not a job frying french fries.

Since it's being speculated that Jill is having a hard time adjusting to being alone during the day and none of the other unmarried, adult kids has ventured outside of the home to live, I am wondering if any of them could or would negotiate a work contract all on their own (help outside the family could be problematic)? JB wins or JB wins. An unfortunate downside to this type of training is that kids are dependent and critical thinking skills are less than stellar.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I just do not believe that the kids 18 and over are receiving their own, salary negotiated paychecks. Josh, probably, but not the rest.

Ahh, thanks, I kept thinking it was the name of some exec from TLC who ran the show.

I really don't think 100K per episode is all that much money, especially if it is a lump sum for the whole fam damily. If they had to pay each one separately, it would easily cost that much. Compared to non-reality tv shows, 100K is pocket change. Most shows are paying each individual close to that much if not more, so for TLC to get a cast of about 25 regulars, for 100K is a pretty good bargain.

Mr. N the Prayer Closet and I are both college graduates and raising three children. $100,000 for a few days of work is a hell of a lot of money to us!

More than likely it is a Family Limited Partnership

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Limited_Partnership

JB maintains control as the General Partner, everyone else is in a Limited Partner

All payments go to the FLP.

How would these kids have even the ghost of an idea that they have rights when they become legal adults? They have been living in an isolated bubble.

I would not be surprised if JB gives them very little money and tightly controls how they spend any funds they actually get. Can't see them going shopping or deciding to go to Univ of Arkansas without JB tightly tightly controlling the purse strings.

It really all comes down to the contracts that were signed. TLC learned a LOT after the Kate + 8 implosion and they do try to take care of the kids on their shows. Example: They are providing a lot of support for the Honey Boo Boo kids in the aftermath of all that... stuff.

Legally, all the adults over 18 on the show get their own paycheck and contracts... no questions. Who knows what they choose to do with it or where they put it.

Let's go back and assume that the 100k an episode is about right... Half of that is gone from various taxes right off the bat. I also wonder if that figure is what EVERYONE on the show earns as a lump sum (producers... camera... family... etc). That seems SO high for just the Duggars. It's also not gonna be divided equally... it's probably based on screen time. I'm guessing overall, Jessa has around $30-50k total that she could claim as "hers". Nothing to sniff at... but not enough to live off of.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this: Although JimBob is a tightwad and a control freak, I really don't believe he is going to intentionally screw his children over in the long run. And if he did, those kids all have access to TLC who would use their lawyers to remedy the situation. They don't want another Mama June situation where they have to dole out cash because she holds it all.

Archived