IGNORED

The adult kids pay?

PegBundyOfFundies

Forgive me if this has been posted before. I was just skimming through some of the topics here, and theres alot of (rightful) snark about the Seewalds not having the money to start out their marriage successfully because Ben nor Jessa work. At first I agreed, but then I started thinking that Jessa does work, she's been earning a check since she was 11 as a result of family exploitation hour with Jim Bob and Michelle! Since she's been 18, shouldnt she have been signing her own separate contract and check from her parents? The Duggars are oft quoted as earning 95k an episode; if we round that up to 100 and divide by 20 (counting Boob and Jchelle as one) every kid is entitled to 5k an episode. Of course JB "holds" the check for the littles, but in the past 3 years Jessa shouldve earned at least 250K for her participation after 18; that amount of course rises for Jill, JD and Jana, and Josh.

Is it legal for JB to make them put their checks in the communal family account, like I suspect he's doing? :angry-banghead:

ETA i'm sure that Josh, and even John David and Joseph get to maintain their own accounts, but i'm really concerned for the older girls, the J'Slaves: theyre still under their fathers headship :music-tool:

I am not convinced the kids get paid directly. Or if they do that JB still doesn't take it from them and manage it as a family business.

With the SAHDs, they don't likely have much experience managing money, so I could see JB keeping their earnings, and putting them on an allowance instead, out of fear that they wouldn't do well with their money, or, if they had access to a large amount of money, they might bolt. And while we know from one of the old shows, that they learn about Bankruptcy SOTDR, who knows if they have learned about things like child labor laws, legal age of 18 and earning their own money. IN the girls minds, they are not independent adults, well, ever, I guess. I was going to say until they get married and move out, but in reality, even after marriage they are not independent either, since they have a headship.

I think while living at home, they get some pocket money. And once they move out and are married, then he may have it set up like a trust or some kind of monthly income. If they do 20 shows per season, and get a few thousand per show each, then they could have a yearly income in the 100K range before taxes. This is surely a good amount of $$ for a couple in their 20s to be earning. And I would imagine living expenses near the homestead are not high. They could live on half of that easily and bank the rest.

But, it really isn't enough for them to be secure for their whole life because as we know, the show will end eventually. I have no idea of TLC pays royalties for re-runs or if they are getting some of the $$ from paid downloads or not, but I don't think even if they are it will be enough to pay for 20 households, all with lots of children.

When JB gave poor Ben his standard "You need to have the means to support a family speech" of course I laughed because we all know that in the real world, Ben is not at that point yet. But I wonder what it does to the headship/helpmeet dynamic, when the family is supported by the wife's money, and not the husband's.

At some point, these people are going to have to find another way to earn money.

If the adult Duggarlings do get checks made out to them in their own names, I strongly suspect that Jim Bob encourages them to put the money back into the Duggar trust. He likely tells them that he will save it for them and that when they marry, he'll cut them a check to help them start their new marriage. I don't really think Jim Bob pays them what he owes them because he probably promises them future help, like for business and other expenses.

The proof is in the pudding. So far, no one has been able to locate a single asset in the name of a Duggarling. Not one of the houses, not the car lot that Josh "ran" for awhile, not John David's plane, and I suspect not even Jinger's pricey camera with the telephoto lens. All of it belongs to the Jim Bob Duggar trust.

I'd like to see one of the kids actually keep track of what he or she has earned whenever a check is signed, and then later sue Jim Bob for the money so that kid could start a new life. But then, that child would likely be ostracized from the fold, just for wanting what is due. :(

That's what is sad about this level of control.....Jessa should have plenty of money to start supporting herself (and nothing wrong with a woman earning more than her husband), but it's all probably been kept from her.

I don't think they make anywhere near $100,000 per episode. Where did you read that? It's often said that the Gosselins were making around $20,000 or $25,000 an episode when they were at their most popular and the Duggars are, overall, less watched than Jon and Kate Plus 8. But I don't think their pay is public knowledge so I guess we really don't know either way, but $100,000 per episode is a lot, and probably not very realistic.

I don't think they make anywhere near $100,000 per episode. Where did you read that? It's often said that the Gosselins were making around $20,000 or $25,000 an episode when they were at their most popular and the Duggars are, overall, less watched than Jon and Kate Plus 8. But I don't think their pay is public knowledge so I guess we really don't know either way, but $100,000 per episode is a lot, and probably not very realistic.

Starcasm/Answers.Com, which are hardly reliable sources in hindsight :embarrassed: . The most reliable source was a reality producer who said they probably earned 10 percent of the budget costs per episode. He estimated the production budget as being 250k-400k an episode, which would put the Duggars at a much more modest 25-40K an episode. That figure was in 2009, and probably has risen since then.

Even if it is significantly less, Jessa's dowry shouldve been sizeable; even if it wasnt a quarter mil it shouldve been more than enough to ease her and Ben into life as a couple, she has earned enough to not be explicitly under JBs control.

I'm sure Jim Bob has that money locked up tight; and no child will ever see much of it in cash.. perhaps a bit in goods. Used goods.

ETA: Peg, honey, I LOVE your avatar..

I think the conservative estimates of around 30 - 40K per episode are pretty realistic. Plus, TLC picks up a few tabs here and there. I'm sure the " Duggars Do Asia" trip was on TLCs dime.

Do we know who recieves the royalties from the girls book ( Growing up Duggar) and if they divvy up speaking engagements? I guess I don't really have to ask, but I'd like to believe the girls are the sole earners from their book profits.

I'm pretty sure JB has a corporation set up and all of the money from TLC, books (including the girls' book), and speakingg engagements goes to the corporation.

I'm pretty sure JB has a corporation set up and all of the money from TLC, books (including the girls' book), and speakingg engagements goes to the corporation.

I agree. I don't think any Duggar (with maybe the exception of Josh) has their own account or own money. JB probably gives them all an allowance from the corporate account each month. He wants to keep control of all his kids, even those married and out of the house. Jill probably is under this arrangement too, even thought Derrick should have his own bank accounts because he is working and probably hands her money over to him to manage. Jessa and Ben definitely are since Ben is "working" for JB.

It just shows the level of emotional control that JB has over his kids. Their lives are setup where they never get close to anyone who would even point out how messed up the dynamic is.

I think all the money goes to JB- and he doles it out, or not as he sees fit. I think he thinks by feeding, housing, clothing, providing transportation, that is enough. I doubt that even Josh gets a separate TLC paycheck....perhaps that is why he moved to DC, to get his own paycheck over which his dad as no control.

These kids should all be part of the SAG.

Unless TLC bought the Gosslins their home, they had to have been making a great deal of money per episode. Neither of those parents has worked in a couple of years (with decent, sustained earnings + benies) and there are 2 households to maintain (one a large property), and 10 mouths to feed and support. 20-40,000/epi would not have cut it, IF the Gosselins have a mortgage on that large home.

I agree. I don't think any Duggar (with maybe the exception of Josh) has their own account or own money. JB probably gives them all an allowance from the corporate account each month. He wants to keep control of all his kids, even those married and out of the house. Jill probably is under this arrangement too, even thought Derrick should have his own bank accounts because he is working and probably hands her money over to him to manage. Jessa and Ben definitely are since Ben is "working" for JB.

Yep, it's not even just the Duggars though, from what I heard during the Honey Boo Boo scandal is that TLC prefers to do it that way for families(when it comes to the shows paycheck.) I don't know if the Dillards and Seewalds will now get separate checks now that the ladies name's have changed. I'm positive because of change in location that Josh and Anna get their own.

I read something about a family bank account, but I think I read about it here, so don't quote me. :lol:

Well if Jill has money...why couldn't she buy her own house? But then again, no mortgage gives her & Derick time to save up a shit load of cash. Same for Jess & Ben. Unfortunately this show will be on for a while with all the wedding & baby stuff. This will definitely get Ben money to live off. Not worried about the financial part. Just concerned about long term goals for when the show is no longer around. Plus the pressures of an early adult life at only 19. If it weren't for TLC checks, there is no way he could have pulled of this relationship.

Unless TLC bought the Gosslins their home, they had to have been making a great deal of money per episode. Neither of those parents has worked in a couple of years (with decent, sustained earnings + benies) and there are 2 households to maintain (one a large property), and 10 mouths to feed and support. 20-40,000/epi would not have cut it, IF the Gosselins have a mortgage on that large home.

I've been to the Gosselin home... not IN it, but outside along the road. Believe that there has been some very clever editing to make it seem as if the house is set VERY far back from the road. It isn't. It's on a couple acres of ground in a rather rural area of Pennsylvania. There is a very skimpy bit of woods to the side and back of the house. Remember when they got the play houses? They are in those woods, and there are really not that many trees. The house is clearly visible from the road, and the drive way isn't that long. There is a gate with a speaker to the house.. so you can't just drive up to the house.

The house was previously owned by a gynecologist in the area, according to the friend who took me to see the house. The house is on a two lane road with very small shoulders with ditches... and most of the houses close by have their trees posted "DO NOT STOP HERE!" So you actually do risk getting rear-ended if you just stop on the road to look the place over. While it is a large house, and while TLC probably footed the bill for the kitchen re-do, it's not a luxury mansion.

There is no way Jim Laden can be keeping the adult kids' money from them. They must get paid directly from TLC if they are over 18. Pretty sure there are laws about this. And the younger ones too. At least a percentage of it must go to a fund in their name. He makes me sick. (just thought I would add that) :pfft:

who is Jim Laden?

It's a play on Jim Bob's name- Osama Jim Laden. I haven't heard it before, actually, very clever. :lol:

It's a play on Jim Bob's name- Osama Jim Laden. I haven't heard it before, actually, very clever. :lol:

Ahh, thanks, I kept thinking it was the name of some exec from TLC who ran the show.

I really don't think 100K per episode is all that much money, especially if it is a lump sum for the whole fam damily. If they had to pay each one separately, it would easily cost that much. Compared to non-reality tv shows, 100K is pocket change. Most shows are paying each individual close to that much if not more, so for TLC to get a cast of about 25 regulars, for 100K is a pretty good bargain.

I think the person who said that it is paid to a corporation is probably right. I don't know much about business financial structures, but maybe the contact with with Duggar Inc, and then the kids, are "employed" by Duggar Inc. Maybe they even get to buy in as partners when they get to the age of majority. This would most definitely inspire them to continue to play the company line, because if the company grows and prospers, so do all of them.

JB would no doubt be the CEO and master of all things, and so he can still keep them all in line.

The Duggar kids have grown up with a fair amount of luxury and it would take a lot of personal strength to walk away from that. Some of the other Fundie kids who have bolted, probably didn't have as much capital to walk away from.

There is no way Jim Laden can be keeping the adult kids' money from them. They must get paid directly from TLC if they are over 18. Pretty sure there are laws about this. And the younger ones too. At least a percentage of it must go to a fund in their name. He makes me sick. (just thought I would add that) :pfft:

Which laws? Are these state or federal laws?

Which laws? Are these state or federal laws?

Yeah those are California laws, I think. I would be surprised if Arkansas had any laws on the books for reality tv stars/child actors.

California's were only recently because of the Octoplets and Paul Petersen were reality tv kids recognized as child actors, before he sued the mom there were no laws that connected them.

It's true that once they hit 18 they would have to sign their own contracts, but Boob could insist the money go to the corporation - or list them all as corp members/partners and pay them that way.

Hope none of the older ones are stupid enough to keep agreeing to it. I have hope for Derick with his accounting degree, but ... He might bend to Jill, who would rather have him work for Boob

Archived